April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (grouse28, CJ Dawe, MattH), 1,211 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Howdy, I'm relatively new to doubles ( have sabatti in 9.3x74r, and 470ne ). I'm looking at a couple other guns in more common calibers, IE, 30-06 or something close. One of the guns in looking at is a Winchester grand European. How do the extractors work on these with rimless cartridges? Should I avoid this?

Ps. I've been loving my sabatti's. Can't believe I waited so long to get into doubles.

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many Winchester Grand Europeans have had serious problems with poor regulation. I would consider one only if it could be demonstrated to be reasonably well regulated.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: vangulil
Many Winchester Grand Europeans have had serious problems with poor regulation. I would consider one only if it could be demonstrated to be reasonably well regulated.

Agree with the above. Given poor regulation and the fact that most came silver brazed at the muzzle (which makes re-regulating a PITA at best), I'd wade carefully. I've heard of it being done on a few rifles, but that's a project and certainly something to be aware of. If it's proven to shoot well with a reasonable load, then this is less to worry about.

Most double rifles for rimless cartridges use a small, spring-loaded pawl (or sometimes just a rounded wire) that recesses back into the extractor housing as you push the cartridge in. If you're careful (or lucky, depending on who you talk to) it snaps back into place in the notch. In the few I've seen, it doesn't seem like the sturdiest setup.

I danced with a 375 H&H vs 9.3x74R double decision, and ended up with the 9.3 mostly because I wasn't convinced by the extractor pawl on the 375. Plenty for what I needed it to do at the time - but of course that's not what you're asking. DRs sure are fun.

There are some neat doubles out there in 303 British and 30-30. I think the key to keep in mind is the regulating load. Even though there are doubles in some more common calibers, you may not have access to loads with the right powder, pressure, and bullet. Pressure is definitely a consideration in longevity of a double, and compared to the big safari loads, the 30-06 is up there. Anyway, you may get some more input from folks with more knowledge than me in the DR-specific category of this site.

Last edited by ponderosa; 02/07/18 08:26 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, great comments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only ever owned two double rifles, both European. One was in .405 Winchester (Belgian), a rimmed cartridge, and the other in .250-3000 (German), a rimless cartridge. The .250-3000 had the spring loaded pawl. Both extracted flawlessly. While I might have concerns on a dangerous game rifle, if only because the consequences could be fatal if extraction failed, I would not be too concerned about the issue on a medium game rifle.

That being said, Chapuis offers a number of rimmed cartridges that are quiet suitable for medium game and you might look at them. SIACE also made an interesting hammer double in a number of suitable calibers and I see them listed for sale from time to time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ChristopherB,
I personally prefer a rimmed cartridge, but recognize that rimless extractors have been made for many years and are now very reliable. I agree with one of the above posts that it is one thing when you a facing an animal that is able and anxious to stomp you into a greasy spot, and quite another when you are hunting in your own backyard. Regarding "regulation", I have found that most of the problems come from improper bench procedures, and ammunition different than used to regulate the rifle( especially bullet weight). Both barrels must be fired as quickly as the sights/scope can be aligned and should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature after each pair of shots. Mounting a scope on a rifle regulated with open sights can also change bullet impact. The rifle should be held in both hands and the body should be upright so recoil will "rock you back" as if shooting "off hand".
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the continued comments ( keep them coming ). As pointed out, I have the dangerous game covered and am looking for thin skinned or less dangerous game options in a double next. I'm not real fond of exposed hammers and prefer O/U, however, sxs is not a problem. I'd be interested in hearing about the Chapuis? ( as well as more comment on the winchester grand european - anyone got one in a rimmed caliber? )

thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not double rifles but combo guns that I use a lot for coyote hunting. I've had them in 222 Rem and 223 in the past, rimless cartridges were enough of a problem that I really contemplated rechambering the 222 Rem to 222 Rem Rimmed(Bertram makes brass). The problem wasn't with the extractor but cartridges falling back into the chamber behind the extractor when removing them. I sold off those and now use a 12ga/5.6x50R and a 12ga/5.6x52R(22 Savage Highpower) everything works perfect now.

There is a bunch of good Rimmed cartridges out there that are readily available 6.5x57R, 7x57R, 8x57R and 9.3x74R and including the two small bores above it should cover most of the hunting, I see a number of double rifles in in 303 also.

I shoot Drillings in 6.5x58R, 7x57R and 9.3x72R also

Last edited by oskar; 02/08/18 12:43 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rimless extraction in double rifles has been debated ad nauseum. The "purists" who mostly reside in armchairs behind keyboards, all declare rimless extraction an abomination.

On the other hand, the Germans have a century of well-crafted double rifles with rimless extraction. They work, and work well.

For 50 years at least, the Brits have offered their best double rifles in rimless cartridges such as .375 H&H. They work, and work well. A casual look on GunBroker will reveal best quality Holland & Holland double rifles offered in that caliber.

I own quite a few double rifles. Some of them have rimless extraction. I have never had a failure.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned a Beretta stacked barrel in 30-06. I experienced no issues with ejection of spent brass and the accuracy was surprising good and well regulated.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.