March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#504779 02/12/18 01:44 PM
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

6 years ago, at the age of 64, I had a try gun fitting and 2 SXS's had their stocks adjusted accordingly.

Now, at the age of 70, I am wondering how my measurements, or fit, has changed, if any, and how it is likely to change during my 70's.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

About the same as how your suits fit. I'm 70 this year myself. My suits are staring to fit funny. I think I have a new excuse for the way I shoot...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of dynamics in play

Men as young as their mid-30s, and certainly after 50, begin to gain close to one pound per year. AND most of that weight is fat (which weighs less than muscle) from age related muscle loss; sarcopenia. WHERE we gain the weight is primarily genetically determined (yes we do turn into our fathers frown )

If the weight gain is in the face & chest (an 'apple' at high risk of Metabolic Syndrome with Type 2 DM, CAD & obstructive sleep apnea), a thicker chest increases the effective length of pull; a thicker face moves the eye upward from the comb and to the left, away from the rib (for a right handed shooter) increasing the need for 'cast off' to move the eye back in line with the rib. If we LOSE fat from the face (pretty common to lose fat under the zygomatic arch), or muscle from the chest, just the opposite.
http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-co...d-person-f0417/

The good news is that we CAN do something about weight gain (aerobic exercise) and muscle loss (resistance training ie. weight lifting). Swimming accomplishes both and maintains range-of-motion, without the joint effects of jogging
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/exercise-and-aging-can-you-walk-away-from-father-time

Bottom line: the 'perfect' dimensions won't be in a few years. Gives us a good excuse to get a new 'perfect' gun wink and SHOOT MORE! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if perfect dimensions exist except limited to a particular gun and load for a moment in time.

Regular shooting of a particular gun will likely overcome the minor changes as we age.

Clothing choices (thicknesses) can have similar effects too.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

My shooting has gotten worse every year since I was about 65, I don't know if its gun fit, muscle loss, vision loss or what, but I shoot different guns most every time I shoot.
It is probably just age, but I would like to keep going as long as possible.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I notice a decrease in my flexibility as I age. I have managed to keep or even increase my strength in most ways but can not twist or rotate as well as I could ten years ago. That does not change gun fit but does require alterations of how I shoot. Better foot work and careful gun mounting is all I have to do for now.

Unless you are having major changes in your shoulders or neck region I suspect any fit differences are minimum. If you have lost weight, a thing many wish for but can't do, fit should not change that much. You might just need to alter how you shoot slightly. Or get fit again and buy a bunch of new guns. Always a good excuse to buy a gun or custom stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun fit still seems OK @ 69.

My shooting has improved significantly after cataract surgery two years ago!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having lost 40 lbs, I am surprised to find my guns are, if anything, a bit too long now. I have been taking off the lace on pads or swapping rubber buttpads back to original buttplates where I have them, to get a better fit. I expected exactly the opposite. I am no expert on fitting a gun to myself, but that is my experience.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I notice a decrease in my flexibility as I age. I have managed to keep or even increase my strength in most ways but can not twist or rotate as well as I could ten years ago. That does not change gun fit but does require alterations of how I shoot. Better foot work and careful gun mounting is all I have to do for now.

Unless you are having major changes in your shoulders or neck region I suspect any fit differences are minimum. If you have lost weight, a thing many wish for but can't do, fit should not change that much. You might just need to alter how you shoot slightly. Or get fit again and buy a bunch of new guns. Always a good excuse to buy a gun or custom stock.

Good points, and I agree.

One additional point .......... for most, aging occurs slowly. As we gradually lose strength, flexibility, etc. we adapt, IF we shoot regularly. There may come a time when I can't shoot my big 9 lb.+ MX8 and HE Fox. But, for now, at age 66, the only difference I note is that when there is trap trouble and the birds are coming out broken, etc., I can't keep holding the P gun up ......... I have to dismount, rest a few seconds, then move ahead.

I wouldn't make big changes in gun fit until my shooting really changed for the worse. I think you'll be able to identify what that change needs to be, if you shoot enough. Likely it will just be a lighter gun.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I have aged, now 73, I find that I need a gun with more drop at comb and heel. I can only attribute this to posture, shoulders dropping. The older Fox's are now a perfect fit. Newer guns getting minimal use do to the need to correct site picture, need to see 3-4 feet of air under the bird or clay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.