March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a Ziess 15x60, a pair of Leica 12x50 and a pair of Swarovski 8x40. The Swarvoski is without question the best of the lot.

I wish that I had bought a pair of Swarovski 12X50, rather than the first two.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
....So it boils down to compromise. The absolute very best optics glass in the world unfortunately comes in some heavy packages. That's fine if you sit in a stand all day. I chose to sacrifice perhaps 1% on optical quality in order to not feel like I've carried a brick around my neck all day. There are some real sleepers out there if you shop and compare. That's the hardest part, because it is extremely hard to make a valid comparison....

I think it's a good summary Keith. Others have also mentioned that besides good quality, it also takes larger sizes, weight. In rifle scopes and related binocular and spotting scope optics, I also think that Japanese optics have made strong advances into the high end optics market.

Some of the value end Japanese optics are very good, but a big problem is consistency. Including european brands, on the high price end, I think a product can be purchased sight unseen with high confidence. The lower the price, the more I think it pays off to try before buying to attempt to weed out a mediocre one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Totally worth the money. I currently use a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Victory's, a pair of 8x30 Kahles, and a pair of 8x25 Meopta's.

The pair of Kahles were my first pair of high end optics, they've been stalwarts in the field. I've owned them almost 20 years now. About 4 years ago I took them on a duck hunt and they somehow fell out of my pack, un cased into about 1 foot of snow. No didn't know I lost them until I got home and then I spent the next 3 days scouring the marsh looking for them, no luck, and then Ma Nature dropped about 2 more feet of snow in the area..... I found them a few months later, in the spring and fully expected them to be trashed from the elements.
They weren't. Nothing at all wrong with them, just muddy and filthy. After a careful cleaning...they were as clear and sharp as new.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was lucky in acquiring three sets of binoculars over the years and all were acquired by trade or purchased used. They serve distinct purposes. The oldest pair are an odd magnification, but I prefer them for birding. Zeiss Dialycht 6 x 42 roof prisms (armored) that I bought in a local camera shop for $300 and they had been rarely used. 1 lb., 14 oz. I traded a pair of Nikon 7x50 for a pair of armored Fujinon Meibo 7 x 50. I used them on my saltwater rig and for stargazing. They now sit in my desk drawer at work and I scan the horizon from my fifth floor for birds of prey. The Nikons were actually better optically with pin point star images, edge to edge, but were on the delicate side for marine use. The Fujinons are heavy enough to kill a deer with a head strike. I bet they are five pounds. My third pair are Leica 7x20B. Compact and an easy carry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes big difference

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy once, cry once.

Swaro EL's are the best in the world.

Not being able to see to make a safe shot at dawn and dusk is false economy.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: liverwort
I understand that quality glass reduces eye strain and I believe this is true but is it difficult to get the glass that clear that the price of these items rivals diamonds? My thinking is that the most valuable element is the clarity of the glass. Please understand I am asking this question for an education on the subject not to show any disrespect for those who have made such expenditures. Where would, say a Tasco World Class scope with Swarovski glass be on the scale with an actual Swarovski? Thank you.

I'm old an can't see as well as I use to.

I would say NO because in general 2x to 3x jump in price does not give you 2x to 3x jump in performance. If you are curious the gold standard now is Nikon WX 7x50IF designed for observation of night sky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, those lower magnifications are the limit for my use on cold, windy days, half-shivering, arms close to sides to steady them. They're also favoured by our deep-sea trawler captains.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

I would say NO because in general 2x to 3x jump in price does not give you 2x to 3x jump in performance. If you are curious the gold standard now is Nikon WX 7x50IF designed for observation of night sky.

Let me guess... you have a pair on Layaway or a 24 hour hold.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Let me guess... you have a pair on Layaway or a 24 hour hold.

Nope, I have been using Zeiss 7x since about 1990.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.