April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, oskar, KDGJ, Jtplumb, battle, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just treated myself to a Beretta S3EELL---it's an early 60's model. I'm amazed at the quality of engraving and workmanship that went into this sidelock over under. I never had the opportunity to inspect one closely. Shooting my little baby must wait for warmer weather.
I did some internet searching to see other similar guns and compare them. I see that SO series probably started in the 70's and both the S series and SO series may have been built in parallel for a while. I think the SO series has a modified lock design but overall they are very similar in appearance.
Can anyone share their experience and comments about these fine guns?
Bill

Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

Well done Calgary Bill,
I am rather particular with using the term 'Best Gun', but you have one there in your S3 EELL. From an outsider living in Australia, it seems to me that early Beretta sidelocks and to a lesser extent modern high grade Berettas are somewhat under-rated in the US.
I have an S2 made in 1967 and have read lots of information on the 'S' series Berettas. The S series sidelocks came before the SO's and the lock design was changed during the S series.
I found the following on another website and saved it as a screenshot, but I'll type it below for you...

"The S1 became the SO4 and then the SO5.
The S2 became the SO2 and then the SO6.
The S3 became the SO3 and then the SO9.
The S1 was unadorned and the SO4 and SO5 have minimal engraving. The S3 and SO3 had more elaborate engraving. In addition the final series was more highly graded again, using the letters EL, EEL and EELL. Hence, the second grade S3 would be the S3EL and the top grade S3 would be the S3EELL.
Advantages of S/SO's are: very shallow (58mm) frame; excellent steel; excellent balance and handling, depending on the specimen; comparative cheapness; lower grades as well finished mechanically as the expensive ones; view over the wide fences is as close to a side by side as is possible to find in an u/o.
The trick to buying them is the barrel weight. The weight is usually stamped on the barrels and I've found the good handling in 12 gauge cuts out above 1.4kg. Around 1.34 - 1.36kg is better. The S2 and SO2 game guns, with 28" barrels, around 6lb 4oz, handle like a dream. Midweight (7lb) ones are also very desirable.
I think they are rather underrated, and not just for appearance."

Oh, I'd love to see a photo of your new S3 Bill.

Last edited by Aussie; 12/28/17 02:04 AM.
Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

You'll probably also find this article interesting...

https://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Shotguns/the-beretta-so.html

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the info Aussie.
Agreed that the S/SO series are under rated in North America. My S3EELL has incredible workmanship.
My gun has two sets of barrels---the 28" bbls weigh 1.49 kg and the 30" bbls are 1.475---the weight of the gun is within an ounce with either set of barrels. The gun weighs 8 lbs and I suspect it was intended as a trap gun but it has seen little use in its 50+ year life.
Each set of barrels have Briley choke tubes which suits me fine.
Engraving is by S Tononcelli and is of the floral scroll type.
In due course I'll have my smith take the locks off and see what beholds inside.
I normally take my pics outside in the shade but today it is -30 which precludes that idea. I'll try some indoor lighting and see what happens.
I've looked at about half a dozen S3EELL on the net and the engraving patterns are similar but not identical. It seems each engraver was allowed some freedom to express his skills. In contrast, Browning Midas grade engraving is remarkably similar from gun to gun.
I found one EELL that was case coloured but the others are not case coloured---not sure what finish Beretta use but it certainly enhances the engraving and doesn't fade with time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They represent one of the MOST durable sidelock designs ever produced.....I know of individual pieces still in use in Europe with 100,000 plus Heavy pigeon loads thru them that have scarcely ever had a screw turned on them except routine maintenance.....They are,by design, very "renewable" engineered with the idea of being easily tightened or brought back to factory specs , but only after LOTS of shots....

Among the most reliable of all single trigger designs (particularly the non selective type) ever put into wide spread use...

Enjoy it, you have acquired a truly FINE gun....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mel5141
They represent one of the MOST durable sidelock designs ever produced.....I know of individual pieces still in use in Europe with 100,000 plus Heavy pigeon loads thru them that have scarcely ever had a screw turned on them except routine maintenance.....They are,by design, very "renewable" engineered with the idea of being easily tightened or brought back to factory specs , but only after LOTS of shots....

Among the most reliable of all single trigger designs (particularly the non selective type) ever put into wide spread use...

Enjoy it, you have acquired a truly FINE gun....

I would agree on all points. There IS a slight weakness though (or at least a perceived weakness) in that the stocks are a bit weak in the wrist area. I have an S06 30" 12 bore 'field' model - and have owned it from new (20+ years) and it has had a lot of use - and walked many miles in Scottish weather. It has stood up well, though the woodwork has a few signs of use. It is largely 'retired' now as I find as I age I prefer a lighter gun (it is heavy). A number of people have advised me to be gentle closing it as stock breakage with rough handling seems to be the one weak area. If I had my time again I would buy another, but 28" with straight hand stock and double triggers. When I bought mine, that would have been special order, whereas I could have a 'stock' gun at a generous discount, but little discount on a special order.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 12/28/17 01:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd wager all the responses here are by people trying to increase demand for these absolute turds of a sidelock o/u. Everyone needs to send me their SO guns, I'll offer a handsome sum of $1000 a piece for ridding the streets of such filth.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have broken one leaf spring after minimal use of my SO2, made around 1984. Otherwise, it is a wonderful gun. I did not approach any of the normal Beretta gurus, but I will if I have further problems.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Beretta modified the S/SO series guns over time. They started out with an 7'pin lock to include a cocking indicator. Around 1958 they used a 5/4 pin design. In the mid-80s they went to a 4/3 pin design. Some of the S3s in this time period actually have the SO6 lock.

Be careful on simplifying the S1 becoming an SO4, etc. Beretta was making S1s into the 70s (at least). The SO4s were also produced at this same time. SO4s and SO5s were produced at the same time. There is also confusion caused by Garcia naming the S3EL an SO4 and the S3EELL an SO5 when they were importing the S guns into the US.

I haven't seen a gun marked SO on the lock frame. I'm not sure if/when Beretta marked a gun as an SO. Does anyone have a picture of an S series gun marked SO?

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 12/28/17 10:53 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Often the SO designation is engraved on the trigger guard.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.