May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, CJF, Jtplumb, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 366 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,758
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Next time, see if he guides South Dakota pheasant! Naw, glad you folks had a great time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd great pictures, thanks for sharing.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

your pictures of central park and atlas, with st patrick's in the background, bring back fond memories of good times past...thank you...anymore manhattan pics you care to post would be appreciated...

and your comment regarding your guides conservative views just proves that new york is a wonderfully diverse society...why there are even people there from outer space...one can often find them selling rolex watches and umbrellas on 42nd street...

Last edited by ed good; 04/03/18 09:03 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

New York is clearly all about "money", and that attracts every sex, color, & creed of humanity. Being raised in rural (& semi-rural) hillbilly-hell tends to bias one somewhat against big cities in general, but... it would be a major disservice to one's full-appreciation of life's many options to not experience it. "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere" really does apply in this case. A "Meritocracy" is a very good thing to have and... we still do it better in America than anywhere else. Warts and all.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/04/18 12:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are interesting odds and ends in New York and places like it, but day in and day out life does not seem to be such a great thing from my point of seeing it. Our kid that lived there for three years was really excited to head there, but more than ready to move on when the time came. Watching routine life there can look very limiting and monotonous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a people watching city. No better place in NA.
Times square on a nice day, wow.

Lloyd, did you try a knish?

My observation is that the apartments are so small in a vertical city, that everyone expands their space by living outside their apartment. Hence the myriad of people out and about, the places to go and things to do. Beats sitting in a box 20 floors up.

Out there doing it best I can.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the great waterfowling and shorebird hunting areas in North America during the late 1800s early 1900s was just across the bay from Manhattan in Jamaica Bay, east of Brooklyn and west of Queens. It's now an 18,000 acre refuge and a NYC park all as big as Manhattan. My daughter has lived and worked in Brooklyn for almost 3 years and it has some beautiful, self-contained neighborhoods and we have enjoyed the visits there. Gil

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CZ: never ran into one. I do have some limiting issues with my diet (souvenirs from a bad tick-bite), but I would have loved to try one. Food seems very different to me there now from the last visit I had there (35-years ago). Much cleaner and more business-like (& almost always $20). It felt much-safer too (way-better than DC). Lots of security around (if you looked for them, mostly well blended-in).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
It's a people watching city....

....My observation is that the apartments are so small in a vertical city, that everyone expands their space by living outside their apartment. Hence the myriad of people out and about, the places to go and things to do. Beats sitting in a box 20 floors up.

I think that was my somewhat disappointment when I visited. I'd see the same people in the morning come out of the front door of the apartment, maybe get a coffee or bagel within a block, and then I assume off to work. In the evening, the same folks, pick up a small sack of groceries or take out food, then back up stairs and do it all over the next day.

In many apartments, everyone hangs a bag of dirty laundry on their door knob, then a service charges them by the pound to wash clothes. I've watched old timers struggle to walk up a few flights of stairs because of rent control they can't afford to move from the place that they used to dash up the stairs when they were younger. In some of the name hotels, you can sit on the corner of the bed and touch the bathroom door and dresser. It's not exaggerating to note that the overwhelming majority are very rude and impatient.

I think places to go and things to do is a myth that tourists come up with. I'd go bonkers myself much beyond a few day visit, but I suppose that's just me. Maybe, outside living would be more pleasant if the jerks would just lay off their car horns. Alrighty, that was fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd

I think places to go and things to do is a myth that tourists come up with. I'd go bonkers myself much beyond a few day visit, but I suppose that's just me. Maybe, outside living would be more pleasant if the jerks would just lay off their car horns. Alrighty, that was fun.

It's not just you, craigd. As a young man I once bemoaned a 28 mile drive (each way) to town to get something I needed, to a friend. He replied "One day you'll be thankful you live as far from town as you do." I understand that now, and...........I am.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.