April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (barrel browner, Replacement, PALUNC, Tim in PA, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 443 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,197
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Yesterday at 09:34 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 992B
.... and mostly they had boiled linseed oil, shellac, lacquer, and varnish, to finish the outsides of the wood. Those weren't really true sealers against the elements, even had they finished the inside of the wood.

Don't write these products off as ineffective just because they are not high-tech. There are thousands of gunstocks that have survived many decades use and still have the surviving original finishes. They seal against the elements pretty darned good, I'd say, when properly applied.

As long as we desire beauty in a gunstock we will put up with the vagaries and "drawbacks" of wood. It's a trade off, one that I'm willing to make. There are millions of synthetic stocked guns for the buying, if one wants stocks that are trouble free, and basically maintenance free. I will continue to use my shellac to seal new inletting. It seems to last just fine, to me. I have one M/L rifle that was built by a dear departed friend in the 1950s. It's lock inlet was sealed with shellac, and I pulled the lock recently and it looked just fine. No signs of flaking or deterioration. The last m/l I built was about 1995, and it looks like new inside the lock inlet, with no deterioration of the sealing shellac. And, for the record, these m/l rifles are not kept in a climate controlled environment. No heat, no a/c, no humidity control. They don't get rained on, but that's about it.

Twenty three years after sealing with shellac......

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 04/04/18 07:14 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Planned obsolesence as a theory for lack of interior stock finish is ridiculous.

Why anyone has to ask questions that simply will never be answered by someones theories a hundred or two years later brings out these foolish speculations. There is this kind of drivel in Burrard's writings and he could have actually asked someone!

Surely anyone who hand made a sidelock to the best quality he knew how, with many generations passing their best knowledge and experience of creating quality was Not advance planning for the stock to fail.

Stating, "the number of guns that we assume to have 'original' stocks is far smaller than generally thought." Is pure speculation from someone who should know better.

These unanswerable questions mainly come down to, "they just didn't consider it important".

That told me!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps it has something to do with the type of gun and intent of its use. In the 90's I was designing and having built benchrest standard varmint rifles with wooden stocks (good synthetic stocks were still in the future). The importance of controlling the harmonics of the action and barrel were just beginning to be understood and with it came glass bedding, pillar bedding, aluminum blocks and as part of the accurizing process, sealing the wood to prevent any swelling or warping. That included the inside of the action, barrel channel and under the butt plate along with all other exposed parts.

A 100 years ago shotguns, as they are today, are not accurate instruments and I expect it was more important to allow the wood to breath in the various conditions it was exposed to to prevent it from over drying or rotting and resultant splits and cracks.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.