May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 344 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

After looking around the net at various well known and not so well known dealers, that gun at $1000, sleeved for $3500, cannot be beat. You guys may not buy it, and I certainly couldn't, but the value is definitely there relative to what else is available. $4500 Woodward Boxlocks and similar are nowhere to be seen. Comparable guns are at least 50% more. And up.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
canvas, don't know many people that own what Rocketman calls BV1 guns, but those that do know exactly what they are talking about and they know guns very, very well. I don't knock folks as being ignorant because their guns are high grade. Ever. 'cuz they ain't.

This whole thread is very disingenuous.

Who’s knocking anyone?

I can think of 4 people right off who have a BV1 gun. And none of them know anything about them except they are the “best”. Two are inherited, two have been bought.

It’s like people who buy 500 series Benz’s. Some know the detail of why the cars are so good but most just want to know they have the “best” car and have the money to do that. My ex drives a Maserati. She knows nothing about cars but she sure likes the reaction the car engenders. Nothing wrong with that. That is part of the value of brand names.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Their estimate is approx. $700-$1000 American. Not sure about the 20% VAT since we do not pay it however the shipping is probably a lot more so Rocketman's chart seems to come pretty close to their estimate. Not sure what the sleeving will cost however you have a choice of barrel length and we all know 32" is doable assuming the handling characteristics are acceptable. Would that make it a bargain in the end?

using the charts the only change is to move it up to CC6 changing its value to $2671. That seems a bit light even though it has sleeved barrels and not replaced barrels.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun actually sold for Ł500 in Mar 2014 Holts ; look at lot 1704. I think Holts only shows the hammer price and the price does not reflect the additional 25% buyer's premium.

Rocketman's spreadsheet provides a current condition pigeon hole for replacement barrels, but not sleeved barrels. Is a properly sleeved gun a big negative?

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

BV is a strange thing.

The late Gough Thomas (real name G.T. Garwood) was guns editor for Shooting Times here in the UK for many years. An engineer by training and trade he had an analytical mind and understood quality well. Later in life he had the opportunity (late 1940s) to have a 'best gun' made for himself. He could afford any maker. He was a very respected and knowledgeable man.

He chose Henry Atkin, the spring opener model. He felt the Beesley patent action was the 'best' action around, and the Henry Atkin gun using it slightly ahead of the Purdey for smoother operation (it uses Southgate ejectors rather than Purdeys Wem/Lawrence). The Southgate type are arguably a little easier and smoother in cocking, giving an easier gun closure - always a little harder in a self opener.

Yet today, an Atkin spring opener though still very well regarded, but doesn't command the price a Purdey would - and by quite a significant margin.

The Purdey name has the 'cachet'.

It is quite likely that it would be economic to sleeve a Purdey, much less so an Atkin, because the monetary value is less - but arguably, the Atkin might have the edge as a gun to actually own and use in the field.

(I must declare an interest as an Atkin owner)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that the gun was made in Birmingham by W&C Scott perhaps, but I've rarely seen a Scott that looked like that! It all goes back to buying the gun and not the name, but I like beautiful guns no matter who made them.
I think it would be more fair to have chosen a maker know for their boxlocks, but I have to admit, that Woodward's a beauty.
Karl

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or, you can create a gun you could not have otherwise. I took an 0-frame 16 Gauge Parker hammer gun with unsafe barrels, sent it to Brad Bachelder and he sleeved 32” barrels to the monobloc and rechambered it to a 20 gauge. Great shooter and I’ve been offered quite a bit more for it than I have in it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some guns just deserve being saved.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seeing where the gun was located and the advertising that it's out of proof, I'd be in the camp hoping someone wanted to work with it. It seems the alternative would be for a proof house to wreck it forever. Too bad the government there wouldn't just pack similar things up and send them to other places in the name of historical and artistic preservation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craigd,

The description doesn't say the gun is out of proof. It just has a thin wall (<20 thou) on the right barrel.

Ken

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.