March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Over-season to taste.
Remember only the outside of a very thick piece of meat will be seasoned.
Separate bones for ease of serving and tie back on for the ride.
Place on center rack of BBQ and light only one of the side burners.
Kettle temperature may reach 300 degrees or so.

Cook to an internal temp of about 122 degrees.
Foil wrap and let rest on counter for about 20 minutes.
Internal temp will continue to rise to maybe 124-126.
Perfect medium rare.

I made this tester last week in preparation for Christmas eve.
I hate Prime Rib and decided to go with smoked Pork Tenderloin roast instead.

Mo bettah'
10 spice dry rub, brown sugar and hickory.
Please note the smoke ring!

That tenderloin looks simply fantastic.
Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

When cooking a rib roast the goal is to have nice juicy roast that has a nice brown crust and no over cooked gray areas. You want it to be a nice even rare to medium rare from edge to edge with that crispy flavorful crust.

Two temperatures are important: 125 degrees which is medium rare and 310 degrees which is the temperature at which the Maillard reaction occurs. That is the process by which amino acids and reducing sugars recombine to form that crust and fantastic roasty aromas. Above 310 degrees, meat will quickly brown and crisp once the moisture in the meat is driven off.

Here is the secret to achieving that.

First buy a good and accurate meat thermometer. We want an center temperature of about 120-125 degrees when done for rare to medium rare.

Salt is your friend for that crust. I like to salt my rib roast an hour or two before putting it in the oven. I oil the roast with butter or olive oil and the sprinkle it heavily with a nice kosher salt along with course ground pepper, garlic powder and rosemary.

Put your roast on a rack in a pan. Insert the oven safe thermometer. Cook your roast until the thermometer hits 120 degrees. Pull the roast out of the oven and tent it with foil. Don't wrap it tight we don't want to steam the outside of the roast.We want to let it rest at least 20 to 30 minutes.

Now we have a roast that will be evenly cooked rare to medium rare. The surface of the roast will have desiccated (dried enough) which will allow it to quickly develop a nice seared crust.

Crank the oven to 500 degrees. We want to sear the outside of the roast for that perfect brown crust. Put the roast in the oven 7 or 8 minutes. We want to sear the outside, not cook the roast more.

This will give you a restaurant quality cooked rib roast. Perfectly even pink and tender roast with a wonderful crust. Cooked by this method you will not over cook the cap muscle on the rib roast. That cap or deckle steak is the best piece of meat on the beef. Don't turn it gray, ruin it, by over cooking in a high temperature to start oven.

Last edited by Slowpokebill; 12/22/17 10:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an article in the food section of the local newspaper on Wednesday, where the author talked about having cooked prime rib various ways over the years, most of which have been mentioned in this thread, and he's now settled on the method that Slowpokebill describes.

I figured I'd test that method myself on Christmas day!

Blessed Christmas all!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I learned that method from my late brother. He had a degree in culinary arts and worked at a few of Utah's high end restaurants. It is how he learned to cook prime rib.

It is super easy and it comes out perfect every time. The most critical thing is a good meat thermometer. I have a digital one that is spot on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't use a powdered Yorkshire pud' when its so simple from scratch...Dear old Mum would never forgive me.
I use my mums recipe, but its exactly the same as the one in an old Betty Crocker book I have...cup all purp' flour ,cup o milk, 2 eggs pinch salt & mix to batter...my mum used to do a big shallow pan,I prefer individual big muffin pan with 1/4"
smoking dripping or oil..abot 30 mins at 400 till golden brown.
I put them in while Im finishing the roast spuds n parsnips...man Im getting hungry
Anyone out there a fan of Colmans english mustard??
merries to all
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas I cook prime rib, not turkey, for my son and I as well as some portion of our extended family, usually my sister and her kids and anyone else on the eastern side of the country.

I use the 500 degree high heat for 4.5 to 5 min per pound depending on how done I want it and I have never had better results. I dry and salt the exterior, as has been mentioned. I make sure it's at room temp. I make sure no one goes near the oven to ensure the door doesn't get opened. The roast I get is very nicely seared on the outside with a perfectly even medium rare finish all the way across the inside. Zero grey meat near the crust.

The one thing I would say about this method is it's best for prime ribs that are in the 4 to 9 pound range. If they are bigger, the timing is a bit off and I haven't worked out the adjustment.

And when the roast comes out, in goes the Yorkshire pudding. I'm the opposite of Franc. My mom used to do them in muffin tins, but after going to an English style boarding school (my headmaster was the Marquis of Ely and would sit in the House of Lords when in England) where the Yorkshire was done in a pan, I switched my allegiance and have never looked back.

I typically do two pans of Yorkshire.....one to serve my family and one that I fight over with one of my nephews after dinner. Best dessert ever!

Last edited by canvasback; 12/23/17 01:38 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those using the 5 minute and 2 hours in the off oven. Be careful with newer ovens, some have fans that cool them down when the oven is turned off. We have one that does. Should be no problem but you will need to kill the breaker to the oven to stop the fan. My son used our oven Friday for prime rib, never had a problem in his but had lots to do so used ours. We discovered the issue half hour into the 2 hours. Then had to deal with it and it did not turn out well for the roast! There are comments on the internet about this issue. If you let the roast go through the 2 hours in an oven like ours it will be rare from what I understand. We will be doing a 10 pound prime rib tomorrow in our oven so will see how it goes killing the breaker. Merry Christmas, Bob Warren

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, that's a great head's up. Thank you. I have an older oven so it's not an issue but I'm glad to know about the potential problem.

Merry Christmas!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just put mine on the pellet grill!

Did it last year and it immediately became a yearly tradition!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, I have a pellet grill and thought about using it for prime rib at some point. How are you cooking yours?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.