May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (AaronN, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44, Wild Skies, 2 invisible), 413 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,762
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Holland & Holland no longer have a presence in NYC (bad info posted earlier in this thread - imagine that). They moved their USA gunroom to Dallas, TX.

Beretta Gallery is still open though and would make for a great stop. See if you can take a look of Hemingway's Beretta 12 gauge O/U that is there.

I would second the American Museum of Natural History. There are also some gun collections to be found there.

As for restaurants there are so many great restaurants, some already mentioned, I would not know where to start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a resident of Manhattan, I add my vote for the Museum of Natural History and the Oyster Bar. At the Oyster Bar, I recommend Oysters Rockefeller, which are oysters baked with a delicious sauce. I have had them several times and think they are great. If you happen to be in lower Manhattan, visiting the World Trade Center Memorial, you may pass the Federal Reserve Building on Maiden Lane. If you go that way, say a brief vintage gun lover's prayer, because the Maiden Lane side of the Federal Reserve building is where Patrick Mullin's gunmaking shop used to be located! One of the very best American gunmakers, trained in London and Dublin, who moved to NYC and made the finest sporting guns in the era of Teddy Roosevelt and earlier.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

once had a double percussion gun with mullin marked lock plates and the maiden lane address on the top rib. as i recall the barrels had english proofs...

any other mullin marked guns that come to mind?...did he ever make breech loaders?

what about other nyc based double gun makers?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an oddball suggestion sure to roll family eyeballs: New York's Marble Cemetery will be open Easter Day. Theodore Gordon, the father of the American school of dry fly fishing is buried there. It's a small walled cemetery with New York notables among the occupants. http://www.marblecemetery.org/
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

dont go at night...

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the FWIW column, New York was way-better than I thought it would be. Even though it was perpetually a mob-scene, I never felt unsafe (lots of security everywhere, even armed military). We hired a young man who was an excellent guide (an under-employed architect) and it was almost non-stop action. Learned some great history about this country's founding (Faunce's Tavern was neat). The food was fun and very good, the hotel was also fun (but $$$$!). All in all, it wasn't what I had expected. Never made it to Beretta (closed on Sunday). Walked an average of 7-miles per day (even riding the subways). The kids had fun and the adults did too.

The view from 104 floors up:

The Lady at night from the Staten Island Ferry:

The somber stuff...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/02/18 06:27 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, glad you had a great time. I was there last May and was also atop the One World Trade Center as you were. The highlight for me was watching a Peregrine falcon eyeball-to-eyeball as it seemingly hovered 25 yards away against the strong head wind looking for a pigeon 104 floors below. First one I'd ever seen.
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

great that you had a good visit to the big apple!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife and I had a trip to NYC scheduled two weeks ago. Our flight was canceled due to the impending snow storm. We regrouped and drove to New Orleans instead. We'll have to save New York for another time. Disappointed but I learned a lot in the planning process. I'll have a head start on the next attempt.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can't recommend enough the young man that was our guide. His ability to gauge the interests of our diverse group (at least age-wise) and his depth of knowledge of the history of the City was quite remarkable. He adapted perfectly to the changing weather conditions we encountered, gave us a primer on using the subway system, knew where to go to avoid the worst of the crowds, and also where to try the best foods for the best prices. His sense of history, current culture, and trends in the various neighborhoods was also quite impressive. He clearly loves his city and wanted to impress us with what it had to offer. Surprisingly, he was a conservative New Yorker as well, and our conversations were fun and very insightful.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/03/18 01:40 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.