March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#501475 01/13/18 05:59 PM
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All;
My understanding is the G grade was added to Lefever's line in 1891 with introduction of the "Two hook" mechanism while the H came along in 1898 & was built on a Large hook design.

My question is does anyone have any knowledge of either grade being built to an earlier action type than these stated, even an experimental/development gun if documentation exists.

PS;
I am postig to both this forum as well as the LACA forum. I am aware a good number monitor both, but just in case some only does one of them don't want to miss an opportunity for info. No need to reply to both.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper,

I have not PERSONALLY seen any G's which are rod cockers. Nor have I seen any 2-hook cocker H's. But if Bob Noble's recently shared theory is correct regarding Lefever serializing barrels, which were then later matched to frames...then certainly it's possible some are out there.

But from what we're thus far observed, my sense is barring out of sequence guns, G's began in the 2-hook era and H's in the single hook era.

NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Same here Miller. I have never seen nor heard of a rod cocker G or a two hook H grade Lefever. And I check as many Lefevers as I can on various websites looking for both good deals and unusual features.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is no doubt in my mind that all H grade guns are single hook guns. May not have made myself real clear here, but my question on the H is are there any Small Hook H's or are they all of the large hook variety. G 20,xxx is a two hook gun while G 28,xxx is a large hook gun (I have these). It would thus seem that "Most" small hook guns would fall between those numbers. My lowest numbered H is above 40K so not of much help.

may ot have been clear here but my question ont

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive got G listed 2 piece cockers.
Ive got H listed with small hooks.

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

A bit off topic Miller, but here's a Lefever barrel type I can't recall seeing before. I thought you might find it interesting, while bringing your question about G and H grade back to the top. This one is on a DS grade 20 gauge:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/737654212

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun should have this mark also.

Charles Clement & Neumann Freres registered the mark in 1903: two crossed hammers with the inscription "Hammered Fluid Steel" and the letters "CJCJ" in the angles of the hammers.

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bob for the confirmation of the small hook H's. I knew the time frame made this a possibility, was just not certain if any were so fitted or not.

Miller/TN

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.