March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marc Ret, Tim in PA, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 785 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 81 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Shot a sunflower field yesterday afternoon near my home. Six of us shooting 24 acres, so we didn't exactly "hem them up". Very sporty shooting, with many of the droves having upwards of 20-30 birds, and flying very fast in the stiff breeze. Late season doves are just a joy to shoot, and will humble the most seasoned veteran at times. I shot 50% on them. Many of my misses being a second miss after the first. Man, it's hard to resist that.

100 yr. old (restocked) BE Fox with 32" barrels, with W. B. Hart, 1919 crudely engraved on the trigger guard bow. I wish Mr. Hart could have been there with us to see his gun in action. Maybe he was smiling down at us. I was sure smilin'.

SRH

Wow great job, beautiful gun, love the wood on it!!

TM

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is "top notch" Winter Dove shooting Stan..... both the experience and the Fine shooting.....
I know of your attraction to Small bore dove shooting and understand it as well.....But you had the right tool for the job at hand in my opinion.....If birds are a " bit on the edge" (as they are so often this time of year) it is a great feeling to have a gun on your lap that lets you take any reasonable chance....

A 50 yard gun gives you a lot more room to participate than a 30 yard piece does.... Hope the New year brings you more opportunities....

Best,
PM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, what loads do you shoot through that Fox?

Mike Proctor
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pop and Sadie. Or is it Sadie and Pop? The nose knows.

You couldnt ask for a better premonition of things to come this morning. Just before turning off the pavement on to the property, we saw a woodcock standing on the fog line, head bobbing back and forth. Little did we know he was the early warning system. We only found one bird, but lots of splash. This cold weather has them on the run. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Stan, what loads do you shoot through that Fox?

Normally, 1 oz. loads at about 1150. I bought three flats of B & P Comp Ones, hoping to be able to use them. Tried them in this gun but they misfire regularly in it, and in my BSS, for that matter. The rims on these shells aren't nearly as thick as most all other shells I've measured. I'll find something I've got that will shoot them, hopefully.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/01/18 06:58 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mel5141
That is "top notch" Winter Dove shooting Stan..... both the experience and the Fine shooting.....
I know of your attraction to Small bore dove shooting and understand it as well.....But you had the right tool for the job at hand in my opinion.....If birds are a " bit on the edge" (as they are so often this time of year) it is a great feeling to have a gun on your lap that lets you take any reasonable chance....

A 50 yard gun gives you a lot more room to participate than a 30 yard piece does.... Hope the New year brings you more opportunities....

Best,
PM

There were numerous times during the afternoon that I knew I needed the tight barrel to kill the bird. I'd just go to the rear trigger and knew if I missed I wouldn't shoot the other barrel. I absolutely love two differently choked barrels for doves.

SRH

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the sunny south: I had another work "snow" day so what's a fella to do? I met up with Stan for an afternoon woods walk under conditions that gave me concern about finding birds. I had to four wheel it through the snow from my house to the main highway to the hunt site. Fortunately the snow we experienced near the coast was worse than where we hunted, but it was still unusual. Surprisingly we found 6 birds; unsurprisingly they were in tough spots to shoot, but Abby and Willa found them. It was sporty shooting. 20 ga. Darne R-10. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Waited until the last cold night, in this string of cold days and nights, to drift the creek in the "duck kayak". Timing is everything, with all the beaver ponds frozen over, and the woodies were on the creek by the hundreds. No problem picking my shots to take a limit of drakes. Beautiful day to enjoy the solitude. BSS w/ 30" tubes, RIO Blue Steel no. 4s.

SRH

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, nothing succeeds like success when a plan comes together. Fine eating there.
Finding birds in new areas. Four birds found today by Pop and Sadie; shots fired at 3 and one bagged. Floyd's Woodcock Wand of Woe, 20 ga. Ithaca SKB, 25" barrels, IC/M. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's encouraging, Gil. Glad to know somebody can hit those things.

On another front, wonder what's happened to Greg? He hasn't posted here since Dec. 17th. I sure hope he's alright.

SRH

Page 43 of 81 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.