March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 67 of 81 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 80 81
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Henry Davis in his classic The American Wild Turkey (1949) wrote in Chapter XIV about his Greener which he said this about Greener: "Some jealous modern American writers have tried to disparage Greener, but is my deliberate judgement that he knew more about shotguns than any other man who has ever lived, and that he made the best shotguns the world has ever seen." He sent his specs to Greener's American agent and took delivery of his "high tensile strength steel" barreled doublegun in 1910 chambered for 2 3/4" shells. He also had a Lewis Magnum and ultimately a second hand Greener pigeon gun which was the equal to the Lewis. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing that!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, be glad to help Keith. I am glad you enjoy the call. I wish I could say I was talented enough to have made the striker I gave Billy for the call. It's deer antler with a perfect 3D dogwood blossom carved in the end. Dogwoods are in full bloom this time of the year in the lowcountry. I hunt birds in places covered with dogwood. If you squint your eyes and look through the forest, it looks like a blizzard coming through the trees. Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Coosa, we are not worthy over here. What a bird! Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
WOW, If Gil and Coosa are morons for using #9TSS, I don't know what he'll think of Wingshooter16 getting this bird with #9 lead....1 ounce from a 16 gauge Manufrance Ideal. Pretty sure the choke is .034. In case anyone is wondering, I am posting on behalf of Wingshooter16, as he is away from his computer and can barely manage a phone to take a picture. laugh

Anyway, as has been noted in other threads, I shamed him into putting away his full auto Franchi canon with 10" chambers shooting a pound of #11 TSS or whatever it is that he has been using to blow turkey into red mist and gently encouraged him to walk the walk (active member of both Double Gun and 16 Gauge Society....anyone else see the discrepancy?) and use the proper weapon. Which he did and here's the evidence:

I think this one is being sent to GQ for Mike's upcoming photo spread. How rugged! A real man's man. Although I'm deducting points for the lawn furniture. I think his Texan card should be revoked.

And here is the backup.

Bwahahahaha...Mike will likely never ask me to post for him again.

Thanks for posting for me, James. As to being needled and having points deducted for the lawn furniture, if you've chased birds in the Southwest you know cactus spines inhabit what appears to be bare ground, and the last thing you want to do is sit in them. The right knee down for that one photo, on seemingly bare ground, rendered those pants unwearable, and I spent about 20 minutes pulling those fine, hair-like cactus spines out of my knee. The shot was between 25 and 30 yards, and the ounce of 9's outa the right tube anchored the bird as well as any other load I've used. Pattern density rocks.

Not a big bird, but he and his buddy came a'gobblin to the calls, and made it a fine opener.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, first time I was in TX hunting Rios I was amazed at how jakes could give decent gobbles. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Cautionary Tale:
A local turkey hunter was hurt this past weekend. Walking through the woods, he heard a bird gobble very close to where he was.

He dropped straight to the ground and began 'butt-walking' back to a nearby tree. Somehow, his safety came off and the trigger snagged something.

His shotgun went off and he shot himself in the foot. The shot charge passed through the inside flesh and mercifully did no bone or nerve damage. He drove himself to the emergency room.

I've seen the picture of his foot but didn't feel it was appropriate to post it. Use your imagination.

Be careful!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course, we all want to know what his shot size was smile

But a good point about being careful. We all think we are, until we find out we aren't.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

He's gonna need new boots...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Terrible thing to happen, but I hope they weren't the expensive Russells.
Karl

Page 67 of 81 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.