May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hal M Hare, CJF, earlyriser), 329 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,572
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#510875 04/07/18 01:13 PM
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The recent thread on jug choking reminded me of a question lingering in my mind from a recent Julia's auction catalog entry. Does jug choking produce a "hot center" in a pattern and is this desirable?. The entry in question is from the description of King Alphonso's hammer pigeon gun:

"Bore diameter: left -.730, right – .731. Bore restrictions: left – .031 with .001 recess (full), right – .033 with .001 recess (full); (This is standard Purdey boring for pigeon guns. Recess giving superb tight patterns with a hot center). (Factory records indicate “both fullest choke”.) "

Owen
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that you will find that 'hot centers' are the norm when using quality shot and the harder the shot and the better its sphericity the more that holds true, regardless of choke/constriction. It has been an observed phenomena since the 1880's in trials run at that time when few guns were choke bored.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All chokes produce patterns with hot centers. I've seen many hundreds of patterns in my life, and the only gun I ever saw that shot a pattern that didn't have a hot center shot donut patterns every shot, a B2000. That said, some are hotter than others.

By the way, the choke in that B2000 was very slightly honed and it went to throwing normal patterns ................. with a hot center.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 04/07/18 09:50 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that patterns are near normally distributed --- from muzzle to the ground. The concept of hot centers is a misunderstanding of the distribution. The more the choke effect the greater distance for given pattern diameter. That is to say at distance X aIC pattern is the same as a full at distance Y.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I, and others, say hot core we mean that the density of the shot distribution increases from the edge of the pattern toward the center. You can break a clay bird, showing you the belly, every time with a .005" choke at 30 yards if you have the bird in the center of the pattern, because of increased density. If it is on the edge of that pattern the probability of a break is the lowest, because of lack of density. As the bird is nearer the center of the pattern the probability of a break increases, to a maximum percentage at dead center. This is because of density .............more at the center, lessening as you move out towards the edge. Thus, the colloquialism "hot center".
I do not agree this is a misunderstanding ..............it is an observation of hundreds of patterns and tens of thousands of breaks. Center of pattern = smoke, fringe of pattern = chip.

I would like to think we mean the same thing, Don, but I'm saying it in layman's words and you in scientific terminology. "Normal distribution" for a typical shotgun pattern is for it to possess a distribution that has higher density as you move from the edge towards the center.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 04/08/18 07:04 AM.

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is very helpful. If anyone has comments on the combination of full choke and .001 recess choke specified by the King I would love to hear them, especially as to how the combo is more successful at producing a hot center.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I do think you and I have a common understanding of patterns and how they work. I use "normal" in the statistical meaning of the specific "bell curve" distribution. My issue with "hot core" is that shooters seem to me to try to divide patterns into "hot core" and "fringe" and lose the idea of a relatively smooth change in pellets per square inch from center to edge. Say 5 pellets per square inch in the center, 2 pellets/sq inch half way out to the edge, and less than 1 pellet at the edge.
DDA

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For an interesting discussion of chokes, especially Purdey chokes, check the gunsmithing by Bill Nittler video. I had it in the past but have since lost it. Quite interesting.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
That is very helpful. If anyone has comments on the combination of full choke and .001 recess choke specified by the King I would love to hear them, especially as to how the combo is more successful at producing a hot center.

I seriously doubt that it has any effect per se. Choke effect is a relatively smooth transition by thousandth of an inch from cyl (0.000 constriction) to full (about 0.040). We generally use about 0.005" as constriction increments as steps.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

We're on the same page, Don. Just different terminology.

SRH

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.