April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, barrel browner, Ducks Rx, Roundsworth, LGF, graybeardtmm3), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll give a +1 on the Lacrosse Grange(s). Hard to believe an inexpensive rubber boot can be so comfortable, and long lasting. I've got two pairs of them. I've been wearing the first pair, Mossy Oak Breakup pattern, for at least 20 years. Last year, in Mack's, I bought another pair of Mossy Oak Bottomland pattern, thinking the older ones would certainly go bad soon. No chance. I believe they will outlast me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
John, for wet work, I have a pair of LeChameau Chasseurs covered with Turtleskin Gaiters. I can't put on a slip on rubber boot because of high insteps and that's why I got the LeChameau with its baffled zipper. I have side-stepped cottonmouths and copperheads turkey hunting and one place we hunted was loaded with Eastern Diamondbacks. One area I hunt regularly I ran across a coiled-up canebrake while looking for Chanterelles this summer. It was within a rock throw from where I've killed birds. What you have never seen, has seen you for sure. Gil

I've also got a pair of Chasseurs I've had since the mid '90's that I absolutely love, have worn them during the cold months here for days on end. The average redneck looks at them like a mule looking at a new gate, but I couldn't care less, They are a good bit heavier than a Grange so They stay in the closet during turkey season.

You're probably right about who's seen who when it comes to me and snakes.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 02/28/18 11:03 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Snake story, sorta: About 25 years ago I took a 11 year old boy turkey hunting, the son of a good friend. He had grown up with guns and knew his way around shotguns and had his own auto. We found one in the tree. The boy was to my right sitting with his back to the same tree I was on. I was calling and he was the shooter. With the bird within 50-60 yards, but unseen, the boy's gun went off and the shot hit about five feet in front of us. Mud flew up about head high in the air. Startled the bejebus out of me. Wish I could say I was the picture of calmness but after my soliloquy which was shorter, but bluer than the Gettysburg Address, I feel assured that won't happen again. I told him to be still and wait. Within 5 minutes, the bird started up gobbling and was walking off from us. We wide circled and set down trying to get in front of him. As we set down, I saw a copperhead about 8-10 feet away, crawling away. Word must've gotten out about the boy and his gun. "Let's leave it alone" I said and we set down on another tree. "I got to pee" said the boy. "Roll over on your side and do it." "I'll just do it in my pants" which he did. We never saw the bird or heard him again and that was enough adventure for me; we rode home; him with wet pants. It was a miracle mine weren't or worse. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chasseurs may be worth me buying just for the ease of getting them off. My older pair of Granges has a vacuum chamber hidden somewhere in the footbed. I haven't been able to find it, to disable it, and every time I try to get them off it comes on and sucks at my feet. The newer pair have a slicker finish on the inside fabric lining, and come off pretty easily.

Think I'll start watching ebay.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've owned Alpha Burlys and Grange boots. For me at least, they both start to stretch out around the ankle and then they start to give me blisters. I've successfully used camouflage duct tape to 're-tighten' the ankle area, but that makes them near impossible to remove.

Are the Chameau boots worth almost 4 pairs of Granges? If they would last, remain waterproof and maintain their form/fit, I would consider them in the future. For me, at present, I look at the Granges as disposable footwear - wear for a year maybe two then buy a new pair.

I've heard that the older Lacrosse boots were made from better rubber here in the states and lasted much longer. But alas, this is not the world we live in now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LaCross and LaChemeu Chasseurs are no comparison. I wouldn't trade my wore out Chasseurs for a life time supply of a the LaCross granger boots...no real comparison one is a battle to get on and off and in hot weather wet and clammy inside the leather lined LaChemue is neither. Gil them zippers look cool....Russell talked me into letting them put a zipper in mine...guess what when I got them I put them on and laced them up un zipped them and they would not come off without unlacing them.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As for waterproof, anything but rubber, is a joke. I've had numerous "waterproof" "breathable" snake boots that get soaked inside walking through dew covered grass, boots from Rocky to LaCrosse laced, zip ups.
In the early years of turkey hunting, I just went ahead and got used to having wet feet with with Vietnam era jungle boots. I couldn't wear the LaCrosse lace-ups as they aggravated plantar fasciitis in my right foot regardless if I had orthotics in them or not. If foot comfort and convenience have value beyond dollars and cents, Chameau can't be beat. They can't be left in a hot attic as they are rubber. Leather lining helps defeat moisture build up from sweat. With two pairs of quality boots, you can spend as much on boots as what a set of truck tires cost, but then you never have to rotate your feet. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I put a pair of the green Superfeet inserts in mine and it perfects the LaChemeu

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was a young Indiana quail hunter (we dont have any quail to speak of now) I wore the LaCrosse grange. It is oftentimes muddy and wet in Indiana. If my feet got sweaty those boots were an absolute bear to get off. They did seem to offer some ankle support, however. I have a pair of LeChameau boots....NO ankle support in my opinion. I rarely wear them. Ive gone to pretty much leather even when its wet. In the grouse woods, Ive found ankle support is a must at least for me (and now that Im older, for quail too).

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I put a pair of the green Superfeet inserts in mine and it perfects the LaChemeu

I have Pure Stride Red inserts that do the trick for mine.

Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.