April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (buckstix, Jem Finch, CJF, skeettx, 2 invisible), 1,089 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
sadly, the passing of upland game hunting in the east pretty much eliminates the practical need for 16 gauge guns...

huh?

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Upon further review all 16's are obsolete like pin fired doubles before them. To open up room for non obsolete guns I am willing to accept some of these obsolete guns. Due to limited space I will start with Graded Fox guns first CE or higher to start. First fifty will be freight paid by me but after that freight cost will have to be paid by the shipper. Please send pictures first.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
"once you pass a Kentucky Fried Chicken on the way to hunt, all practicality is gone."

NO, crazy I'm pretty sure if prepared the right way game meat is healthier to consume than fried chicken at fast food chain. Not picking on anyone particular, but I find it shocking that people who buy chicken tender specials at burger joints actually think they're eating real chicken meat. shocked I mean decent chicken costs about $15 per bird and can't even be purchased at most supermarkets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am looking to purchase an obsolete 16 gauge.

Preferably between the wars, English made sidelock.

If you have one you want to get rid of please send me a PM.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
gls: that is good news...from what i hear, wild game bird populations in the east are so depressed that upland hunting is no longer practical, unless one just enjoys hiking with a good dog, in hopes of flushing an occasional bird...

a notable exception is northern maine, where i understand huntable populations of grouse still survive...

any wild quail left down your way, or is it all put and take stocked birds?

I am getting reports out of the Red Hills area of SW Ga. that this has been one of the best seasons for wild quail in memory. One account was that on one hunt friend had 4 occasions with 3 coveys in the air at once.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, last I heard the plantation wild birds guys in SW GA figured the cost of producing those birds was about $500 per bird. Lots of KY fried chicken for that...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A buddy here figures $1000 (per shot bird) and that's early release. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Giant mistake figuring out the "per bird" cost.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wild quail used to be truly wild and thus free. They were everywhere, even in my yard growing up. We lost'em somehow. When you have to start buying flighted birds at $5 a head to release you tend to do the arithmetic and think in terms of cost effectiveness...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Giant mistake figuring out the "per bird" cost.

This is probably true, except for the fact that there are places that run quail hunting operations as a business where well heeled clients pay big money to hunt.

That said, I'd like to see a cost breakdown to show exactly how it can cost $500.00 or even $1000.00 per bird to raise, release, and allow hunters to shoot them. Those figures would certainly have to include, the accommodations, the land, the property taxes, and every little line item right down to the cost of the guns, ammunition, and the gasoline the shooters used to drive to the plantation.

I think it would be a bit like calculating the cost of sending a child to college by starting with the cost of the diapers, baby food, and childhood vaccinations they consumed as infants. If there was really that kind of money trading hands for the shooting of little game birds, I think Monsanto and Cargill would be getting involved in doing it.

By the way, everyone knows that Kentucky Fried Chicken is healthier than wild game that has been killed with deadly poisonous lead shot. And this forum is long overdue for another thread on hinge pin grease, oil, or both... including their effects upon the environment.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.