March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 81 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never hunted wild chukars? Just a walk in the park if you've got a death wish. Besides what you see there is an abundance of all sorts of sticky bitey things, including rattlesnakes. This is from several years ago along the Snake River (Hells Canyon) in Idaho. In many places with one misstep a feller would have ended up as fish bait. What fun!

Two of my hunting buds can be seen in blue shirts. And folks, that picture is looking straight up and a long way! I believe Hells Canyon is the deepest canyon in the U.S.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
That looks like a tough landscape for sure. Rough on hunter and gun alike. No place for a "safe queen"!
Karl

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have to wait until I reincarnate from Old Goat to Mountain Goat before I'd consider Chukar hunting on what appears to be the face of the moon. All of us seem to have our challenging spots to hunt. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, any elevation problems with the thin air?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No problems with the altitude. So far north and the Snake empties into the Columbia, etc., so it's relatively low. Actually, the hunt was fantastic. Called a "Cast and Blast" by Mountain River Outffitters" out of Riggins, Idaho. First class operation all the way. We floated the river in inflatables each day, dressed in our hunting gear with shotguns handy. Handed spin rods we would cast to the rocky bank with plastic worms and caught an incredible number of smallmouth bass. All the time we would be watching the cliffs for birds and listening. When we spotted a covey we would beach the boat and hop out. Then the short hunt began. Frequently straight up, climbing over basalt rock, slipping on tall grass, and trying to not look down at the tumbling river far below. Invariably we only got to shoot the covey rise because when flushed they would fly over the wide river into Oregon. One bird I remember was high overhead when I dropped him over the river. I was already a couple hundred feet above the water and it fell for what seemed like a minute before splashing down. Fortunately another Zodiac was floating below and picked the unfortunate critter out of the water.

Now as I said, this was a classy operation and we had two camp tenders, a man and woman, who had a much larger Zodiac full of gear. Each morning after we'd pull off of our overnight camp spot they would load up everything and soon pass us heading downstream to set up the next evenings camp on a sandbar. When we would arrive they were waiting for us with evening cocktails, hors d'oeuves, and a roaring camp fire. We felt as though we were being treated to the best of an Afriican safari.

Hells Canyon is a spectacular place. The Snake River is huge and deep. It is remote and with very little sign of modern intrusion though there are old trails everywhere Chinese coolies made back during the gold rush period. The trip is worth every penny just to experience a wild river.

Oh, at night we would set out massive ocean rods with bells attached trying for Sturgeon. Part of a bass would be put on a huge hook and then rowed out into the middle of the river and dropped. To get the bait down through the fast water they tied on a large oldtime window weight weighing a couple pounds. Down it would go 200 or so feet to the bottom. Massive and ancient fish. When the bell on the tip of the rod would ring all hands would turn out in whatever they were sleeping in--if anything--and run to the water's edge. If a fish was on a mighty battle began. Sometimes these giants are well over ten feet in length and have different ideas than the fisherman. Catch and release only.

I have been twice and would do it again in a heartbeat, even at my 76 years!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You've got me thinking now, Joe. That sounds like a wonderful trip. How many days did you fish and hunt?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, it is a three day trip (guess it could be more if arranged). The third day is a half day float to the confluence with the Salmon. There a jet boat picks us up and a couple of wild hours later jetting upstream we were back to our vehicles. I have heard that Mountain River Outfitters is now doing more of their cast and blast trips on the Salmon, which is probably as good or better and maybe not as difficult...maybe. Google them and have a visit. Jeff, who runs it is a top notch feller. Oh, he did take along his GSP to retrieve birds in places no one could go. Best time to go is opening week. Fly into Boise, rent a car and about three hours later you're in Riggins. Incredibly fun trip. Book it and I just might join in....

I should mention that during the float we encountered very few other craft on the water and those that we did were jet boats. Usually just us and the river.

I'll try to post a couple more pictures this evening.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A "Cast and Blast" trip. What could possibly be better?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few more pictures of my Cast and Blast on the Snake River in Idaho. One word of caution, it's a tough country.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, that looks like a grand time. Gil

Page 50 of 81 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.