May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tim Carney, CJF, R Reynolds, Ted Schefelbein, Licensed to kill), 186 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,534
Posts545,978
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This has helped, and hurt, at the same time.

I looked at the William Larkin Moore inventory.

The Garbi is a very nice best gun, for $7,000.

The Arrizabalaga is an even nicer best gun, for $22,000, at just over three times the cost of a Garbi.

Then the Piotti is a cut above the other two, for $30,000, but it's over four times the cost of the Garbi.

And finally, there's a geniune Purdey London best gun, which is the nicest of the four, and it costs $43,500, which is just over six times the cost of the Garbi.

Dagnabbit, best guns are like all other things in this sin cussed world of woe, the better a best gun is, the more it costs!

For now, it makes me love my nice, lightweight, tired looking $600 V. Bernardelli, which looks better each night, as I rub it with a wool sock, then it takes another application of boiled linseed oil.

But the thought of a shootable five thousand dollar Purdey is truly an inspiration.

The quest begins, for a bargain best gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 992B
My latest V. Bernadelli S. Uberto I imported by Charles Daly has only whetted my appetite for a true "best gun". But yesterday, shooting with Bladeswitcher, I became envious of his Webley and Scott boxlock English gun, which is a very nice gun, but even his Webley is not a "best gun" . . .

It's also not a Webley. It's a surprisingly high-end BSA. Typically, BSA made working man's guns but this one got a bit of extra attention. Not bad for $500 . . . (Despite the fact that the gun and I were not getting along yesterday.)

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 12/25/17 12:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
This is the first mention in years of the Roy Rogers funeral model. That is one great gun. I would like to see it today. I haven't seen the underpriced Purdey hammer guns, at least not any in high condition. My bar in iron Whitworth barrel pigeon gun may have been a bargain at one time but never again.

I have a unique memory, Bill.
I was going to buy it, and got distracted. My understanding was it went immediately out for complete renewal, and is in "as new" condition today.

People overlook that a "best gun" requires "best repair" after purchase.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or you could be in my shoes, looking for a Prussian Daly diamond quality gun. You get the world's finest pre-war quality and best Damascus for 5-10k. They will stack up against ANYTHING.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to get as close to best and spend the least you may want to look at one of the little know or no name Belgian sidelocks. The quality of some of these guns is excellent and they are undervalued. Buy the gun and not the name!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I mean this in the truest of all sincerity.

Why do you want one?

If it is for psychic income, I can say the effect is fleeting.

You can enjoy the gunmaker's art, and the admiration of friends and acquaintances, without purchasing a London Best.

992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
Originally Posted By: 992B
My latest V. Bernadelli S. Uberto I imported by Charles Daly has only whetted my appetite for a true "best gun". But yesterday, shooting with Bladeswitcher, I became envious of his Webley and Scott boxlock English gun, which is a very nice gun, but even his Webley is not a "best gun" . . .

It's also not a Webley. It's a surprisingly high-end BSA. Typically, BSA made working man's guns but this one got a bit of extra attention. Not bad for $500 . . . (Despite the fact that the gun and I were not getting along yesterday.)

I stand corrected. It's a BSA, not a Webley.

And looking at it close, my V. Bernardelli does have side clips, and a Greener cross bolt, and there's an extension through the bottom of it's sculpted frame to further lock it up.

But alas, my gun has no ejectors, no sculpted fences, and no checkered butt, and the case colors have all but faded away. The wood is also much nicer, on the BSA.

A best gun would beat them both, put together, wouldn't it?

At least it's pretty to think it would.

992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I mean this in the truest of all sincerity.

Why do you want one?

If it is for psychic income, I can say the effect is fleeting.

You can enjoy the gunmaker's art, and the admiration of friends and acquaintances, without purchasing a London Best.

Blame Michael McIntosh.

He wrote about those dad blasted "best guns" until it flung a craving on me.

Besides, I'd get to take it all apart with my "turnscrews" and admire the innards, and think about how it was supposed to take a thousand man hours of labor to make it.

It doesn't have to be a London best.

A Birmingham gun, might scratch the itch, or a best gun from some other place.

I own a pair of J.C. Higgins Model 100 AyA guns, and a nice BSS, which has successfully warded off coveting a Model 21 Winchester.

But the V. Bernardelli Bladeswitcher sold me, just inflamed my desire for a sidelock best gun.

Last edited by 992B; 12/25/17 01:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Across the board English guns are extremely high quality even when an obscure hardware store merchant's name is stamped into the top rib.

Look at Bladeswitchers BSA, does that look like a hardware store gun to you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are guns for looking at, and there are guns for shooting.
Seldom are they the same, and when they are, well, they are expensive.

That's just how it works.
This one is a second tier gun.
Well used, not abused.
And not mine.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.