May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (fullandfuller), 795 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot right handed, and I'm sure that I'm right eyed dominant. I do however use a frosted dot that is sold for shooting, and blink momentarally when hunting just in case my dominance should change occasionally. Thankfully my vision is still reasonably good.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, you must have started this thread to arouse me from my current torpor!! As an ex eye doc (and looong time shooter / hunter) I find all these vision threads, articles, advice etc, etc to be rather interesting or at least entertaining. Especially since I was blinded in my very dominant / shooting eye nearly ten years ago.

P.S. How is the wonder dog Dirk these days? I will email you to catch up on things. Your hunting opportunities have expanded greatly since I moved...

Sidelock
Sidelock

A machinist friend of mine made me up a short ribs sighting system like the Carey one to use. His idea was that I could shoot left handed and use my dominate right eye. I found having two ribs and two sight was too busy for me. I kept looking at both sights and ribs at the same time. Had I only one good eye it might have been the perfect solution to shooting left handed using my right eye sight with. I have used several sight blinders over the years to make cross sighting impossible. Some worked well and many were just junk to throw away.

What I find interesting are the central vision stocks you see at auction sometimes. Be fun to shoot with one for a while.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel for you guys that have eye dominance issues. I have never had a dominance shift, that I am aware of. It might be cool to have it once, and recognize it. Then, when I am having a bad day I could blame it on eye dominance shifting.

I believe that it is real, so please don't think I am poking fun at you. It must be very frustrating.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am cross-eyed dominant. I don't know how but I pick things up and automatically know which eye I should be using. A camera left eye, gun right eye, reading well that's an interesting thing. About 10 years ago my eyes started to deteriorate like all of us over 50. To compensate I just used a contact in my left eye for distance vision. My right eye for close up reading, etc with no correction. I became mono-vision. When I hunted I had a special contact for my right eye so it would start focus at the front bead and reach out about 40 yards. With big game I use 15/20 in each eye and adjust my scopes according. Now my right eye had deteriorated to the point I need a special contact for reading. The problem I'm having is the focal point from reading to using a computer screen is different and I haven't got the right contact yet.

My point in all of this is that I have trained my brain to accept different ways of seeing with each eye and I think if I can do it many of you should also be able to do it and train your brain to use the eye you want to use for the specific purpose.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
I am cross-eyed dominant. I don't know how but I pick things up and automatically know which eye I should be using. A camera left eye, gun right eye, reading well that's an interesting thing. About 10 years ago my eyes started to deteriorate like all of us over 50. To compensate I just used a contact in my left eye for distance vision. My right eye for close up reading, etc with no correction. I became mono-vision. When I hunted I had a special contact for my right eye so it would start focus at the front bead and reach out about 40 yards. With big game I use 15/20 in each eye and adjust my scopes according. Now my right eye had deteriorated to the point I need a special contact for reading. The problem I'm having is the focal point from reading to using a computer screen is different and I haven't got the right contact yet.

My point in all of this is that I have trained my brain to accept different ways of seeing with each eye and I think if I can do it many of you should also be able to do it and train your brain to use the eye you want to use for the specific purpose.

Interesting post, and interesting thread. I've had a lot of eye issues the past 25 years, starting with presbyopia, then astigmatism, cataracts, and then the artificial lens scarred over. I can't shoot iron sights on anything. If I get glasses to focus on the front bead, the rear will be a blur, and the target will really be a blur.

But I've never had dominance issues, and thankful for that. I think it's due to the fact that my left eye is weak and lazy - it only opens about 75% as wide as the right one. I have a picture of my great, great grandfather, who died decades before I was born, and he had the same lazy left eye. I had never thought of it as being a good thing before reading this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everything I do in life I do as a right hander. I am not cross eye dominant but so far as I can tell trying all the simple dominance tests I have ever seen I simply do not have a strong dominant eye, they seem to be for the most part about equal. This does make it a bit difficult to shoot with both eyes open as I am never quite sure which eye is going to take over at any given time.

Even in my younger days when I still had excellent eyesight I was never good with open sights on a rifle, I could do well with a proper peep, just couldn't manage those open ones. Now I use a scope exclusively for rifle shooting.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a southpaw and shoot accordingly, but...I most-likely started out right-eye dominant. Made for some fairly crappy shooting situations in my youth. Over time, I seem to have become cross-dominant. I do know that if I shoot a SXS, the left eye becomes the dominant one (something to do with that broad plain of the barrels?). If I happen to pick up an O/U then I seem to get some confusion with my right eye. I have learned to ignore that confusion for the most part, and single-tube weapons aren't a problem. It appears that my boy has exactly the opposite situation. I'm starting him as a lefty to (hopefully) avoid the problems I've experienced.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've added several links on the trapshooters.com thread - strobe (!) glasses, Quiet Eye (which I'd forgotten about) and there are now several apps for clay target shooting
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clay-shooting-eye-gym/id596686718?mt=8

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm right handed with a dominant left eye. I shoot long guns from the left shoulder and handguns with my right hand using my left eye, all I do with handguns is tilt my head to the right. I've never really grasped why so many people go to such lengths to avoid shooting this way

Last edited by Chantry; 05/14/18 10:36 AM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.