April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 426 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
Nice presentation picture of your Merkel, nicely composed.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD, the real point is that this is not a true BV1 gun. Its a Birmy gun with a BV1 retailers name on it. Buy the gun, not the name on it. They did not make this, they only retailed it. At best they bought it in the white. They sent it out for engraving like every other maker. Might have finished it or might have done nothing on it at all. Proof marks might tell. So why pay Bobcat prices for that Pinto? Never figured Bobcat bragging rights were that important.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Again the name means nothing to me. Value the gun. Value the quality. Value the condition. Screw two inches of engraving on the side when you know it is just letters put on a Pinto by the engraver. This is a solid basic Birmy gun with a little upgrade just like the Bobcat had better hubcaps and the name Bobcat on it instead of Pinto. Its a solid gun but nothing out of the ordinary. If you saw this same gun with Clyde engraved on the side would you be this interested in it? If you were the asking price would be 20-30-40% less. They probably order it for a customer at his request or perhaps they ordered 50 of them for resale. Not everyone can afford a best side lock. Still it is what it is, a Birmy box lock with better engraving and a name.

This is exactly what Rocketman's charts demonstrate so accurately....the premium people are willing to pay to have the "name" on the gun. As people everywhere are willing to pay extra to have any "brand" name on a product. Not unique to guns.

The problem many here don't seem to understand is that members here represent a tiny portion of the market and one that is substantially better educated than most buyers. We don't "need" the brand name to identify a well made gun. We can use our eyes. Not true for many others who need the stamp of approval a recognized brand name conveys.

I shoot with a couple close friends on occasion. Members of a private high end preserve. Gun room is filled with "brand names". Few of the members can tell you what specifically makes their gun cost what it does, save the makers name.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Originally Posted By: bushveld
"Sleeving" is when a shotgun has its old barrels cut away and new barrels placed into the monobloc that remains after the old barrels were cut away

"Resleeving" is when a set of shotgun barrels that were previously sleeved (as above) are sleeved for the second time (or third time and so forth) in the method described.

While WE are getting so technical cutting off a set of barrels does NOT leave a Mono-Block, unless the gun was originally built with one. By Definition a mono-block is when the breech section is made from ONE (Mono) solid piece. Cutting off the barrels does not turn a chopper lump, dovetail or any other type of breech assembly into a mono-block, the Brazing seams are still there.

If you want to "Correct" someone else's terminology be certain you have your own Ducks in a Row.

Thank you for pointing out my error. "Stubs" is probably the better term for me to have used. Also it probably would have been better if I had used the term tubes lieu of barrels as it is more common term among those of us who have sleeved barrel sets.

Last edited by bushveld; 04/06/18 03:11 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Trousers.....

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

canvas, I think we like to knock folks that can spend that much on a "name" but again, you aren't shooting a just as effective Remington Express, are you?

I was swapping notes with another member recently and he mentioned how extractor guns take a hit for lacking ejectors but he didn't really care one way or the other about ejectors vs extractors. Nor do I. And I have heard the same from almost every shooter of vintage doubles that I've ever met. But we all know that ejector guns bring a substantial premium to the table. Ditto the boxlock vs. side locks.

So we all have things we claim are falsely valued based on our own willingness to pay for them. But, were we to inherit such BV1, sidelock gun, or an ejector gun, I am sure that, if we were honest, we would all expect to be paid those premium values if we sold it.

I'll still say that the gun in question, well sleeved, will easily sell for more than it would cost to buy it and do the work.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, perhaps you misunderstand me. Im not knocking anyone. Just pointing out human behaviour.

Both in the propensity of those who can afford to pay for the name rather than spend the time learning and for those like us, motivated to learn what makes a gun good and to look for the gems that give us the quality while saving the brand name premium.

That said when its time to sell, of course we want to get the market price. Just as when we are buying we want to undercut the market price.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

canvas, don't know many people that own what Rocketman calls BV1 guns, but those that do know exactly what they are talking about and they know guns very, very well. I don't knock folks as being ignorant because their guns are high grade. Ever. 'cuz they ain't.

This whole thread is very disingenuous.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirk Merrington's price for sleeving is $1900 plus tubes (http://www.merringtongun.com). Of course sleeving a gun in the states will take it out of proof unless you pay another expense for sending back to England. Dig Haddoke estimates 1500-3000 for sleeving in England (https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/thin-barrels/).

Although the Woodward may have been built by a Birmingham maker, there will be some additional brand value for the Woodward name. An H&H boxlock made by Webley and Scott will bring a premium over the same boxlock being sold by Webley and Scott. I guess people are willing to pay more for the H&H BLE because of some perceived quality control over the standard W&S boxlock.

Rocketman used a BLE for this s example and most people wouldn't spend the money for sleeving a boxlock.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

After looking around the net at various well known and not so well known dealers, that gun at $1000, sleeved for $3500, cannot be beat. You guys may not buy, and I certainly couldn't, but the value is definitely there relative to what else is out there. $4500 Woodward Boxlocks and similar are nowhere to be seen. Comparable guns are at least 50% more. And up.

_________

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.