April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 391 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My latest V. Bernadelli S. Uberto I imported by Charles Daly has only whetted my appetite for a true "best gun". But yesterday, shooting with Bladeswitcher, I became envious of his Webley and Scott boxlock English gun, which is a very nice gun, but even his Webley is not a "best gun".

What I want, is a sound, attractive, used "best gun" , that is:

1. A sidelock

2. Made to very high, hand made standards

3. Is a light game gun of approximately six and a half pounds, or slightly more.

4. Made in the pattern of the best English sidelock "best guns" from Purdey, Holland and Holland, or Boss.

5. Cosmetic flaws are acceptable, so long as they don't detract from the overall experience of owning a true "best gun".

What's the lowest price of entry into the realm of a true "best gun"?

To further the discussion, what are the price and quality differences of examples of a good, sound, used sidelock "best gun" from the U.K., Spain, and Italy, or anyplace else in the world a true "best gun" would come from?

Any opinions of what I should look for, would be much appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, (Merry Christmas by the way, I'm up letting dogs out)
I'd say, NEW they start around 45,000lbs,for a non big three, London made, best, shotgun.
USED,(and Don Amos has followed this very precisely), a Big Three, sidelock,Best quality, used, not abused, starts at around 20K.

You could look at any of the English auction houses and get a quick handle on current auction results.

Many makers have shotguns somewhat started available to be finished to your specifications. It cuts down some of the lead time.

Based on world wide economic growth right now, they should all be doing good, and prices will reflect that, as well as lead times.

But for me, at less than 20, you would have to be looking very closely at all kinds of minutiae to keep from buying someone else's discard, and would be "settling" in some regards.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the critical thing here is the OP's point #4...."Made in the pattern"

I wouldn't argue with CZ's assessment (or Rocketman's) of the cost to enter the London Best club. But don't forget, Rocketman's charts indicate as well the cost you pay to have a certain "brand name" on your gun.

Forgo the brand name and look for "best gun quality" and the price plummets. Buy a lesser known Continental "best" gun and pay a 1/4 of the cost of the equivalent London Best made by one of The Big 4, Purdey, Boss, H&H or Woodward.

Last edited by canvasback; 12/25/17 08:41 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

Forgo the brand name and look for "best gun quality" and the price plummets. Buy a lesser known Continental "best" gun and pay a 1/4 of the cost of the equivalent London Best made by one of The Big 4, Purdey, Boss, H&H or Woodward.

I'll throw this out there. Arrizabalaga provided guns to J.Roberts in London. Some of those guns were finished and assembled in London by London craftsmen. Regardless of where they were finished they are high quality guns.

I got to handle a J.Roberts/Arriz gun that was a copy of a Churchill Premiere, had 'J.Roberts, London' on the top rib and the Arrizabalaga name on the locks. That was a very fine gun and I regret to this day not buying it.

Here's link to an old webpage with the models and prices from the past.

J.Roberts Arrizabalaga

Last edited by steve f; 12/25/17 10:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come out to Phoenix during Paradise Season
Stay at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Visit William Larkin Moore and check out the Armas Garbi
http://williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory
Arrizabalaga
http://williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory/itemid/6522
Piotti
http://williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory/itemid/6525
Purdey
http://williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory/itemid/6256

There might even be snow on Four Peaks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you interested in a hammer sidelock? I've seen Purdey hammer guns in the 8-10k range, and other Best grade guns for less, such as H. Holland (H&H before the nephew joined)

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year I was shopping around a 1894 Purdey that belonged to a friend. A hammerless, 12 bore best gun, from 1894. It was tired, in need of a barrel blue, stock freshening (checkering recut, new pad)etc.

I brought it to the Vintagers and first saw Steve Murray from Purdeys who was visiting from London. He looked it over, pronounced it "still as tight as the day it was made" but proceeded to tell me it would not bring much more than $6K, there were too many similar guns out there.

I brought it to 3 dealers at the show, two told me they had no interest as they both had similar guns in their inventory, the last offered $5K, citing the work needed to put it right and the declining market.

I was quoted about $3K from a reputable smith to put it right. A best gun for under $10K. You might be able to do the same with some luck and time searching.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

You should have offered it here, I'd have taken 5.
Used car dealers aren't limited to used cars.

Just look on line at closed auctions.
No body is selling a Purdey Hammerless to anybody for 5k since Roy Roger's clapped out funeral model got snatched up.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe he did offer it here. Or at least talked about it.

It seems to me when you are pursuing a best gun, the place to start might not be the cheapest one. Or, a project. I know a lot of us have made that mistake, myself included.
I've come to regard best guns in the same light that I regard a Rolls Royce. Why, yes, it is a fine piece of automotive engineering and execution, however, nothing in the crafting or design will help me if I get it stuck along an ice road on lake Mille Lacs on the way out to an ice shack to fish at night in January.
I need a lesser implement to do that task. It is much the same with the hunting/shooting I do, which, is not in the UK, but, here.

Good luck in your quest.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the first mention in years of the Roy Rogers funeral model. That is one great gun. I would like to see it today. I haven't seen the underpriced Purdey hammer guns, at least not any in high condition. My bar in iron Whitworth barrel pigeon gun may have been a bargain at one time but never again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.