March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 81 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 80 81
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gil,
She is not as white as she appears in the photo. There is some ticking on her back, and scattered here and there.

There is still a lot of white dog there, however, and it will raise hell with me being able to see her once there is a foot or so of snow on the ground, any day now, in this part of the world, usually. The Gordon was much easier to see in the snow.

Stan, I ran into a really old local in the woods today, hunting with an Iver Johnson 16 gauge single shot. Said it was the only gun he had ever owned, and he had killed lots of game and deer with it. He had it loaded with steel shot, he didn't know how it was choked (ignorance truly can be bliss) and it was a classic "zero %" finish gun.

I actually had, in the Nitro Special, the nicest gun in the woods today. That I saw, anyway.

More ignorance. And, bliss.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Worth Matthewson, writer, duck hunter, and author of "Big December Canvasbacks" wrote that he was shooting a Field Grade L C Smith when steel shot came out. He agreed with the use of steel even before it was mandated, and began using it in the Smith, which was choked extra full in both barrels. He used it for years until taking it to a gunsmith to have some minor problem seen about, and was told he shouldn't be shooting steel in it, especially with such tight chokes. The Smith had digested, and burped, those steel loads for years with no discernible barrel issues!!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Before steel shot was even being talked about, there were plenty of A5s that had bulged muzzles. They were fairly light in profile, and healthy slug and buckshot loads in lead would do that to them.
I have no desire to find out which guns bulge, and which don't, running steel.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Before steel shot was even being talked about, there were plenty of A5s that had bulged muzzles. They were fairly light in profile, and healthy slug and buckshot loads in lead would do that to them.
I have no desire to find out which guns bulge, and which don't, running steel.

Best,
Ted

The only drawback I found to 16ga is lack of upland or target light steel loads in shot sizes or 6 or 7. It is unlikely such loads would damage that IC-Mod Ithaca Nito Special. The only steel loads I seen is the CIP Magnum Federal and Remington NitoSteel designed for duck hunting.
I read article years ago where a fellow fired about 500 rounds of steel through Parker Bros hammerless with fluid steel barrels. The conclusions were that if the gun is of adequate construction and choked modified or less and small steel shot size modern ammunition is used there will be no damage to the gun. Despite several efforts I can't find that article again.

The 12ga and 20ga shooting fellas are lucky I have seen Winchester Expert Steel #6 and #7s at Walmart for $ 5.94 per box.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

PJ,
I don't shoot steel. I have about 40 rounds of Heavi-Shot that was purchased a while back, and have used 2, thus far.
Mostly, I stay out of areas that require non-tox. This is the first time in about 10 years I have been on Sherburn. It is less than an hour away, and was just a good armed hike, today. The bird was a bonus.
The chokes on the Nitro are cylinder, and modified, by the way.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Nice bird Ted! Good for you (& Louie).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Owen that is a great deal! I can only imagine the turkey that are there now

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't seem to take a good picture these days. Not taking too many good shots either. But today, we got a few acceptable shots and a marginally acceptable picture.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job, Brent.

Is that SKB you changed the forend on?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is an SKB, but I bought a second one and decided to switch buttstocks which slowed the whole process, and I never got it done on the front or the back - yet.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 29 of 81 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.