May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (KY Jon, L. Brown, Hugh Lomas, HMAK, Dave Weber, Guy Ave), 918 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,406
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those loads Gill is spouting off about are over loaded and he knows it...and stuffed with small shot to make the pattern look good to the novice. Years ago I had a custom bps 12 ga.turkey gun by Tom Choke out of Louisiana...it would walk all over a fabled custom Bansner 10 ga.an acquiatance owned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

If they really adhered to the lies they tell about how close they like to shoot their turkeys at....then there is no need for super duper TSS shot in any gauge.
What say the 25 yard fAiry dusters...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I stand by my comment that I think that anyone that would shoot a turkey with a #9 size pellet of any type is a mOron.

Why? If he's within 25 steps (turkey hunters always say steps instead of yards), he's had it. I don't believe in shooting at a turkey gobbler past 35 steps anyway, and I know that distance perfectly because I either wait until he's that close or he gets away without a shot. The dudes with 10 gauges shooting at them at 65 steps is what I despise.

But nothing bothers me more than using a decoy. I TRULY despise those damn things. Made for people who refuse to learn how to call a turkey or where to set up for the best chance at calling him in.

But you have to understand something: I'm a severe old-school turkey hunter from the Deep South where it all started, and there's just some things I have bought into over the past 40 years about this sport that I believe to be worthy of adhering to, and I suffer poorly those who take shortcuts.
JR
Yes I read everything you wrote...don't let the TSS cult following fool you they are looking for the long shot short cut. They've been busted so many times for bragging most are now singing a new tune...and yes my SBE with a 3 & 1/2" shell will out shoot any factory loaded 10 ga...that I've ever shot. That being said I no longer shoot 3& 1/2 shells Winchester Longbeard 3" #4 shot let me get away from it...and I no longer shoot a turkey choke...and any turkey hunter that says he won't shoot past 35 steps is....well you figure it out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot turkeys with Rem.870s, Mossbergs, Browning BPS pumps, several O/Urs several with a Scott box lock 2&1/2" 12 ga. and big pile of turkeys with a W.C. Scott sidelock pidgeon gun with 2 & 3/4" #4s a Purdy 10 ga. and a W.C.Scott 10ga. (both choked hammer guns and killed turkeys with black and modern powder out of both)...a 10ga. W.C.Scott muzzle loader and a few with a 12 ga. Pre choke Scott hammer gun with briley 20 ga. tubes with 2 &3/4" #4 pheasant loads..and last but not least my two left handed SBEs I've killed turkeys with lead, bismuth and hevi shot and guess what they were all just as dead...but I'd have to homeless living on the street to be caught dead toting a yildzzzz just the thought of looking at that nasty thing makes me sick...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too good or too bad?

Such a simple question, and one essential to understand the poster's logic, and yet he can't answer it.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding the "too good" allegation. The load jOe touts, the Winchester Longbeards, is advertised by Winchester to be effective to 60 yards. Anecdotal reports of birds being killed farther have circulated. Anecdotal reports are also in about TSS9's making long kills as well. One of his beefs about TSS are the long shots folks claim. Shouldn't he be concerned about the misuse of Longbeards as well? Are we not hearing reports of birds being wounded by the misuse of Longbeards on long shots? Aren't Longbeards being used in blinds over decoys on fields, too? He says we aren't hearing reports of wounded birds by TSS9's and he believes it's happening. Why are Longbeards immune from the same criticism when he harangues only about "pixie dust"? If he's shooting inside 40 yards which he hasn't said he is one way or the other, why does he need a 3" shell with 1 7/8 oz of lead? What's wrong with 2 3/4"?
Now I don't feel I can tell jOe what to shoot, nor do I feel he should he tell others what to shoot as long as they aren't leaving wounded birds in the woods. As far as I know, he isn't. Neither am I.
And he still hasn't posted 40 yard patterns of his current load. He asked me to do so of mine, which I did. His turn. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shortly after I made those videos my gun club banned shooting the steel pattern board with shot bigger that 7.5 because a few idiOts were shooting it with buck shot and slugs...truth is I haven't saw the need to re-pattern my gun in several years and I'm not going out of my way to try and convince stupid people of anything with a picture of a paper target with an Olive oil can.

So give up it's not likely I'll be posting any pattern pictures for your consumption...but I can assure you my SBE with a Code Black Goose tube shoots the 3" #4 longbeard just as good as the 3.5" shell out to 50 yards and better at closer ranges...and the 3" #4 Longbeard shoots almost as good out of my Winchester 101 30" full and full gun.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe, there you go again. Your typical non-responsive bullshit duck and weave. I showed photos of the actual patterns in addition to the penetration photo into a steel can. You may have forgotten or just misstating facts but they are up thread.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe made the comment when he got busted on his comments about anyone using optics needed to stay on the porch. He answered this with he felt it was fair to comment on something he tried. I had forgotten that on May 14, 2013 in post #324770 that I offered to send him at my expense to his FFL carrier both my .410 and 20 gauge single shots with loaded ammo for him to use as he deemed fit in the fall turkey season and return them to me afterwards. Well, he didn't take me up on it, yet despite his assertions he feels free to comment on things he's tried but not otherwise, he blathers on negatively on something he hasn't tried.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=324552&page=5

May 14, 2013 #324770

jOe,
With over 250 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with the below 20 or 125 pellets in a .410 at 40 yards, it would be the cumulative effect of more than 1 pellet killing a turkey with a well-placed shot. And yes, .6 grains in a small pellet that does not deform as lead does makes the difference. Note that I weighed and measured 8s, not 9s. Ill have to scrounge up some lead 9s to make that comparison. It has been demonstrated by both gel tests and KPY ballistics software (sold by numerous sources) that 9 tungsten super shot penetrates 1.62 at 62 yards, slightly better than lead 4s at the same distance and velocity. I have read reports of large leg bones being shattered by the tungsten 9s. A buddy has killed 17 gobblers without a miss or wounded bird with the .410 load of tss 9s. The .410 load of 13/16 oz. contains 310 tungsten 9s. To get that shot count with lead 4s in a 12 gauge requires 2 oz. My .410 weighs 3 lbs, 9 oz. rigged out. My SBE rigged-out weighs over 8 lbs and Im selling it. I prefer carrying the lighter gun which has proven lethality on turkeys. You might get by with a bead on a shotgun, but my 65 year-old eyeballs cant, but I am no porch or decoy sitter nor do I hunt turkeys from a blind over feed plots. At my expense I will send either gun below with shells to your local FFL. Hunt one or the other on fall turkeys. I wont need them at that time. You say you dont criticize without trying something first. Now is your chance to do both. The 5 7/8 lb. 20 gauge cost $91 NIB and the 3 lb., 9 oz. .410 cost $129 NIB last summer. Far from perfect turkey guns with only one shot, not fancy for sure, but with crisp, light triggers and well-choked for the shot used. And I will try not to catch on fire so you dont have to make a split second decision whether or not to pee on my leg. wink Return them at the end of your fall season. You game?

Sidelock
Sidelock

And yall say us Yankees are crazy.

Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.