March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 54 of 81 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the best woodcock carving I've ever seen...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree. That's an incredibly nice woodcock carving. Sure wish I could get a bobwhite carving of the same quality!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Wood,

I expect you can. Find someone who is a bird carver and have it commissioned. I have a good friend who competes in the World bird carving competition in Maryland every year and does quite well. He pays his way there by doing commissioned birds.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hadn't seen any of these posted so thought I would provide a picture, me and my partner's limit of sage grouse for a day, JP Sauer 16 ga magic wand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of woodcock carvings,in 1989 I attended a local carving competition and was very impressed with the quality of the items displayed by one of the carvers. After a discussion with him I comissioned a carving of a Eurasian Woodcock as I had been fortunate to have taken a few on earlier forays to the U.K,mostly in North Wales.After a few months the carving below arrived. They are quite a bit larger than the North American variety which is still on my bucket list.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry,
That carving is truly amazing and beautifully done.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, look at this link:http://www.feathercarver.co.uk/
For me one of the best that I have ever seen.
Greetings from Belgium, Marc.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few more woodcock by Floyd. He's carved a half dozen or more over his career:

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
The SC woodcock season closes out tomorrow. Our season closed out today. We had waited until today as the temps were down from yesterday, but unfortunately, the cold front arrived windy which gave the dogs fits. We hunted my Abby and Willa and Floyd's Pop and Sadie. We normally don't hunt 4 dogs, but since it was the last day for us, we gave it to the dogs. I can imagine the panic of the woodcock, twittering "The Britts are coming." The wind gave the birds the advantage. We hunted private property near Floyd's which is less than 10 miles from where I live. We hunted here 15 days ago and found a dozen birds in a little over an hour. Today we found 5 birds, all wild flushes without a single point. We managed one bird. The area is threaded by a Tupelo swamp and is well known in this area as it goes on for miles across many property lines. Here's a photo of the swamp. Note the swelled butts of the tree trunks. The Tupelo "butt swell" was prized by old time Louisiana duck decoy carvers as it could be carved green without checking. It is also the wood preferred by Floyd for carving his bird carvings. He prefers to let it dry before carving. He harvests the wood from this swamp. Not only is Tupelo a preferred wood for carving, the tree produces blossoms loaded with nectar which attracts honey bees. Tupelo honey is the gold standard of which all other honeys are judged. There was a reason Van Morrison's song, Tupelo Honey, contained the line "she's as sweet as Tupelo honey." The landowner's hives (called "gums" by old timers locally) are under this live oak which is a rock throw from the swamp behind the photographer. I only had one other in range opportunity besides this bird. Those who shoot the Ideal will understand the befuddled panic in attempting to take the safety off these guns on an unexpected flush. I had one such flush today. Abby had found a bird a 100 yards out. It must have flown before I could get within 50 yards of Abby judging from my Fenix 3. Assuming it was the same bird, I suspect it landed between us and I almost stepped on it. The safety flummoxed me. After decades of shooting a tang safety, the Ideal's "off safety" direction operates in the opposite direction of a top mounted safety. Below is a photo of the habitat surrounding the swamp. No rivercane, but plenty of saplings. I imagine this looks like some of the habitat in the north. Well, to book end the woodcock season, I can't think of anything more fitting than a photo of one of Floyd's woodcock carvings, carved not only from Tupelo, but as sweet looking as tupelo honey.

I cant see your pics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pics, Battle. I also missed at least one 'cock a few weeks back that should have gone in the bag except for my fumbling the Ideal's safety.

Page 54 of 81 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.