May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,094 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
My hypothesis.

For Wonko - it was the No. 7 shot

Nonsense. The larger shot provide more resistance and keep the powder from burning too fast.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah...now I understand the mystical qualities of 5 1/2 shot!

Now how do these decrease recoil while increasing velocity and range?? Do they put sodium bicarbonate in the air chamber to extinguish burning fibre wads also?

And a blessed day of Thanksgiving to all. Despite the frustrating BS, I'm thankful for most everyone here, and for this site
https://sites.google.com/site/anotherdaysjourneybackhome/worship/be-thankful

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.
So I was shooting quail in South Georgia this weekend and, after taking a shot at a bird, the guide said it sounded like the gun doubled. I knew it hadn't and wasn't too concerned until I looked down the right barrel and found a piece of the wad firmly wedged in there ...

Maybe I missed something but did you get the bird by chance? I'm guessing not, but if you did,that would be something to add to th puzzle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Now how do these decrease recoil while increasing velocity and range?? Do they put sodium bicarbonate in the air chamber to extinguish burning fibre wads also?

Simple. The cushioning provided by the wad, identical in action to most plastic wads you'll notice, allows the gun to held tighter and with more substance to push against the shot go faster. And the faster wads stay ahead of the flame front and don't catch fire.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was totally unaware of the fact that the "Law" stating actions have an opposite & equal reaction had been repealed.
Anything I read stating that Velocity & Range have been increased while reducing Recoil I take with a Very Large Grain of Salt.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fortunately for you the "you learn something new every day" business is still going strong.

I'm always happy to help out the less well informed.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonko;
Thanks for all the help, think I'll just pass on this bit of it though. If all the tricks, gadgets etc Ive seen or read about over my life time which increase velocity while reducing recoil actually worked guns would be pulling away from us today rather than recoiling.
Only thing which has ever given me that sensation was a 3.5" Rocket Launcher. It of course is just an open tube for aiming the rocket, while thrust all goes out the back. the forward pull comes from the friction of the rocket traveling down the tube.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.