March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was at an rabbit hunt last weekend at Vieana, Al. There were several serious turkey hunters there many with every weekend of the season planned out with trips from Florida to Texas, Nebraska etc. I listened at length to the man who looked after the place for the mostly absentee landowner. He discussed at length the new TSS shot and his success with it. His current turkey load was a 20 ga 2 2/4 inch shell loaded with over an ounce of #9 TSS. They had been using TSS over over a year and he had done a lot of patterning with it. (He was on his third pound of it) He had "ranged" kills of over 85 yards. He said that at that range the TSS threw incredable patterns, no fether draw, and was absolutely unbelieveable. He was my age 60 and used some type of dot sight. PERSONALLY, I think he might as well be using a rifle as this is not what I consider to be turkey hunting. HOWEVER, this was not bullshit whiskey talk as he served grilled turkey breast from the previous season to close to 40 people who were there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tyler
I was at an rabbit hunt last weekend at Vieana, Al. There were several serious turkey hunters there many with every weekend of the season planned out with trips from Florida to Texas, Nebraska etc. I listened at length to the man who looked after the place for the mostly absentee landowner. He discussed at length the new TSS shot and his success with it. His current turkey load was a 20 ga 2 2/4 inch shell loaded with over an ounce of #9 TSS. They had been using TSS over over a year and he had done a lot of patterning with it. (He was on his third pound of it) He had "ranged" kills of over 85 yards. He said that at that range the TSS threw incredable patterns, no fether draw, and was absolutely unbelieveable. He was my age 60 and used some type of dot sight. PERSONALLY, I think he might as well be using a rifle as this is not what I consider to be turkey hunting. HOWEVER, this was not bullshit whiskey talk as he served grilled turkey breast from the previous season to close to 40 people who were there.

Tyler, I don't doubt that the guy told you that, and he might have actually killed a turkey at 85 yards with a lucky shot, but there is no way he is getting a reliable kill pattern at that kind of range with that setup. I've been using it for a decade and have shot a lot of test patterns too, and I have never seen a pattern that could have possibly performed like that. Tungsten provides the most reliable and efficient kills of any turkey ammo I've ever tried, but that guy was exaggerating, and exaggerating a lot.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are my main turkey big guns. The first I modified six years ago. Its a 5 lbs., 5 oz. Baikal MP18 20 gauge. After a few seasons, I gave it to a friend as a retirement present three seasons ago along with 20 rounds of TSS9s. This was my first bird with it. It went down in a classic lowcountry wiregrass and longleaf pine forest of mature trees. Jerry was a 10 ga. and 12 gauge hunter previously. You couldnt take this gun from him now because of the success he has had with it. The camo is my rattle-can paint work.

I replaced it with another MP18 20 gauge, but cut the barrel shorter to 25 overall with the extended Sumtoy choke and Ceracoated the barrel and action myself. Heres a lowcountry bird I shot with it. The birds primaries were dark like an Osceolas. It was standing in a few inches of water when I shot him. This area has been noted for Eastern and Osceola intergrades according to old species maps. These Russian guns are built like tanks and the first one cost $105 including shipping, but the other was a little more, NIB. I shoot either 1 5/16 oz. or 1 5/8 oz. TSS9s handloads when I carry the 20 ga. Yes, anyone can call them junk but they work fine for the job intended. One shot, one kill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=coosa]but that guy was exaggerating, and exaggerating a lot./quote]

Agree 100%.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

coosa, JR,
I've heard of "golden pellet" shots over the years that have anchored birds, but as has been mentioned before, you don't hear about the missed or wounded birds at excessive distances. When I got rid of my 10 gauges decades ago, one of my guns went to a man in SC. The loads we used in the 10's were 2 1/8 oz big shot (BB's where legal) and St. Louie Threes #3, 2.5 oz without a wad collar in the right barrel. It was for close shots. The man shot a fall bird with it in the Upper Piedmont and killed it with a single BB at a measured 100 yards. A friend who hunted with him verified it. This story isn't told to glamorize or endorse it, but just to point out that some incredible distances are shot by folks who shouldn't do it. Gil

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, GLS. I'm mostly a lurker, so surprised that you remember me.

I have just arrived back in Kenya and spent the last two days extricating my firearms from the police Central Firearms Bureau, where they must be lodged when you leave the country. Enough to put a guy off gun control, but I'll be back in the bush tomorrow.

Hunting was banned here in 1977, about the same time that most of the old nitro calibers had become obsolete and unavailable, replaced by the .458. Had I known what I know now, I could have bought up scores of British double rifles for next to nothing and be a rich man today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF

Hunting was banned here in 1977, about the same time that most of the old nitro calibers had become obsolete and unavailable, replaced by the .458. Had I known what I know now, I could have bought up scores of British double rifles for next to nothing and be a rich man today.

Hindsight is so wonderfully sharp and clear.

Have fun down there.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not going to get into a "pissing match" over this but I just got off the phone with David Clark, Tom Kelly's publisher, agent, etc. They just returned from the NWTF meeting in Nashville. We discussed Tom's failing health and I promised to call him. David confirmed that results like the one I mentioned previously were not uncommon. He told me of devastating patterns from 410s at 65 yards. If yall do not know who Tom Kelly is then you should. Im too old to argue about such. I would, however, be willing to place a substantial bet with anyone willing to travel to West Alabama to settle it.
Again, I do not consider shooting turkeys at such range to be sporting, ethical or proper. That does not mean that it can't be done repeatedly and consistantly with proper eqipment. What I have seen my son do with his 308, a cronograph, and an app on his phone Re: shooting targets at 800 years is almost beyond my belief. Only a few years ago, I would have bet the ranch that it could not be done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first turkey was with a 12 ga. 3 1/2 in 97. Only used that gun on two birds and had enough of that!!! But thats what everyone used back then. I now use a 20 ga. 870 with Hevi-13 6s and 7s. Thats all I need Thats the range I like to shoot turkeys. Is a good 35-40 yard gun. Still use a 12 ga on occasion. 3 Hevi13 either 6s or mag blends. Or nothing wrong with lead #5s.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tyler, up thread I posted a Tom Kelly quote. It's at the bottom of post #505927. Years ago Mr. Kelly led the unsuccessful fight against legalizing decoys in Alabama for turkeys. Ironically, he was videoed a few years ago with some hunters fanning or "reaping" turkeys. They were standing on a road in full view, holding a fan and a gobbler ran straight to them. I was surprised that he would be a party to that after his position on decoys.
Gil

Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.