April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 411 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, wild turkey does not taste like a Butterball. For years and years my wife Emily put up with my smoked wild turkey for every feasting type occasion. Then there was an uprising among the families!

My boys and I argued in vain; the womenfolk prevailed and the Butterballs now rule the roost. My filleted turkey breasts get fixed other ways and for other occasions...Geo

I miss seeing my carefully plucked gobblers hanging in the smoker racks at the barbecue place with all the cute little butterballs. The barbecue guy once told me my wild turkey looked like a pond scoggin in there with the butterballs.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A pound of lead shot and a pound of TSS, both size 9. Which looks "heavier" ("denser" more accurately)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not a fan of wild turkey “whole” or like a butterball. My wife would be a vegetarian if it weren’t for the fact that she respects the ideaology of game and fish. We make the wild turkey work wonderfully but segregating. Breast is typically split and stuffed - oven baked - stuffed with rice and or black bean mixes. Sometimes Mexican flavors some times mustards.
The wings, rib meat l, shoulders etc. are cubed and used for fajitas or grilled turkey salads.
The legs and thighs do wonderfully in chilis, fajitas stew or other things but I usually precook them I. The crock pot and then pick the good meat before starting the other recipe. All these meals work for the wife and kids.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 28 gauge shooter
KY Jon,
... a great pointer locked up on a covey and carrying a beautiful sxs.

If I could also get my dog to carry the double gun it would probably improve my success.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS;
Even though you listed lead first I assume the TSS is the bottle on the Left. "IF" pictured in order as listed the lead would appear Densest.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, it was a "test" and you passed. wink There was a comment that the TSS was "not heavier". Hard to read his mind, but he obviously meant "denser". He was accurate in one respect: A pound of TSS weighs the same as a pound of lead. The sample above is 18+ grams per cubic centimeter. Lead shot hovers at 11 g/cc. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,

From whom are you getting your TSS? I've looked at the Apex TSS load for the 2 3/4" 20ga but they are currently out of stock and at 1 3/8oz per shot a little heavier than I'd like. I have a 20ga Ithaca 37 I'd like to find a good turkey load for. I think a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounce load of TSS 9s @ 1100 fps would be a nice mild load for the gun.

Marc

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc, I pm'd a name to you. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys love to hunt turkeys and I'm happy for you. However, I side with Jon.

Years ago I helped run a quail preserve in North Carolina. We explored all the theories you can imagine. It seems that in different habitats, different factors are more negative than in other areas.

I don't think anything was as universally negative, as fall plowing and failure to leave fencerows.

However, even a blind man can see that we've got more hawks, coyotes, and turkeys than we had years ago. Turkeys eat quail eggs. You can go in an oak woods and see where they've gone on line, literally plowing the ground for food. Quail nest in three-year-old sedge. It is poor protection against predators. And these days it is hard to find.

The one thing Fish and Wildlife has never understood, is that good quail habitat is the best habitat for all Wildlife.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: volleyfire

The one thing Fish and Wildlife has never understood, is that good quail habitat is the best habitat for all Wildlife.

Funny how EVERY special interest group says that about their favorite species' habitat.

The true is, of course, that there is no single best habitat, or even good habitat, for all wildlife.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.