March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 63 of 81 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good hooks, Gil. And a good commentary, too.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One hung up on me yesterday afternoon. Those "special" strings; Bass Pro or Macks Prairie Wings? Don't hold out on a buddy...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, the "string they come in on", one end is usually tied to the "key to success" which you hold. I will pm where I get mine. If everyone had one of those strings they'd be spider webbing the woods....

The oral history of the location where I shot the bird is that during the Civil War, locals hid their cattle and valuables in the swamp to protect them form plunder by Hazen's Division of Sherman's Right Wing as the marched through Georgia to the sea. The open swamp is surrounded by titi (pronounced "tie-tie") shrubs ("hells") which can grow 20' feet tall, often laced with cat claw briers and are almost impenetrable to move through. I know a few ways into it, but they still present challenges. I've hacked paths through it, but vegetation takes over quickly between seasons. I almost went into one of those areas yesterday, looked at the entry point and drove on. Even on a good day they can be challenging. I had flashbacks of getting cut up, losing calls, Thermocells, a compass, etc. moving through that crap. One time my feet didn't touch the ground for 10 yards as I moved from branch to branch moving towards a bird on the other side. All I had to show for that adventure was a lost box call.
Glad I took the path of least resistance yesterday and showed up where I ultimately went. 99% of my success was just showing up where I did. Makes up for some of the birds that put me through the wringer without success. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot understand why a seasoned, veteran turkey hunter with numerous, sometimes gluttonous, kills under his belt over many years in the Spring woods would lower himself to using a dummy device ("decoy", yeah right) to kill a wild turkey gobbler just to satisfy a blood lust, instead of woodsmanship, strategy (where you park your ass), and skilled, timely use of various calls to bring him in close for a clean, honorable kill. Some of it is laziness, but The Ego is a powerful thing...pitiful. And please don't respond trying to justify it.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 03/28/18 11:29 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, who you talking about? If me, I don't use decoys. However, some do for justifiable reasons such as mobility issues. I know a man who killed a turkey when he was in his late 90's which he wouldn't have been able to do if he had to "run and gun".

Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I didn't understand what the "string" you described was for, Gil. Thought it for manipulating a dummy bird. Didn't think you had reduced yourself to that level anyway. And the scenario you mention about mobility/disability is certainly legit, though I do believe there comes a time in one's life when a man has to admit there are some things he just cannot do anymore...
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Geo, the "string they come in on", one end is usually tied to the "key to success" which you hold. I will pm where I get mine. If everyone had one of those strings they'd be spider webbing the woods....

The oral history of the location where I shot the bird is that during the Civil War, locals hid their cattle and valuables in the swamp to protect them form plunder by Hazen's Division of Sherman's Right Wing as the marched through Georgia to the sea. The open swamp is surrounded by titi (pronounced "tie-tie") shrubs ("hells") which can grow 20' feet tall, often laced with cat claw briers and are almost impenetrable to move through. I know a few ways into it, but they still present challenges. I've hacked paths through it, but vegetation takes over quickly between seasons. I almost went into one of those areas yesterday, looked at the entry point and drove on. Even on a good day they can be challenging. I had flashbacks of getting cut up, losing calls, Thermocells, a compass, etc. moving through that crap. One time my feet didn't touch the ground for 10 yards as I moved from branch to branch moving towards a bird on the other side. All I had to show for that adventure was a lost box call.
Glad I took the path of least resistance yesterday and showed up where I ultimately went. 99% of my success was just showing up where I did. Makes up for some of the birds that put me through the wringer without success. Gil

Hunters in other parts of the country than the Deep South cannot know what it's like to negotiate the terrain you just described, Gil. I've done it, and it takes most of the fun out.
JR

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
I guess I didn't understand what the "string" you described was for, Gil. Thought it for manipulating a dummy bird. Didn't think you had reduced yourself to that level anyway. And the scenario you mention about mobility/disability is certainly legit, though I do believe there comes a time in one's life when a man has to admit there are some things he just cannot do anymore...
JR

John, I was poking fun at the hook and bullet magazine accounts of birds "coming in on a string" and other tales of their "keys to success" being xyz call, Real Tree, Dead Tree Camo, etc. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be nice if JR could find a sense of humor to purchase. If outright purchase is too much, perhaps one might be put on lay-away...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd chip in to help with the purchase.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 63 of 81 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.