March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
CB,

How does the gun balance with the 25" barrels? I would think Purdey would make sure the gun had balance and good dynamics. Also, what is the weight of the gun?

Thanks,
Ken

I haven't shot it yet. Feels very lively with the weight centred between the hands. A bit weird for me as all the guns I shoot are between 28' and 30".

The weight is 6 pounds 1.7 ounces.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/06/18 07:24 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why no pics of the muzzles if that was your original question?
Or the end of the rib?
No choke measurements either?

I pretty much doubt anyone lopped off the barrels on a best grade Purdey. FWIW

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Why no pics of the muzzles if that was your original question?
Or the end of the rib?
No choke measurements either?

I pretty much doubt anyone lopped off the barrels on a best grade Purdey. FWIW

Yes there are people who would do exactly that. I have a 16ga Purdey someone cut off from 30 to 26 inches leaving no choke. Cannot say why they did it, but it did give me the chance to buy it cheap as a project gun into which I added briley thin wall tubes, a light microcell pad to replace a heavy solid rubber pad (to rebalance), a wood refinish, resulting in a good shootable hunter, but not collector gun.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Email Purdey, they will answer the question on original barrel length.

If it is cut off it may still be shootable, but that will depend on balance.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Its Sunday. I emailed Purdey earlier as I said. I am positive they have not been cut. I expect Ill hear back tomorrow.

As for cutting barrels of fine guns, I was examining a Lindner Daly Diamond Grade yesterday that had the barrels cut to 22 inches. Even remounted the ivory bead. Beautiful gun absolutely ruined.

Edit: Oops. I wrote out a post thanking all for advice and saying I would be emailing Purdey as per suggestions. Just noticed its not there. Dont know what happened except Im turning 60 shortly.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/06/18 08:18 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just looking at the photos posted, I think that the gun is almost completely original and not cut. It is a very good example of Robert Churchill's ideal. I would be very tempted to buy and shoot this gun.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be interesting to know the history of these guns. What was the purpose the guy had a pair of 25" guns made. What was he planning to use them for?
Also interesting that Purdey did not opt for the traditional Churchill rib.
Anyway I have been reading lately that short barreled guns are a bargain now and should be considered. For most shooting I do now (clays ) the 25" barrels would not be an issue

Last edited by PALUNC; 05/07/18 03:04 PM.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
It would be interesting to know the history of these guns. What was the purpose the guy had a pair of 25" guns made. What was he planning to use them for?
Also interesting that Purdey did not opt for the traditional Churchill rib.

While we can't know exactly what was in his mind, the gentleman who ordered these guns got them for he and his wife to use around their cottage on Georgian Bay, which is a large part of Lake Huron. The most common quarry in that area is undoubtedly ruffed grouse. While I'm checking with a crappy Galazan choke tool, rather than a proper bore gauge, the chokes seem to be full and improved cylinder. The full not so good for ruffies but the IC is about perfect.

His gun was the number 1 gun and his wife used the number 2 gun. When she died, he sold the number 2 gun. Could not bear to have it around any more. This happened decades ago.

He was a very wealthy gentleman for whom the cost of things was not as important as being able to have and use the things he wanted to have. The person I'm dealing with is the grandson, someone I have known for 45 years. My brother dated his older sister decades ago and before that, my uncle, who would now be 101 were he still alive, nearly married his mother. The families have known each other for a while. But the guns have been out of sight for a long time. None of the later generations shoot or hunt.

No word back from Purdey.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/07/18 03:39 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a great gun. You will be lucky to own the Purdey especially since you knew the man and the family.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

CB,

Don't expect an immediate response to an email from Purdey. If you don't hear from them by next Mon, then you may need to call. The 25" are unique, but they unfortunately are a detriment to the price in today's long barrel length fad.

Ken

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.