April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, bushveld, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

LR, we have to be discontented with turkey hunting as we don't have a heritage of hockey. wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never liked ugly women and I sure don't like ugly junk guns...

Send me your ugly yildiz counselor and I'll be glad to whup it around a tree and burn it for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
My SBE rigged-out weighs over 8 lbs and Im selling it.

What does rigged out mean ?

You might get by with a bead on a shotgun, but my 65 year-old eyeballs cant

Get a bigger bead...that's what I did.

Doesn't take a TSS rOcket scientist to figure that out.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saddlemount and an older model Aimpoint red dot, extended choke. Gun is long gone. I swapped it even with a man four years ago for my 1939 Ithaca NID Magnum 10 3.5" 32" barrels that I had sold to him decades ago. I bought the gun out of Shotgun News ad from the late Thad Scott of Indianola, MS. sometime in 1978-80.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems I did answer you...

No thanks....my W&C Scotts work just fine.

And they do it with class....

Both guns barrels are equally choked (the sidelock 12 is choked .035 the hammer 10 is choked a little less than .030) making them as close to the perfect turkey gun as you can get.

Thanks for bring up the old post Gill I wondered what happened to these pics....the bottom photo should have two longbeards in the pic but my buddy missed his shot with his modern gun topped with a scOpe. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saddlemount and an older model Aimpoint red dot, extended choke. Gun is long gone. I swapped it even with a man four years ago for my 1939 Ithaca NID Magnum 10 3.5" 32" barrels that I had sold to him decades ago. I bought the gun out of Shotgun News ad from the late Thad Scott of Indianola, MS. sometime in 1978-80.

You had an early flat ribbed SBE...they were known to shoot low.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LR, we have to be discontented with turkey hunting as we don't have a heritage of hockey. wink Gil

Discontent doesnt last this long in hockey. Someone is usually laying unconscious on the ice by page six.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads

Discontent doesnt last this long in hockey. Someone is usually laying unconscious on the ice by page six.

Either that or an octopus.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
And yall say us Yankees are crazy.

smile. That was a good one, LR. No other group is as crazy as Southern turkey hunters. We all do it a little different, and many really believe that their way is the only "right" way to do it. Some of them are so crazy they will pay absurd amounts of money for a trumpet call and they won't have a clue of how to use it. I'm not being critical; more power to the guy able to sell them.

Since the thread hasn't gotten so far off track and turned into a gripe session, I might as well provide the board with my own list of things I dislike in the current turkey hunting world. I am not calling anyone unethical for doing any of it if it's legal in your state. These are just things I don't do and I don't like.

1) Hunting turkeys with decoys. I killed one years ago with the aid of a decoy and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I wish the whole turkey decoy industry would go away.

2) Hunting them over bait. Just go buy one at the store instead of doing this.

3) Shooting them with centerfire rifles. It's legal in a few states, but my idea of turkey hunting is calling up a gobbler in the spring and shooting him with a shotgun. Everyone else should think like me. wink

4) Hunting them with the aid of a dog. Few things in life are more enjoyable than hunting with a good quail dog, but if you gotta have a dog to kill a turkey you should just stay on the porch. I am really thankful that my state has always made this illegal.

5) Drumroll,.... And the worst practice in all of hunting is shooting a hen turkey. The spring gobbler is a surplus bird and it doesn't affect the overall population to remove some. Killing hens is killing the future. I really can't imagine how a grown man could get any enjoyment from such a thing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Coosa,
Up North we are all most as crazy, as you Southeren Turkey hunters, (LOL!!) one of my fondest memories back in the 70s was hunting with Ben Rogers Lee. Big as life,good old boy who's second language was English (first of course was Turkey).
Ben hunted with a 10 gauge, big man big gun. And had the same rule of thumb, no rifle, no bait, no dogs and no hens. For decoys, not sure of.
I have been taking youth hunter first time turkey hunters to the woods for the past 12 years, and this is the only time I use a couple of decoys. I still call the birds in and the decoys keep the attention of the Tom off the young hunter, that are not always able to sit still.
Several years back, I took a good friend turkey hunting in NY. He was a big predator hunter, and hunted with a sxs Churchill 10 guage and Nitro Rays special blind of 2 and a half oz of 2s, that kicked like a Clydesdale! He took his first bird, no more than 25 steps. I think every bone on that bird was broken. I hope he still remembers that bird.

Last edited by 28 gauge shooter; 02/25/18 04:50 PM.
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.