March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (12boreman, craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#498744 12/21/17 08:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a 14 lb. ribeye roast (boneless) I am going to cook for our Christmas get together. Been awhile since I've done one of these, what are y'all's method as far as time and temperature? Thanks guys.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's what I do. YMMV of course.
Put roast on counter long enough to get it close to room temp
Pre-Heat oven to 500f

Oil, and liberally season roast with salt and coarse black pepper
Place in roaster fat side up
put in oven, and close the door
roast for 5 min. /lb of meat

shut off oven
do not open the door
let heat soak for 2 hrs

remove and rest 10 minutes
Center will be med-rare 130 degrees

Out there doing it best I can.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about bone-in ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to wife, chief chef and roast cooker, this is how she does her mouth watering good rib eye roast. I asked her her recipe and these are her instructions.

Prime Rib/Rib Roast
Determine what time youre serving the meal and work backwards for time.

Take roast out of packaging and place on a roasting rack in the roasting pan the night before cooking. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight, uncovered so the outside of the roast dries
Bring roast to room temperature, which will take about 5-6 hours for a boneless 14 lb roast.

Preheat oven to 500F.

Combine approximately 5 sticks of room temperature butter with - 1 cup chopped fresh rosemary and two whole finely minced garlic bulbs (not just cloves). Cover the entire roast with the butter mixture, including the ends. Place roast back on the rack in the pan and cover with about 2 cups of kosher salt.

Put in 500F oven in UNCOVERED roasting pan for 5 minutes per pound. Your 14 pound roast will take 70 minutes at 500F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR WHILE COOKING, OR FOR TWO HOURS AFTER COOKING IS FINISHED!!!

Turn oven off and leave in the oven for 2 hours. This is critical: Do NOT open oven door until its time to take out. After two hours, take roast out, lightly tent with foil for about 45 minutes (its still cooking). Remove roast and make au jus with the pan drippings.

This provides a roast where the middle is medium rare and the ends are medium.

If you'd like her au jus recipe, just ask.

This makes a delicious, wonderful roast.

Good luck.

Last edited by 992B; 12/21/17 09:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have an oven with infrared, try low and slow. Let roast come to near room temp, then put small slices in surface of roast and stuff garlic cloves and rosemary into the slits. Season surface lightly with salt, no pepper yet because pepper will burn. Preheat oven to 250F, put roast in and let if go for a long time, probably five hours for a 14 pounder. For the last 20 minutes or so, turn on the infrared to put a nice crust on the roast. Check internal temp with a meat thermometer to be sure it's where you want it, remembering that there will be some carry over cooking, pull it out and cover for at least 20-30 minutes, then slice and serve. The infrared finish is pretty hard to beat, and the low/slow routine keeps it juicy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an ancient Farberware countertop rotiserie electric grill that does a fabulous job on prime rib, and capons, but, have never done a rib eye on it.
Can't imagine it would do a less than stellar job, however.
I prefer roasts on the Weber Performa rotiserie over charcoal, but, the daytime high temp on Christmas Eve is supposed to be about -5 degrees.

I won't be grilling anything that day.
Good Luck.

Merry Christmas.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Season and cook for 6 hours at 250. Have it on some sort of grate over a pan with an inch or two of water in it. It will get even more tender if you shut it off afterwards and let it rest and break down some more for another hour

Sidelock
Sidelock

Part of the cooking is what you buy at the store. For years the steaks I cooked and also "prime rib" were forgettable. Hardly worth the effort. I probably bought most of the meat on sale. My wife brought home a "prime graded" filet, and I became a great steak cook. I had probably been buying choice or good cuts. Now, when we have beef, which is not often, we get "prime" graded meat. The same with a "prime rib" . Get a prime grade and you won't regret the expense. Most restaurants have prime rib on their menus , but I doubt most actually serve a "prime graded" piece of meat. I find restaurant prime rib often disappointing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1.25 lbs of butter at 500˚? Get much smoke?

Originally Posted By: 992B
According to wife, chief chef and roast cooker, this is how she does her mouth watering good rib eye roast. I asked her her recipe and these are her instructions.

Prime Rib/Rib Roast
Determine what time youre serving the meal and work backwards for time.

Take roast out of packaging and place on a roasting rack in the roasting pan the night before cooking. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight, uncovered so the outside of the roast dries
Bring roast to room temperature, which will take about 5-6 hours for a boneless 14 lb roast.

Preheat oven to 500F.

Combine approximately 5 sticks of room temperature butter with - 1 cup chopped fresh rosemary and two whole finely minced garlic bulbs (not just cloves). Cover the entire roast with the butter mixture, including the ends. Place roast back on the rack in the pan and cover with about 2 cups of kosher salt.

Put in 500F oven in UNCOVERED roasting pan for 5 minutes per pound. Your 14 pound roast will take 70 minutes at 500F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR WHILE COOKING, OR FOR TWO HOURS AFTER COOKING IS FINISHED!!!

Turn oven off and leave in the oven for 2 hours. This is critical: Do NOT open oven door until its time to take out. After two hours, take roast out, lightly tent with foil for about 45 minutes (its still cooking). Remove roast and make au jus with the pan drippings.

This provides a roast where the middle is medium rare and the ends are medium.

If you'd like her au jus recipe, just ask.

This makes a delicious, wonderful roast.

Good luck.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neighbor was talking about how he cooks a prime rib. He makes a paste with kosher salt and other seasonings which is then caked on the roast. The salt crust is broken off prior to serving. Says it's the best he's ever had and surprisingly isn't overly salty.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.