May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim Carney, R. Glenz, bushveld, 1 invisible), 255 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Yes..agree on VC action and patents - they were/are very good. But what's the common denominator amongst all those "HELICE" locks? Is there any? Or is it just a word? We'd have to go through each one to figure out whether it's a VC purloined 4th lock copy or something else. What does a gun with "Helice" on the key mean? If anything? It's got a left stop? It operates on a helical principle as has every center-break gun since Lefaucheux? If you speak of a "Helice system"...it means there's a system. There isn't unless you suppose that every use of the Helice variant means a VC copy....and that supposition can't be supported.

Argo, I would suggest that there is indeed a "common denominator" amongst all those "Helice" locks: The 4 piece "Helice Grip" lock patented by Verney-Carron and very clearly illustrated in the 1922 catalog I have. I believe that if a French maker put some variant of "Helice" on his gun's top lever, that's what is meant by it. Widely used by makers other than V-C once the patent expired. Why does that seem so unusual? Look at the millions of guns made on the Anson & Deeley action--by a plethora of makers. (From various countries, in the case of A&D.)

And I'll add that I owned a V-C gun (first V-C I owned) that was actually called "Helice". It was the Helice 33. I wrote V-C about the gun and still have the correspondence, in addition to the page from their catalog they sent me. It was the first V-C gun to use coil rather than leaf springs. Mine was the top of the line Helice 33 #3, and used the "Helice Grip" locking mechanism. (That's one I wish I still had. It was a 16ga in excellent condition.)

From what I can see from the exterior of my Mondiale, everything looks right for the same locking mechanism. Those features, although based on the "helical principle", are specific enough to state, quite clearly, that if it's the exact same system that V-C used, then it is indeed a V-C copy. What else could it be? And it is a very specific system. What's somewhat unusual is that Mondiale put their name on the top lever rather than Helice or some variant, which is often the case with other French guns--which bear no other maker's name. Mondiale also appears on the underside of the barrels, along with the initials VA after the serial number.

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After trying my best to read what's written on the front of the barrel flats (in a circle above "garanti"), I took a look at Mark Beasland's photo again. Gives me a better view than I can looking at the gun in my hand! It's the name "Pierre Dechelle". Would seem that would be the barrel maker. Can't recall having seen that name previously. Argo?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx

Assume that's a Verney-Carron gun, since Helice Grip is one of their trademarks?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pierre Dechelle. There are several guns with barrels with his name from the late 40's-60's on www.naturabuy.fr. Can't find a lot of history. There is some backing and forthing on Passionlachasse.com with mention of his name. Here is a little clip from an article I can't get total access to:

Rough translation: in the 50's the Barrel maker Breuil took on the services of a well known barrel maker Francois Deschelles, who had begun with the Manufacture National d'Armes. In 1946 Deschelles took over the barrel maker at Rue des Francs-Macons in Saint Etienne. With his partner Paul Terrier he developed the honing of barrels in 1951 and adopted the stamp Pierré Deschelle and not Pierre Deschelle, which creates confusion.

(Note: The only gun maker operating on rue des Francs-Macons was "Damon"..see list above).

Paul Terrier apparently in the 1970's opened a gun repair shop in Saint Etienne (same shop referred to above on passionlachass.fr..).
www.canonnerie-stephanoise.fr/
Notre atelier de réparation de canons d'armes à feu, basé à Saint-Etienne, a été créé dans les années 70 par Monsieur Paul TERRIER et fut ensuite repris dans les ... Etant l'un des trois derniers réparateurs de canons de fusils ou de carabines en France et ayant conservé le savoir faire d'en temps, notre atelier est en

Examples of ads from www.naturabuy.fr:
--Canon FANGET Ame 15.0 Eprouvé Triple épreuve St Etienne Pierre Déchelle Garanti.
--Fusil stéphanois à canon PIERRE DECHELLE ...
--Canon : 3 palmes signé Pierre Dechelle
--CANONNIER JEAN BREUIL ACIER 6 PALMES SIGNEE SUR LES CANONS jean breuil GARANTIE PIERRE DECHELLE

Last edited by Argo44; 12/10/17 06:19 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for confirming the Dechelle connection, Argo. Would seem to indicate that my Mondiale is pretty clearly a post-WWII gun.

An initial round of skeet tells me that it may well be a fine choice for grouse and woodcock, but not necessarily for targets. No surprise there, given its short barrels and light weight.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Larry I sent you a private message, if you want the shells I no longer have the gun.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.