Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a scope on a turkey gun one year that gives me a right to have an opinion about one...I also shot 4x5x7 hevi shot a few years...fellows from my local gun club can attest that the fAiry dust pellets don't all pass through.

You TSS bOys are the ones bragging about 90 yard shots with the crap...

I do stand behind what I said about it takes a total moron to shoot a turkey with #9 size shot...not my fault the shoe fits you bOys. cool

Apex Ammunitions response to my question about pellet weight....

9's weigh 1.2grs. 9.5's weigh 1gr.

9's are the perfect TSS pellet size. More energy than lead 4's and equal energy to hevi shot 5's.

My response to Apex...

A lead #4 pellet weighs 3.30 grains....a lead #7 shot weighs 1.50 grains....both are substantially more weight than the smaller TSS pellet. Energy is figured by computing weight and velocity. There is no way a #9 TSS pellet weighing a third of a #4 lead can have more energy than a lead #4 shot moving at the same velocity.....fact is a lead #7 has more energy than a TSS #9 size shot moving at equal velocity.

Put that in yer TSS crAck pipe and puff on it. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

A nice 10 inch bearded tom turkey taken with a George Daw 12 gauge...

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
Sidelock
Sidelock

Us Southern boys just wince and look at the ground when we here some Northern guy refer to a gobbler as a "tom". Not judging, just saying...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 02/21/18 10:09 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Which is it jOe-you don't like folks shooting and killing turkeys at 90 yards with #9 TSS or you don't believe they do it? I don't know a single soul who shoots TSS that takes shots over 40 yards. Hevi-shot and TSS aren't the same if you are equating the two. Hevi-shot advertises a density of 13 g/cc, but some report it is not that dense and some say barely that of lead. I have recovered a few stone dead turkeys with a few TSS #9's inside breast meat, but most users report full travel through. However, you don't understand or maybe don't want to understand the difference between pellet penetration and the energy it takes to penetrate. You confuse energy with penetration. Of course a #4 lead pellet has more energy downrange if is traveling the same velocity as a #9 tungsten pellet but that doesn't mean it has the same depth of penetration. It takes less energy or velocity for an almost pure tungsten #9 to penetrate turkey bone and flesh and disrupt the CNS of a turkey than it does a lead #4. How much energy or force does it take to stick an ice pick into flesh as opposed to the energy or force needed to do it to the same depth with a blunt metal object of larger diameter? I guess you know more about this than any major shell manufacturing engineering team who has invested thousands of dollars in R&D and set-up costs. Five years ago when you made the same comments, I thought you were just being militantly ignorant. Now after the facts are in, I see it is more than ignorance at play.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice summation, GLS. joE don't know, and he doesn't know he don't know.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 02/22/18 12:26 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's the most wonderful time of the year for me. My papaw taught me how to call with my mouth, shuffling leaves and making them walk past me. I'm sure he shot his turkeys with the only gun he owned then. A Winchester 32wcf or 32-20 as we call it. I believe his last one was taken with a 44 magnum before his death. He ate every piece of the bird! I enjoy going remembering these times and making new memories. Whether it be with a kid that has never experienced a hot bird in your face to dropping off an old friend in a great spot on his/her own to sitting with them I still get the butterflies of a15 year old boy. I can't wait to make and share some more memories this year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Which is it jOe-you don't like folks shooting and killing turkeys at 90 yards with #9 TSS or you don't believe they do it? I don't know a single soul who shoots TSS that takes shots over 40 yards. Hevi-shot and TSS aren't the same if you are equating the two. Hevi-shot advertises a density of 13 g/cc, but some report it is not that dense and some say barely that of lead. I have recovered a few stone dead turkeys with a few TSS #9's inside breast meat, but most users report full travel through. However, you don't understand or maybe don't want to understand the difference between pellet penetration and the energy it takes to penetrate. You confuse energy with penetration. Of course a #4 lead pellet has more energy downrange if is traveling the same velocity as a #9 tungsten pellet but that doesn't mean it has the same depth of penetration. It takes less energy or velocity for an almost pure tungsten #9 to penetrate turkey bone and flesh and disrupt the CNS of a turkey than it does a lead #4. How much energy or force does it take to stick an ice pick into flesh as opposed to the energy or force needed to do it to the same depth with a blunt metal object of larger diameter? I guess you know more about this than any major shell manufacturing engineering team who has invested thousands of dollars in R&D and set-up costs. Five years ago when you made the same comments, I thought you were just being militantly ignorant. Now after the facts are in, I see it is more than ignorance at play.

Your entire reply is "ignorance at play"....

300 plus pellets in a 10 inch circle as you circle jerking pellet counters claim necessary to kill a turkey is stupid non sense.....

cOunsler if ones intent was to keep your shots at ethical ranges then why the need or want for a super hard tiny pellet...the intent is a lie that today even the liars are believing.

The 80 and 90 yard kill claims with #9 fAiry dust shot were pretty prevalent a short time ago...until people busted them for not being a turkey hunter.

If ones aim is off a little and the meat is hit with this hummingbird killing pattern then it's shot....

Show these grown men with common sense your hummingbird turkey patterns.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

And as far as the major shell manufactures giving in to this idiocy...that proves two things to me.

#1....The people in charge are as ignorant as the people shooting fAiry dust sized shot at turkeys

#2....Winchester has left the other ammo companies in their dust with their Longbeard shotshell technology and the others are scrambling for any piece of the market they can get.

If'n uwz women and girlie men can't tote a wittle 7 lb 12 ga shotgun....sit on the porch and leave the hunting to us men folk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Nice summation, GLS. joE don't know, and he doesn't know he don't know.
JR

You bOys ever think of getting your wives to tote yer tuekey guns and dA'coys to the blinds for you ?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank, there you go with the porch routine. Did you shoot the gobbler with the SBE and scope sitting on a porch like you told coosa to do if he didn't or couldn't shoot off of a bead? jOe, I don't care what you shoot a turkey with. You can shoot the "dumb birds" (your words in another thread) with rock salt for all I care if it kills them. If you think manhood is defined by the weight of gun you tote then maybe you have a deeper issue. If someone wants to shoot a turkey with a lightweight gun and reliably drop it in its tracks, why should that bother you? I got rid of my SBE and Ultimag 12s. My main turkey gun is a single-shot 20 ga. that weighs 5.5 lbs. My other gun is a single-shot .410 weighing less than 3.5 lbs. Both are stone cold turkey killers of birds I called up under 40 yards. Again, if they do kill birds without wounding them, why should that bother you? You crawfished around about using the scope after you got busted with the photo. You justified it by saying since you used one you had the standing to complain about one. Have you tried TSS? If not, why do you persist in complaining about it? It appears you painted yourself into a corner with your nose against the wall with your rash comments five years ago. You would have been better off keeping your thoughts(?) to yourself this time because the facts don't support you five years later. Have a nice day on the porch, Frank.

Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.