March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, MattH, Mills, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 836 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks gentlemen for all the recommendation. Do you think cooking on the convection setting will significantly impact cooking time? Most everyone in our family will prefer a roast @ medium rather than medium rare.

Merry Christmas to all here. I love you all and value your friendship greatly.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirk, the salt crust is super.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We used to make our salt crust in a heavy paste with dijon mustard. I'm not sure what that did, but it didn't taste of mustard or overly salty. Haven't made one for quite a while, but it sure seems tempting again. I'm not a big fan of restaurant steaks either, way many more so so dinners than treats, because it's so easy to grill a decent steak if one gets a little heat going and doesn't poke at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Many thanks gentlemen for all the recommendation. Do you think cooking on the convection setting will significantly impact cooking time? Most everyone in our family will prefer a roast @ medium rather than medium rare.

Merry Christmas to all here. I love you all and value your friendship greatly.
JR

JR,

I asked my wife about three things, to use convection, to slow cook, and how to get medium instead of medium rare in the middle.

She said that the convection setting should not be used at 500F because it's already hot as blazes. Use conventional.

She has tried slow cooking, and five minutes per pound at five hundred degrees. She slow cooks cheap pieces of meat, every time, to break down the fibers of the meat and make it tender. But with a boneless rib eye prime rib, you're dealing with a chunk of meat that's the very best of the cow, that costs over two hundred dollars unless it's on sale. For the best, you sear the outside by quick cooking, to seal up the juices.

As to getting more medium cooked meat, she says about half the roast will be medium, but to get that, the middle must be medium rare. The ends are delicious at medium, but would NOT be if they were well done.

And the one and only meat I love medium rare, is the middle of a sizzling hot prime rib roast, with au jus sauce poured over it.

It's your roast, but the wife says follow her directions exactly or use the slow cook method like you would for a cheaper piece of meat.

Hope this helps, and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by 992B; 12/22/17 01:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig and Kirk , we used to make our salt crusts out of rock salt with liberal pepper rubbed on before making the crust. When the salt was applied , a spray bottle of water helped the salt crust set up. Yes, no overly salty taste when done. It was super to use a bone in “prime” rib. A bit later the bones could be used for bbq ribs. Oh, so good. This was all a slow cook procedure at under 300 degrees for hours. All worth the wait. Now, with no kids around, a big prime rib is too much, but I sure do enjoy thinking of it.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the traditional "sides" mom would make with the standing rib roast was Yorkshire pudding and gravy from the juices (grease) of the roast. It was to die for and probably would help in the killing. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used ClapZap's way for several bits of meat.

I found it in a Robert Carrier book...he called it No Roast Roast Beef. google it
But you have to do it correctly, mins x lbs
The end result is the most (& moist) perfect pink beef ever,
there is no well done ring & no rare middle ,,,its all the same colour wich is up to the cook

Merry Christmas to you all
xxx
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I worked at a Victoria Station Restaurant 1979-81, they were a national chain whose specialty was prime rib, I ate more rib than I care to remember.

Depending on the night they would roast 4-12 20 pound bone in ribs/day in a convection oven. They left the fat cap on, put them bones down on in pan, some water in the bottom, and then put about a full pound of kosher salt on top of the fat cap.

They would just cut the fat cap and salt off when it came time to carve, really was quite delicious.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over-season to taste.
Remember only the outside of a very thick piece of meat will be seasoned.
Separate bones for ease of serving and tie back on for the ride.
Place on center rack of BBQ and light only one of the side burners.
Kettle temperature may reach 300 degrees or so.

Cook to an internal temp of about 122 degrees.
Foil wrap and let rest on counter for about 20 minutes.
Internal temp will continue to rise to maybe 124-126.
Perfect medium rare.

I made this tester last week in preparation for Christmas eve.
I hate Prime Rib and decided to go with smoked Pork Tenderloin roast instead.

Mo bettah'
10 spice dry rub, brown sugar and hickory.
Please note the smoke ring!

Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.