March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I understand that quality glass reduces eye strain and I believe this is true but is it difficult to get the glass that clear that the price of these items rivals diamonds? My thinking is that the most valuable element is the clarity of the glass. Please understand I am asking this question for an education on the subject not to show any disrespect for those who have made such expenditures. Where would, say a Tasco World Class scope with Swarovski glass be on the scale with an actual Swarovski? Thank you.

I'm old an can't see as well as I use to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

yes

Sidelock
Sidelock

This depends on the use you are going to put it to. In the south of the UK, most of our stalking is woodland/farmland and dawn & dusk. Deer often appear in the very first or last moments of legal light and premium glass can give you the identification and shot when cheaper glass would have failed.
However, in the Highland the stalking is more day time: getting up to high ground before dawn or extracting a deer in the dark is not really a option. Here, good but not premium glass is just fine.
I have two deer rifles, one equipped with Zeiss Conquest and one with a Hawke Endurance, very much opposite ends of the stalking spectrum. Both are surprising good but the latter seems to lose me 5-15 minutes depending on the light conditions.
My stalking binos are Vortex Viper HD 10x42. They are robust, have a fantastic warranty and a good depth of focus so you can scan without constantly fiddling with focus but last light becomes a real challenge. I have used Zeiss top end on occasion and find that I fiddle with focus endlessly.
Would I pay 3-5 times as much for premium glass? Right now, probably not, money too tight, but if I was D&D stalking every week I would probably do so after a few more frustrating outings!
IF I could find a really objective (no pun intended!), back to back review, I would definitely buy a compromise make at about 1000, not 2500.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quality of the glass, quality of the coatings, design of the lenses, self-imposed manufacturing tolerances, and the ruthlessness of the manufacturers quality control department.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its worth it and yes there is a big difference. Case in point was several years ago while I was at the Outer Banks. Had a Shrimp Boat offshore probably 800 yards out. Three people grabbed their binoculars. One has a set of Leupold 10 power, the other Bushness 10 power (10 x 40mm). The last person (me) grabbed a pair of Swarovski 7x50 (3 less in magnification). The only person who could make out the name of the boat at that distance was me with the Swarovski. They were that different.

Ditto on a deer stand this past weekend. Had a friend with Leupold 3x9 power in a box blind at 645 am and it was just breaking daylight. Doe came out, 8 point came out following the doe in a Rye field. At 75 yards he saw two blobs, one small, one big. The deer walked through the rye field. I was on the other end. 5 minutes later I saw the deer, saw clearly it was an 8 point and shot it. My Scope was a 3X9 Swarovski.

I look at high end optics as something special and something that you buy once and it lasts for 25 years unless you beat the hell out of it.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby hit the nail on the head. It's how badly you feel you need the extra minutes a day of use. When I hunted deer regularly, my rifles all wore Leupolds. I tried some of the European high end scopes on friend's rifles, but I never felt really handicapped with Leupold scopes. Kahles was probably the brightest scope I ever looked through.

My binos were bought used, but I never really knew how good a pair could be until I got them. They are Fujinon, and have no means for focus. Once you focus each eyepiece for that eye, they are always in focus at any distance, from up close to infinity. I didn't even know that feature existed until I got them. Now, I wouldn't have anything else.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
This depends on the use you are going to put it to.

This is it. Exactly.

Another consideration is mechanics. There are scads of sub-$1k scopes with decent glass but poor mechanics. You shouldn't have to rap on an optic to kinda, sorta believe an adjustment you just made. There are very few sub-$1k scopes with bankable turrets that will pass box tests as many times as you perform the test.

But not everyone will ever touch a scope setting once "zeroed" at some preferred distance, with some preferred load.

There are no free lunches. Everything costs. Mechanics. Range of adjustment. Glass. Variable magnification. Reticle. Focal plane. Do your homework so to make conscious, deliberate compromises. Or..........just spend the money, alot of it.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tend to use Leupold VX3 scopes, not top of the line but quite good in my opinion. I am spoiled when it comes to binos after buying a good set of Ziess about ten years ago. Retail price was several times 1K but I paid a small fraction of that by purchasing them through a friend in the business. There is no going back for me now, I am sold on good glass. For a great source of info on good quality binos try visiting some of the bird watching websites. Those guys take good glass very seriously.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Middle priced scopes scopes work pretty well for me, but I insist on the best binoculars I can afford...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where good glass really shines is sheep or goat hunting. When you need to reach to the other side of a valley and size up an animal you just can't have poor glass. Trying to judge whether a sheep is 4/5th curl or just inside a 3/4 curl at 2000 yards is very difficult. You can select to spend a half day humping across the valley and up the other mountain only to find it is a 3/4 curl or you can buy good glass. In those conditions that extends from the rifle scope to the binoculars to the spotting scope.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.