March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 857 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 48 of 81 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

She is a machine!

Sidelock
Sidelock

And title it "dedicated dog"! Great picture, certainly one to be displayed in the gun room.
Karl

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunted private property today with worn-out dogs. First hour and half unproductive, then went to another tract. The land bordered a swamp and the birds were on the hill adjacent to the swamp’s edge “nooning” in straight as an arrow sweet gum saplings of about an inch and a half diameter. I tried taking a photo, but it must not have happened. We found at least a dozen birds in about an hour’s time, but of note, four got up from one spot and three from another. We often have pairs get up but never more than that previously. We ended up with 5 but gave the landowner one before we finished.

Abby, Sadie and Pop—all three in need of a rest after Pop and Sadie hunted three days in a row and Abby only two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That sounds like a great hunt to me, Gil. I would be delighted with 5.

Sidelock
Sidelock

67 galaxie and I enjoyed a good wood duck hunt this morning. A few more of the pics Keith snapped:

Keith and I:

The guns are my Feg with the strap, a B grade Fox of Murray's and a sterlingworth pin gun of Keith's:

That's keith's dog Si on the left and Stella again swimming under the log with another woodie:

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 01/15/18 09:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great day, Geo! Please tell us more about your FEG sometime. I've always wondered about them...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I closed the dove season out this afternoon with an invitation to a shoot on a corn field that Hurricane Irma had devastated before they got it harvested. The wild hogs and deer have worked the field over for the last three months, scattering kernels of corn all over it and creating a winter wonderland for the doves. We had non-stop shooting all afternoon. No problem getting the limit, but dropped down to 48% on my shooting. It was a very productive late season this year, with four limits in the last 16 days.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too closed my bird shooting season this weekend. This was Nebraska and I was using borrowed dogs. No picts I'm afraid. But we got a couple roosters and a single quail. Birds were far apart so it was tough sledding. Now we have 9 months or so to get in shape for next season.

Good luck to all of you and thanks for the pictures and stories. I learned a little - like I never realized there were that many woodcock on the entire planet, much less that 5 of them could be brought to bag on a single day. Who'd a guessed? smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Great day, Geo! Please tell us more about your FEG sometime. I've always wondered about them...

jaeger, its a Hungarian gun with the unpronounceable name of Fegyvergyer. A utility European type gun. Reminds me of a BRNO ZP. Mine's a 12ga 2 3/4" chamber, carries well and seems completely reliable. Choked m/f I shot bismuth 5's this morning...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No photos. Use your imagination. Picture Curly, Larry and Moe. Moe stayed in the truck with Murphy.
We had great expectations today having left a pile of birds (woodcock) behind the last time we went to this spot. Expectations developed into a real cluster fest. It started out with a wild flush out of a thicket. We figured it would land behind the thicket and we walked around with the dogs in front of us, my Abby and Willa. While watching the dogs work, it exploded from the ground five feet from me. I got off two quick misses. We worked the back edge of the thicket and Abby went on point on another bird. I couldn’t get in fast enough and the bird got up on its own. Sayonara. Next up was a huge rivercane patch. In spots, the cane is 12-15 feet tall and as big around as a 12 gauge shell. Cane is bad enough, but it was laced with cat claw briars and stump holes that could swallow a VW. We are lucky to see the dogs 5 yards away. Dogs out in front. “I heard one get up, Floyd.” It landed five feet from us with a “thunk’. It was as if it landed on a silver platter. As quickly as it arrived, it left up and away behind a tree just and I shot the tree. Gone. The bird, not the tree. Later, my Garmin signaled Willa on point, 50 yards out. We struggled through the cane and Floyd saw her 4 yards away, locked down. Floyd got the shot, and it got away fast without a ruffled feather. Minutes later, Abby’s bell stopped. Both of us got there quickly. I could see the bird five feet from her nose. Floyd was positioned behind her perfectly as he could see it as well. I went in. The bird got up fast and just as fast dove down 25 feet away. I got off a shot just as it dove. Swing and a miss. The dogs got over in the area where we thought it landed, but it either flown farther than we thought or had run and it took off without us seeing it as we heard it twitter away. We eventually got on the far side of the monster cane patch. Abby’s bell stopped and I got a signal that she was on point, 50 yards into the cane. I got to within 15 feet from Abby and Willa charged in with me yelling “whoa, whoa!” and I then tripped and promptly face planted on the soft loam and the bird got up and away. I wasn’t too happy with Willa. According to Floyd, the worst part of it was he didn’t get to see me face plant. We should have never let Murphy in the truck.

Page 48 of 81 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.