March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 97 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 96 97
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are a few miscellaneous items I've found or are still working on which I'll post here for posterity or for someone who really wants to write a book on the Reilly's

========================================================================================================================================
1823 - Reilly as "Jeweler"

JC Reilly was still identified as a “Jeweler.

I assume he also was a silver plate worker but you don’t just register a mark (which he allegedly did in 1819) - you have to pass through stages of excellence in the silver world and I can’t find evidence of this. This is a work in progress; would appreciate any help in search silver mark sources for information on this part of his career. What type of “jewels” did he make? Here is the only example I’ve been able to find. Telling isn’t it. http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/page009.html

========================================================================================================================================
1823 - Reilly's Hunting License

- Joseph Charles Reilly of “Hampstead” (Middlesex, i.e. London) was awarded a Hunting License. (“London Morning Chronical,” 13 Sep 1823). Hampstead was still countryside but wasn’t that far from Holborn Bars. We’ve often wondered where Reilly’s 300 yard shooting range was located. It might be in Hampstead - which is a "heath" and a golf course and a park now

Now why would you need a hunting license in England in 1823? And by the way 2 guineas in 1785 was a lot of money - no wonder hunting became an upper class sport.

1825 - Reilly member of the London Proof House

- The book posted above provided a copper plate on members of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers (the London Proof House). The author provides the following caution:
https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.278485/2015.278485.A-History_djvu.txt

The Worshipful Company of Gunmakers was, and still is, one of the minor City Livery Companies or Guilds, but there were many makers who were simply under the legal obligation to have their weapons proved but who were not members of the Company. It is doubtful if at any time in its history the Company has represented more than a proportion of the London makers. Fairly full records of the apprenticeship and admission of gunsmiths exist but are not available for the study of the historian. Many of the City Companies have thrown open their records to research students, but in the case of this Company permission has not yet been given.

The book mentions that J.C. Reilly was a member as of 1825. If this can be confirmed it is as good a date as any as to when he became a “gun maker.”

1825-40 - Reilly, Joseph Chas. London
1832 - Reilly & Co. London
1850 - Reilly, Edward M. London
Reilly, 1882, London. Breakdown action revolvers of -450 calibre.

1829 - Reilly still a Jeweler and selling guns

-- An advertisement still identified J.C. Reilly as a “silverplate worker” and “gun maker.” (I've misplaced this ad...it will be posed asap).

Not the ad I'm looking for but 14 Jun 1829, Bell's sporting Life gun ad:

1830 - Reilly making his own guns

18 July 1830, "Bell's Life." Reilly making his own guns:

1831 - Reilly a Silversmith and a Jeweler

04 Jan 1831 "Morning Chronicle" - robber at Reilly - Jewelry taken...still a Jeweler or Silversmith, or both

1833 - Reilly, Gun Maker

Reilly identifies solely as "Gun Maker"; 07 Jul 1833, "Bell's Life"

===========================================================================================
1840 - JC Reilly becomes "Reilly": Edward Michael becomes a full partner?

As mentioned previously between the end of June 1840 and end of Aug 1840 the company's name in advertisements changed from JC Reilly or Joseph Charles Reilly to just "Reilly." Believe that this marks the entry of then 23 year old Edward Michael as a full partner in the firm:

.........21 Jun 1840, "Bell's Life"

........22 Aug 1840, "Evening Standard". (the reference to the August edition of "Sporting Magazine" refers to the Reilly poem -see below).

Last edited by Argo44; 10/11/18 04:19 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1841 - The Poetry of a Reilly

- The poem written about Reilly has often been cited. Here it is with a bit of humor - what is it with the English at this time and their love of doggerill?

1844 - Reilly - military inventor and contract supplicant

- Many writers have commented that the Reilly’s were not innovators and never really took out gun patents. Many have commented that the only patent was on an 1969 explosive bullet. (posted below). Well, JC Reilly sure tried to hawk a mortar and some mortar bombs in 1844. It is indicative of their business sense - they wanted to sell stuff…guns but explosives too and especially to the military for a big military contract:
https://books.google.td/books?id=YBZdAAA...ars&f=false

1857 - JC Reilly Swan Song -1 (see p. 20)

— Vini Vidi Vici with skull; You’ll notice the two very last surviving guns in the “7000 series” which I believe were numbers reserved for J.C. Reilly the father, 8025 and 8052, both have the inscription “Vini Vidi Vici” with a skull engraved on them. It’s a good guess that these were part of the last 50 guns he ever built and that these were his swan song: “I came, I saw, I conquered” and dust to dust, ashes to ashes. At least it makes a good (and logical) ending. (He retired totally at the end of 1858 and moved to his country house where he died in 1863; the next year the company was named E.M Reilly). (and Terry Buffum, if you have a picture of that inscription and of the rifle, we’d much like to see it for history’s sake. Thanks).

..8025 - Reilly, New Oxford St. London; 13 bore; Rifle; Percussion hammer gun, Muzzle loader (Buffum). (marked Veni, Vidi, Vici)
..8052 - Reilly, New Oxford St., London. 20 bore. Rifle. Percussion hammer gun, muzzle loader. (marked Veni, Vidi, Vici). (8052 pictured below)

1855-58 - Reilly and Prince etc. - Military Contract attempts

- Prince Patent: As has been widely reported in 1855 the Prince Patent breech-loader was widely hailed as the finest of its kind. Reilly began making Prince patent guns almost immediately. In 1859 12 prominent London gunmakers tried to get Ordinance to reopen the question but were rejected (as reported in C. Blair (ed) 1983, pp. 245-6).

It is a testament to the belief in the design that in 1859, four years after it had first been rejected, a group of prominent London gun makers including Manton, Wilkinson, Samuel Nock, Parker Field, and Tatham petitioned the Board of Ordnance to reconsider their decision.
http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/130153944059/historicalfirearms-frederick-princes

I believe Reilly had to have been amongst the 12 gunmakers making the petition. He was with Prince on several other ventures subsequently and there appears to have been some sort of business understanding amongst them and a few others, including J. Blanch. (Prince created a partnership with the Green Bros which was dissolved in 1859; then Reilly got manufacturing rights to the Green Bros breech loader and trialed in in 1864. etc.)

I cannot find the names of all the gunmakers involved but would like to confirm the hunch. Prince has been subject of a few books and articles if anyone cares to research this including the below:
Prince’s Carbines, Gun’s Review, Nov. 1971, R.J. Wilkinson-Latham

SN 10782 - dated 1858 per dating chart

1862 - Reilly at London exposition

- Here is Reilly’s advertisement for the 1862 London Exhibition for which he had meticulously prepared. The praise in Bradshaw’s Alphabetical handbook for Sep 1862 (below) might be for this gold Shotgun meant for India, SN 12532: (per the chart above, SN 12532 was numbered in mid 1862 - this is possible validation of the chart and of the gun as being the one in the 1862 exhibition).

https://books.google.com/books?id=mvkHAA...gun&f=false

Last edited by Argo44; 10/20/18 12:24 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

==================================================================================================
1868 + Reilly as military innovator

— On 23 April 1869 E.M Reilly took out a patent for an explosive bullet. It’s mentioned pretty often to illustrate mostly Reilly’s paucity of gun patents. No one seems to mention his Air Cane treatise which is still being cited today. But no matter - because Reilly didn’t patent a top lever key or something, ergo he “didn’t really make guns.” This silliness aside, here are some tools for the making of those explosive bullets. It actually sounds pretty neat to me, an 1869 16 bore version of an M-79?

==================================================================================================
1868 - post 1886? Reilly Triumphs at Paris and beyond

— Paris Universelle 1867 Medals: These began to be featured on his trade labels about early 1868 when rue Scribe opened. For the most part the medals disappeared from his advertisements and trade labels not long after the fall of the 2nd Empire - 1871-2? However, they did reappear from time to time per below - rare - but there are four examples;. Therefore one cannot date with absolute certainty a case label based only on the presence or absence of the medals. ** Notice that some list "Gun & Rifle Manufacturer" and others just the traditional "Gun Manufacturer."

1870 - Reilly loves France and the Franco-Prussian War

Reilly's affinities for France were well known in UK. He was prosecuted Fall 1870 for trying to send cartridges to his shop in Paris, violating the UK Neutrality. Here is one of several newspaper articles and a letter which ends by imply that Reilly couldn't help himself..he had to do it:

London Daily News 06 October 1870

Pall Mall Gazette, 06 October 1870

1898-1903 - Reilly Presentation Case/Trade labels

— On the Reilly trade label post above, two presentation cases for “EM Reilly, Gun and Rifle Maker, 277 Oxford street” were posted. The departure from “Gun and Rifle Manufacturer” used from 1876 into the 1890’s in Reilly ads (the labels often kept "gun manufacturer though after 1884, not consistently) is so interesting that I suspect these trade labels were used after 1898 after the closure of 16 Oxford Street and up to 1903 when they moved to 295 Oxford Street. Normally I could confirm this suspicion by advertisements. However, It’s strange - I’ve collected at least 500 Reilly advertisements from 1829 to 1898 (and could easily have another 2000). However, Reilly magazine, travel guide, calendar and newspaper advertisements seem to progressively disappear over the 1890’s and I can find none after 1898. Maybe I need to search in some different ways.

Actually this is not a certainty though…sometime in the 1850’s being a “Gun Maker” wasn’t good enough so the whole trade became “Gun Manufacturers” - Reilly changing in 1859. Then the English gun trade suddenly decided that being a “Gun Manufacturer” wasn’t cool enough and so they came up with “Gun & Rifle Manufacturers” about 1876. Then Purdey sort of stuck with “Gun & Rifle Makers”…and everybody kind of flocked back; so maybe it’s just a herd mentality - sort of like Iranian politics - and has nothing to do with the change of address in 1898.

EDIT: Well, the two "how to do-it" labels on the second case sure look like the ones posted below with 295 Oxford Street address...right down to the slanted overwriting on the second label - so I think it can safely be predicted that these two ornamental cases are in fact 1898-1903

1902 - H.H. (Bert) Reilly and the Gunmakers Association

— Here is the notice for the 1902 meeting of the British Gunmakers Association annual meeting. There are some powerful names here: Greener, Blanch, and of the people who didn’t show up H.W. Holland, etc. etc…and H.H. Reilly, EM’s son who apparently ran the business at the age of 16?? (with help from brother? mother?) from the time of EM’s death in 1890. Well, the interesting thing, besides the fact that HH didn’t attend, is the existence of “The Gunmmakers’ Association” at all. I’ve tried to research UK gunmakers associations and when and where they came into existence without much success. But. It’s an interesting topic —- what did they discuss? Who were members? How long did it exist? What organizations were predecessors? The minutes of the meetings have to be somewhere. There’s a lot of history there.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/10/18 10:51 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are a lot of bits and pieces to add which may help a historian, but for now the Case Label post above needs to be expanded:

1903-04 + Reilly trade/case label - the "four medal" label redoux

This Air Cane label was mentioned in the the above post on trade labels:

Here is a closer view of a similar label. It has 277 with a strike out and 295 printed above. Reilly left 277 in 1903, where they'd been for 44 years, because the "building was being renovated" and moved to 295. Don't know whether this label was for all their guns or specialty pieces only. It uses "Gun Manufacturers" (not "Gun & Rifle Manufactures/Makers"):

I've tried to identify the medals on the label.

-- Top left probably is 1876 Philadelphia Centinennal;.

-- Top right likely is 1878 Paris

-- The bottom left will be the 1885 International Inventions Exposition in London;

The bearded guy with the recessive chin should be identifiable - can't find it (It's not Edward VII). (edit: It looks a lot like Franz Joseph, emperor of Austria-Hungary; There was an International Exposition in Vienna in 1873..and the medals look similar. This cannot be confirmed...a close look at a clear picture will settle this. (and unlike Paris, London, Calcutta, Philadelphia there's no record of Reilly at Vienna, though strangely there are late 1800's Reilly's in Slovakia..). Edit: Confirmed: The last set of medals are for Vienna, 1873
https://info71508.wixsite.com/perrinsgunmaker/erik-nikmon

The presence of these medals 1873, 1876, 1878, 1885 on a 1903 label shows how Reilly had declined after the death of EM in 1890. (It also shows he may not have won a medal at the Paris Universelle in 1889). He prepared for these world fairs - he advertised, networked, promoted. The same cannot be said for his sons evidently.

1903-1911 + - Reilly practical instruction label for 295

Here are a couple of "how-to-do-it" labels from a case dating from 295 Oxford Street days (possibly from 1911. (The Reilly's left 295 on June 8, 1912). These labels look so similar to the two (very unclear) labels pasted on the above 277 Oxford Street presentation case (right down to the slanted overprint warnings), that I think they date those two presentation cases to 1898-1903:

And by the way, that number on the label "26.210.11" is giving problems. Is that a tiny "1" in front of the "2"? Is the serial number of this gun 126,210..a 12 bore made in 1911? Hummmm....scratch head..stroke beard (if I had a beard). If so...then H.H. Reilly added a "1" in front of his Serial number chronology before selling the name to Charles Riggs in 1917 (Riggs' catalog trumpeting of the Reilly name for his wares and his use of six digit serial numbers has already been discussed). - And H.H. Reilly seems to have started a whole new number series.....beginning where? 125,000? Per the previous label he's now advertising magazine guns...but what has happened to all the guns he sold during this period 1903-1911? There's nothing out there left to find compared to the 19th Century. Were they all crunched up in the British post WWII gun pogrom? Mystery to be investigated.... (now where is Holmes when we need him?). (edit: Or was he just repairing, updating 26,210, which would have been numbered about 1884?)

Add: Here are the powders, Amberite or Schultze, that Reilly recommended for reloading per the label above:

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 12:25 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

=================================================== 1840-1912========================================
Reilly markets gun stuff

And Reilly did market everything related to guns. Eley cartridges with his name on it have been found in an archeological dig at a French settlement in Canada. Here are reloading tools for the above labels:
http://www.finesportingcollectablesltd.co.uk/tools.htm

1903-1912 - 295 Oxford Street

From the texts of a couple of period pieces, I'm pretty sure Reilly rented the entire building at 502 (16) Oxford Street in 1847 and the building and area behind the building at 315 (277) as well in 1859. In 1890, the year of Edward M.'s death, there was a nasty lawsuit at 277, whereby someone tried to use the fact that they had an easement to close access to the property behind it....i.e., probably Reilly's old shooting gallery.

When EM Reilly & Co. (Run by sons Charles Arthur Farquhar Reilly (b1870) & Herbert Horace (Bert)) was forced to move out of 277 in 1903, they went a few blocks down the street to 295. They were there for 9 years. I think Reilly only numbered about 250 guns in these 9 years...say 30 a year (first extant Reilly with 295 on the rib is 35422; last one I've found is 35678). The census showed that Bert and Charles "gunmakers" lived in the building. Thus if this building existed as is in 1903, then I'd imagine he only had the first couple of floors rented, with the shop on the ground floor and a few boring, engraving machines and lathes in the back - they were still building guns during that period. The current store front area exhibited here:

1912 - Bankruptcy

Here is the final story - not the final one because 5 years after the fall of the House of Reilly, his son sold the name to a small time carney barker named Charles Riggs. (Did this happen in 1917? I don't know - but that's what the "internet" says; But then the "internet" also has a Riggs catalog supposedly dated 1924 that trumpets his new-found Reilly line "From now on our guns will be labeled 'Reilly' " - see Riggs commentary above; so one date 1917 or the other 1924 is wrong). Anyway this will also correct a widely reported mis-fact:

In the history of Reilly on Page one, I posted the following: "In 1912 E M Reilly & Co Ltd was recorded at 13 High Street, Marylebone. The directors of this limited company were H Reilly and "C W Roberts." I've attempted to establish the identity of CW Roberts...no success so far. Welcome additional information."

All this business about Roberts and a shop at Marylebone of course came off the internet - I'm as subject to swollowing mis-information as anyone...it's so easy; just copy what everybody else has written.

Well turns out EM Reilly located at 295 Oxford Street declared bankruptcy on June 8, 1912. G. Watkinson Roberts ("G" for George) was the liquidator; Reilly's son HH was the protagonist. I believe "C.W. Roberts" above to be in fact GW Roberts." This was a prominent law/accounting firm specializing in bankruptcies. Reilly no longer existed after June 8, 1912. I am even now questioning whether Reilly ever had a "gun maker's" shop at 13 High Street, Marylebone. if so it might have been a repair or alteration shop but it also might be the address of one of Robert's subsidiary law offices. In other words it is unlikely that anyone is going to find a Reilly gun with Marylebone on the rib or that address on a Trade label or even in an advertisement (I certainly haven't after two years of looking). I'd be happy to eat my words if anyone can prove this to the contrary.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28618/page/4328/data.pdf

As an aside, Robert's son was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for service on the submarine "Thresher" in the Mediterranean in WWII. His brother was killed in 1941.
http://www.hambo.org/kingscanterbury/view_man.php?id=272

1912-1918 + - 13 High Street, Marlybone

Here is the address today. Certainly a tiny little shop. A small gun repair facility, work benches, some gun racks could have occupied the place and from appearance more likely than a lawyer-accountant's office. But if so, quite a come-down for Reilly.

"The majority of the buildings in the street today date from 1900, since which point the street has been consistently revitalised by the main local landlord, Howard de Walden Estates, which has been credited with turning a "once-shabby area of central London" into an elegant street which carefully manages its "mix of boutiques and small retailers".[5] Property prices in the area have soared in recent years.[6]"

Last edited by Argo44; 09/10/18 10:54 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1890 + Oxford Street

I was looking for period photos of the Reilly buildings in London. I'm sure they're out there somewhere. But here are a few photos of Oxford Street which will illustrated the times they lived and worked in:

1) 1890: There is a 154 on a building on the left and the Princess's Theodora Theater - and though both are gone, the neighboring building windows look to match this modern google photo taken from the current 154 Oxford Street address - see the windows above the "footwear sign";

(And by the way, I remember those type of awnings over the central square in my small town in Florida in the 1950's where I grew up before a/c; And to go downtown, we had to put on long pants. In this era-1890's, if you didn't wear a tie, you were a ditch-digger. No flip flops). --- (and there was an amazing problem of horse dung at the time...so much so some predicted a climate disaster.)

Note: Oxford Street runs pretty much east-west. Awnings are out on the North side of the street (sun at this latitude will be in the south - shadow's are oriented north pretty true north (i.e. around 12 noon)(shadows are short so probably summer time) - so the photo was taken facing east down Oxford Street - i.e. numbers would be declining towards 16 which would be almost at the end of the street on the left.....277 and 295 (and Regents Circus) would be behind the photo. Welcome orientation from the Londoners here:

From google - Summer time (short sleeves); Shadows are long and slanting towards the east - probably about 5:00 PM. 16 Oxford St. would have been across the street from that tall financial business tower in the distance.

Likewise on this view: Again awnings are on the North side of the street. The photo is taken from 358 (see below) facing east. 295 Oxford Street and 277 Oxford Street would lie down the street on the right side - 295 being about three streets down...277 further along: reasoning: There is a slight bend in the road to the right in the photo ; the only possibility I can see from a google map is a fade to the right just after Regent's Circus...Reilly 277 and 295 would have been on the right before the bend. The 2nd empire style turret on the right would be a block before 295. 16 would be out of sight far in the distance. Again, Londoners need to chime in.

Here's an explanation of from where the photo was taken:
358-New Oxford Street 1903
The building on the far left was replaced by a Burton menswear store, which still stands today. All the other buildings on the left side of the street were demolished, probably some time in the late 1920's or early 1930's. The second block on the left went on to house Imhof's record shop, now a Starbucks coffee house - see the next picture in this set. The bank building on the far right remained here up until the early 1960's, when it was demolished to make way for Centre Point.

And here is the old 1903 EH Evans department store which was located at 318 Oxford (though I can't pin down the address...they were busy acquiring a whole city block including 296...near to Reilly's 295 (to which they'd just "removed" from 277) one supposes - though you never know with European addresses):
-- Awnings on the right which would be north side of the street. The photo was taken facing west...295 would be across the street and in the block just behind the viewer; 277 be further behind the viewer. Can any Londoner identify that prominent building on the south side of Oxford Street with the spires? It's long gone now.

Here is that view today though from across the street; House of Fraser is EH Evans. Lots of good looking buildings gone. That Fraser department store front was built in 1910-12. 295 would be one block further on behind the photo.

I guess photographs have a power of reality...and to compare where the Reilly's were in 1860 with their buildings and business...and see that little hole his son wound up in in 1912 is pretty evocative...It's also a lesson in the smear campaign run against Damascus barrels at the time...and maybe the result of an early "Amazon.com" phenomenon...the destruction of the artisan by the steel barrel mass-productionists.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/05/18 08:40 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

================================================================
1898-1903 - 35186 (1901) - gun and case with labels

I continue to collect Reilly SN's and will shortly repost the SN dating chart with an additional 15 numbers on it. - there are no surprises - the chart looks solid at this point. But this gun 35186, with antique case, just sold in UK for Ł120. It's interesting for two reasons. The SN is firmly in the date group 1898 -1903 after Reilly closed 16 Oxford Street but before its move to 295. And its label, identical to the above "carnival labels" with 277 and 295 on them, leads one to believe that this was indeed the Reilly label for post 1898 Reilly guns (if they weren't in presentation cases).

Note the warning and "how to reload" labels in the left side of the case lid. Barrels are steel; engraving next to nonexistent and poorly executed; the name on the receiver poorly engraved. $180. The auction house missed by a mile - that case may not be the original case but it is absolutely contemporary with the gun and probably came with the gun. I'm wondering if the indifferent engraving might be symptomatic of a decline in quality at Reilly during this time? (It is only one gun of course)

I've never mastered reading UK proof marks; Looks there are London proof marks for 1896-1904. ... and Birmingham proof marks post 1954 (re-proof)? Can anyone tell me the date the barrels were proofed? (edit: Lagopus and Larry identified the Birmingham re-proof date as 1972.)

================================================================
http://www.bigwoodauctioneers.com/s/pictorialSale/5270/500/SHOOTING
E.M. REILLY & CO. of 277 Oxford Street, London A BOXLOCK 12 BORE SIDE BY SIDE NON-EJECTOR SHOTGUN, no.35186, with vacant escutcheon, circa 1920s, in earlier original leather case with makers label and early breach loading instructions and two piece ebonised cleaning rod (Shotgun Cert. required)
Ł120

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 09:21 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Photobucket held all photos on this line and every other one for ransom about a year ago; then postimages.org went belly up and started deleting photos. With Dave's help in unlocking the posts, the original photos pretty much were all reposted here...then photo bucket, decided to unlock my account and magically stolen photos reappeared everywhere. Is this that "rapture" thingy I've been hearing about?

I still don't trust either site and especially photobuccket. As a test, can other posters now see the photos on this line or is this fixed just for my benefit?
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...2986#Post452986

Sidelock
Sidelock

Photos are visible

HWK
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here ae my estimates of the dates of Reilly SN's guns. There are anomalies:

1). I chose 1825 as a start date and gun SN "1". Both assumptions are not proven. Allegedly Reilly was a member of the London Proof House in 1825, the reason for choosing this date. The earliest gun SN found is 169. Thus the reasoning.

2) I estimated the number of SN'd guns produced between marker dates and tried to make increases logical. That's also is not hard and fast data but subjective reasoning. For instance after the 1855 Paris Universelle, he was "overdone by orders" but I've only shown an increase in gun production of about 20.

3). I had a problem in the 1859-67 era, where, if we were to accept 13333 as having been made in early 1862 it would have meant he produced 600 guns from 1859-62, but 360 62-67, so I used the average for the whole period.

4) I assumed the decline of Reilly was pretty sharp beginning in the mid 1890's - it of course could have been later but without analysis of proof marks from a number of guns SN's 32000-35000 is impossible to say objectively; the marking of this decline is therefore subjective based on lack of ads and closing of 16 Oxford St. in 1898. Reilly targeted a specific sector of the market for his bespoke serial numbered guns - low price, quality hand-made wares, rapidly delivered; as the factories went towards mass production and steel barrels, and you could walk into a sporting gun shop and buy factory made guns off the rack, his business model just couldn't hold up.

The reasoning and research behind these numbers and a chart of history, names on gun ribs, case/trade labels, etc. will be a separate post below.

This chart of course cannot be definitive; but enough checks have come in to show that it will get a Reilly owner close to the date his gun was Serial Numbered.
EDIT: Chart has been superseded by new data...see page 17.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/11/18 04:50 PM.

Page 15 of 97 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 96 97

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.