March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, LeFusil, Ken Nelson, battle, 2 invisible), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 74 of 81 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great bird for sure!

I love the dog pic. That would be a whopper of a retrieve.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats to everyone posting birds. We have more turkey hunters on the board than I realized. I got this one yesterday in GA:

uploading pictures

And then I finished my GA limit this morning with this one:

Both of these were shot with TSS#9. This is my tenth season to use the tungsten shot. I load my own and it costs around $4.50 per shell.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, congrats on a fine hunt and bird.
Coosa, the birds are glad you left Ga. Nice going. We are amateurs compared with you. smile Good mop on the bottom photo's bird, and actually, both birds. Depending on gauge, my handloads in the .410 run about $1.90-$2.50 for the shot (depending on when the shot was bought, I stockpile it), whatever a primer and wad costs, and I can load over 400 rounds with a pound of powder. Double the costs for the shot in my favorite 20 gauge load, cost of primer, wad, and 250 rounds out of a pound of powder. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a nice mop, coosa. You go.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Finally home after work woohoo! I really wanted to take the time to tell the story of today's hunt. First off I have only ever been asked twice before to go hunting with anyone on their land for their birds for my own harvest only three times. All by the same two friends. One of them being This hunt. I was taken to probably the most gorgeous hardwood bottom I have ever seen. Big swooping ridge 200 yards in the front, growth all around, ridge turns into a half bowl from my front all the way around the right side to my left until it runs into a creek. Doesn't matter if I hear or see a bird or not. Just wow! The grey light starts to appear and the woods come to life. We all know this and it's the first shot of adrenaline for us. I hit my call once and you can barely hear the turkey answer. A few minutes later again and two answer. The sun comes out and my hens sound off only to say hi and keep going. My toms sound as if the are on the sandy dirt road we road in on so I decide to take a nap. Thirty minutes later it's 8am. Wow! I figured I would hit my high pitched raspy boss hen glass one time before I gave up. Gobblegobblegobblegobblegobble! 3 big toms were now 100 yards away. It was amazing! They slipped behind some thick stuff and kept on. Only one would blow up to spit and drum. All 3 gobbling like mad making the forest shake. I propped the old Ithaca flues up on one knee and had my glass pot call one the other. One more stroke of my striker and they all hammered and can in beards slapping the ground. The first one came in from the thick at 25 yards but his buddy was close behind. The third was just happy to be there. Finally the leader flexed his feather in full strut and I let him have it. He flipped over backwards and was done! The other two tried to run but I cut at them a few times and they ran right back in. I was blown away. I kept fooling with them and seeing what they would google to and what they would cluck to when George showed up to pick me up. He whistled and I whistled back. He came in quietly and I showed him the birds still out front. They still clucked and put on a big show for us both staying between 50 and 100 yards. I hit the call a few times, they responded and we both giggled a lot at these wonderful birds that were now newly in charge and had no clue how to act. I don't believe it couldn't have gotten any better and the only advice I can give is that iif George tells you to go X many yards this way, X many yards this way and set up you do it. Night night folks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like turkey hunting as it should be, glad you had such a good time!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

67g,
that sounds like a great time. I think I can imagine what you describe. You have a mighty fine friend to set you up in a place like that.

I'm hoping to experience something like it next week over Squaw Creek on a similar morning.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story!

Sidelock
Sidelock

67, I expected to see you holding a nice 16 ga hammer gun.

Mike C
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saving that for the last bird. I wont let ya down Mike!

Page 74 of 81 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.