March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Having our weekly debate on Trapshooters.com regarding eye dominance, where we all (me included) get to repeat that same (mostly wrong) stuff over and over
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/what-the-heck-can-your-eye-dominance-change.267047/

I was struck that here, a sight [sic] wink devoted to double guns and (mostly?) wing shooting, we never discuss eye dominance issues.

This is one of the better posts regarding the science of seeing targets
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/brain-will-use-the-clearer-eye.732609/page-3
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/brain-will-use-the-clearer-eye.732609/page-4

And a thread with some interesting links that some here might enjoy reading
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/shooting-and-golf-sports-vision.738209/

Anybody still using one of these to help with gun fitting and dominant eye alignment? smile

or Gilbert's Two-Eyed Sight for cross shooting?

Anyone else using a dot on their shooting glasses? My dominance shifted inexplicable, and with incredible frustration, about 3 years ago. This works for me.

or tape like Kim Rhode?

one of these

Sidelock
Sidelock

By just chance, I had my copy of 'An Insight to Sports' by Martin out, that was mentioned in one of your links. I've had it for at least twenty-five years, probably near thirty. It's very helpful for understanding and improving what the old eyes are doing during wing shooting, and can be had for a very modest price. A true reference piece for me. Nice topic Doc Drew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because it seems my dominance will change on a whim I have greatly improve my shooting closing my left eye at gun mount. The only drawback is forgetting to close it during the excitement of a real bird flush, or just closing both. ymmv

Sidelock
Sidelock

My dominance will shift at times and I can't explain why; maybe fatigue. My answer is chap stick in the center of the left lens. I can wash it off after the shoot as I don't have dedicated shooting glasses.
My shooting glasses were stolen when someone liberated my shell bag..from the back seat of my buddies truck in his garage.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Due to a major flinching issue I learned how to shoot left handed. Not that big of a deal as I am ambidextrous. Fully capable of missing with either hand. But learning how to shoot without cross dominate eye shooting was a bit of a problem. A slight squint would distort the non shooting eye enough that the left eye took over completely. It was harder to go back shooting right handed when major left shoulder injury made that the only solution to keep shooting. The flinch was almost completely gone by then right handed. I did have a left eye dominant issue but squinting the left eye did the trick on most birds. When I forgot on the Skeet field I found on many birds I just needed the normal amount of lead on the back side or on half of the stations I could just shoot right at the bird. Unless you are trying to be an All American shooter you can adjust your shooting style to compensate for a lot of physical short comings. Ive seen extra parrell ribs added to allow left eye sighting when shooting right handed.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are crossover stocks a solution for cross dominance?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wouldn't think so. They were originally devised to compensate for the loss of vision in the right eye if a right handed shooter, and have been around a long time

Heinrich Ebert, Wien/Vienna, c. 1820-1837

"The Breech-loader and How To Use It" 1892 by William Wellington Greener

More recent devices

Carey Sidesighter

I found this on an English website, but no name or maker; possibly home made. Any of our British correspondents aware of the maker?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A not very good image from an early 1930s FN ad - "The Superposed Non-Crossfire Ventilated Rib is sloped downward to the eye for some inches, so the eye picks up the sight line and follows it to the front bead...an infallible cure for cross-firing."

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Drew. That was also my understanding but I recall seeing reference to using them for cross dominance - perhaps from Eightbore?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There was a thread some time ago about cross-over stocks. I believe Bill used/uses a Carey device.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.