May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, Bret Adams, earlyriser, Mike Harrell, MattH, 1 invisible), 214 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,351
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a Birmy boxlock with a big name on the side. To me, high condition is decent, 80-90% not a mint condition gun. I would not pay more than 4K for a box lock with a name on the side when I could get the same gun with a lesser name on it for half or two thirds the price. People need to stop buying the name on the gun instead of buying the gun for what it is.

Here is a perfect example. In the 1970s Ford sold the Pinto runabout for about 3k new. They also made the same car and put the name Bobcat on it for Mercury and priced it 500-600 more for the same car. Im not buying a Pinto dressed up as a Bobcat for the extra money. A Birmy gun is a Birmy gun. If you put H&H on it but know it was made in Birmy are you willing to pay twice what that gun would sell for if it had Clyde on the side of it? Im not. So yeah, its a 4K gun to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck finding one at that price.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

4K buys a lot of British boxlock these days. With that kind of budget you can shop around some. Hard to see the value in sleeving anything but a small bore boxlock or a good sidelock in this market. I have nothing against sleeved guns as shooters but can not see spending big bucks on one.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

4k won't buy a sleeved gun BV1 gun

for instance
http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is another, not even BV1

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12878

I think we are conflating what we, individually would do, versus what the market value is - and none of us dictate market value.

On another thread, I said I wouldn't be interested in any gun with a significant butt extension except as a candidate for restocking. So my value for these is quite low, but clearly the market value is quite a bit higher.

LeFusil might even pay me to not post pictures of my Merkel because he finds them so ugly, and this is now part of my financing plan to replace my Merkel with a nice British gun that might be sleeved, but won't have an extended stock. smile

Send me a Benjamin, LeFusil and I'll take the photo down smile smile

_________

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

BV1 sidelock or boxlock? A whole bunch of choices out there. I agree w/ KY Jon, buy the gun not the name. You can find a ripper of a boxlock with that budget. A board member just bought what appears to be an excellent condition, used but no abuse, BV3 sidelock for under 1500$ in the UK. personally I would take the provincial maker sidelock over a used up boxlock with a London name. One more thing to consider is how long some of these guns sit and do not sell. You are seeing asking prices not sale prices published.

Last edited by SKB; 04/06/18 09:19 AM.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Again the name means nothing to me. Value the gun. Value the quality. Value the condition. Screw two inches of engraving on the side when you know it is just letters put on a Pinto by the engraver. This is a solid basic Birmy gun with a little upgrade just like the Bobcat had better hubcaps and the name Bobcat on it instead of Pinto. Its a solid gun but nothing out of the ordinary. If you saw this same gun with Clyde engraved on the side would you be this interested in it? If you were the asking price would be 20-30-40% less. They probably order it for a customer at his request or perhaps they ordered 50 of them for resale. Not everyone can afford a best side lock. Still it is what it is, a Birmy box lock with better engraving and a name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a local (and very reputable) dealer here in the UK, original 12 bore boxlock ejectors in 'good condition' and original barrels are listed as between (GBP) 1750 and 3800. There are 8 listed between GBP 2000 and 3000. Most are 28" barrels. These would come with a full warranty and gunsmith backup. Being UK, they (most anyway) would have 2 1/2" chambers. A couple are cased.

A sound English non ejector can be had for GBP 250 from the same dealer.

These are fairly typical prices from reputable dealers for good Birmingham boxlock ejectors.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 04/06/18 10:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are proving my point, over and over.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bushveld
"Sleeving" is when a shotgun has its old barrels cut away and new barrels placed into the monobloc that remains after the old barrels were cut away

"Resleeving" is when a set of shotgun barrels that were previously sleeved (as above) are sleeved for the second time (or third time and so forth) in the method described.

While WE are getting so technical cutting off a set of barrels does NOT leave a Mono-Block, unless the gun was originally built with one. By Definition a mono-block is when the breech section is made from ONE (Mono) solid piece. Cutting off the barrels does not turn a chopper lump, dovetail or any other type of breech assembly into a mono-block, the Brazing seams are still there.

If you want to "Correct" someone else's terminology be certain you have your own Ducks in a Row.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.