March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 81 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoof,
On stocked lands like that, do you shoot hens too? I'm wondering if there is any effort or hope of natural reproduction and if not, why not?

You have a couple good looking kids and good looking dog too. Keep at 'em.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

September 2017 Hatcher Pass Alaska

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 12/12/17 12:31 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, I would like to see these photos...I lived in Palmer for a few years. Can I help you post them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought the pheasant stamp would limit the number of other hunters I saw and result in more bird contact for me, I was wrong on both accounts. I am glad the program exists or there would be no birds to hunt in my area. I haven't seen a grouse in years.
Some areas allow the shooting of hens, and some do not. Everything that I have heard and read has suggested that stocked birds rarely reproduce in the wild. PA is starting to import wild birds from out west in some areas. There is no hunting allowed in these "pheasant recovery areas" and from what I have seen they do flushing surveys in the spring and have been seeing increasing bird numbers.

CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 12/12/17 01:00 AM.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, nice looking F. Britts and shotgun. Merkel? We don't see a lot of ptarmigan around these parts. wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
I thought the pheasant stamp would limit the number of other hunters I saw and result in more bird contact for me, I was wrong on both accounts.

You sure got that right. I hate to use this terminology, but I do seem to see less "slob hunter trash" in the fields. You know...the guys who get on a line 10 men deep and when a single bird gets up they all empty their magazine (and the bird still manages to fly off usually).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
The dogs said 'thank you' and the gun is a 1941 16 gauge Merkel.

Bryan-pics reposted with Imgur

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 12/12/17 12:35 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just added the fix Photobucket extension to my Chrome browser. Now I can view Photobucket pics just the way I always did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Originally Posted By: Hoof
I thought the pheasant stamp would limit the number of other hunters I saw and result in more bird contact for me, I was wrong on both accounts.

You sure got that right. I hate to use this terminology, but I do seem to see less "slob hunter trash" in the fields. You know...the guys who get on a line 10 men deep and when a single bird gets up they all empty their magazine (and the bird still manages to fly off usually).

While I partly agree with the need for the pheasant tag due to very low populations, I am not in full agreement with the part about the line of so-called "slob hunter trash" on a line of 10 men deep...

I believe that a couple hunters with good dogs can do a much more efficient job of cleaning out bird populations to near extinction than a line of hunters who don't shoot well ever could. I personally know guys who simply could not restrain themselves from returning to the same farms over and over, shooting every bird they could, including the hens (or breeders) until the areas were shot out. They then repeated the process on other farms, and then actually bragged about feeding freezer burned birds to the dogs because they shot more than they wished to eat. The same guys were whining about the lack of native birds, and being reduced to hunting stocked birds, on over-hunted State Game Lands just a few years later.

Recovery of pheasant populations in Pennsylvania will likely never happen until the Game Commission can admit making the mistake of allowing the harvesting of hens, and until predator populations are brought in check.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ahhh....Hatcher's Pass. One of my fav places on earth! Thanks for posting that Dennis.

Page 34 of 81 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.