April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, obsessed-with-doubles, Leonard10, 1 invisible), 1,024 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,187
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was pulling about $1200 a month after taxes, not including per diem while at OBC, I had a paid off car and no debts. Some months my phone bill hit $500 plus.

I haunted on the Fort Sill Skeet range shooting four times a week, and skipped the bars and other stuff my fellow Lieutenants focused on. I drank enough in High School and VMI and was beyond that by that point.

The maids in the BOQ must of hated me as I spilled lead shot from my reloader all over the carpet all the time.

Life was simple, focused, and good. All I needed was a wife in order to have excellent care for my future hunting dogs. Things have worked out.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was at the Ohio gun collectors show 15-18 yrs ago when my nightmare began. I knew who AO Niedner was and I knew who Tom Shelhamer was, but I had no comprehension of the value of the rifles. I would have been late 20's / early 30's and just hadn't seen anything like that for sale. Anyway, there was a like-new 1922 Springfield with a Niedner barrel and stocked by Shelhamer priced at $1400. I showed it to a friend who was looking at a Mauser 410b pretty hard (for the same money) and he didn't show much interest. Neither of us got it and I think about it regularly

Sidelock
Sidelock

I declined the first graded Remington 1100 F grade as a gift. Did not know the person that well and figured it should stay in her family. The early F grade did not have any gold inlays. It was of course 100% engraved and had a stock with exceptional beauty. I think it was more of a prototype or after that one they decided to add gold inlays. I did buy three Colt Pythons, one 3 digit and two 4 digit serial number, 1K range, NIB from her for a good price. Still have them, NIB. Waiting for my old age. Never would have thought they would go up more than ten times what I paid for them. Insane.

I have missed dozens of bargains over the years and more than that because of lack of knowledge. A few due to lack of funds and more than that because I just wont pay but so much for any gun. Same way about land and trucks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well since we're talking about 2nd Lt. days, that's what I was at Ft. Benning in 1972. I already had a law degree, a wife and house payments. No recollection of what my pay was, but I was glad when that phase of my life was over...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A pair of American Eagle Lugers from the estate of a good friend. I did end up with a 1944 1911A1 from that collection that apparently I've done well on.

Ljutic serial number 1111 with four aces artwork, a spare trigger, and a case. I could have had that in about 1985 for $1,300 but I just didn't have it. I last saw that gun in the rack at Jaqua's for a 'just slightly' higher price.

An as new Greener FH35. Again, lack of funds.

A Kimber Super America. I regularly kick myself over that.

How about an early GSI import Merkel 147E when they first arrived for about 2500? They have doubled.

I could go on...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

...I was glad when that phase of my life was over...Geo

Been saying that for over 20 years. Just when you think youre out, they pull you back in. Judge gave me a choice between the Marines or jail. Ive been second guessing my decision ever since.

Guns, nah. People, a few.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Mine was a German drilling in an odd gauge/ CF caliber mix. It was a work of art. I could have afforded it if I had stretched the budget but in the long run it would have wound up a wall hanger even though the owner said that the odd Euro caliber could be re-chambered for a more common CF caliber, but I let it go.

Back then IIRC states I hunted in did not allow for a center fire rifle and shotgun to be carried simultaneously during small game season. Yet another reason to relegate it to being a wall hanger.

Regards,

Gary

"What you get for free has no value"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blind Eddy the Barber?

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The one I miss, is my first gun that I got for Christmas, it was a Nobel 16ga SxS made in Spain. I had a hard time hitting with it so my Dad let me use a Model 37 20 ga and the Nobel sat in the gun cabinet. In High School I sold to a friend of my Mom's for $100. Twenty five years later I run into the guy I sold it to and he had given it to his uncle in FL and he was sure he would sell it back to me. Well Rob the guy I sold it to passed away before he could get me intouch with his uncle. So somewhere in S. FL is my first gun a Nobel 16 ga, like Stan said, nothing special except..................

Sidelock
Sidelock

My problem is not the ones I didn't buy but the ones I bought and then let them get away. I will be 84 next month and have been addicted to double guns since the 1960s, during that time I have been the caretaker of many but not being rich meant some had to go to make room for the next one.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.