March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I'm not the owner yet and don't know if I will be in the future. It's in my care because they didn't know who else to turn to to help them sort out about a dozen guns. And once I got them all, it's clear they have been in the hands of people who had no idea what they were doing, including the gunsmiths. There is a Greener, blued from stem to stern, that was buffed so badly, I can barely read the trigger tang serial number. I have been most relieved to find no lasting damage done to the Purdey. All that is amiss is the finish on the wood is starting to be a bit rough.

The longer the Purdey is with me, just 3 days now, the less appeal it has for me. Clearly a finely made gun but I likely would never be happy with those barrels. However, I will be shooting it a bit over the next month and perhaps that will change my feelings about it.

If and when I hear back from Purdey, I will post the response.

I appreciate all who weighed in. Thanks.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

First let me say I am a fan of 30" barrels but have a couple friends, one of whom is an engineer and extremely particular about balance and moi. He examined another friends 25" barreled 20 bore Purdey and measured moi. He described the gun as dynamic, not whippy at al and a delight to shoot. Don't judge it until you have had a chance to shoot it

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite barrel length has for many years now been 28". I have shot with barrels from 26" to 32". On none of these did I have any problems which I could relate to barrel length. My general goal is to "Shoot" the birds not Swat them out of the air nor do I do much pole vaulting while hunting.

While barrel length "FADS" don't change as quickly as Skirt lengths they do change. I would highly suspect that a persons build has a lot to do with this. I am only about 5' 8˝" so the shorter barrels suit me fine, if you measure 6' 6" maybe they won't suit so well.

For most field shooting I prefer nothing longer than 28", for a duck gun then 30" is fine, although nearly all the ducks I have killed has been with a 26" barreled 12 gauge @ 7˝lbs. The 32" ones I shot were both 10 gauges weighing in at 10lb or +.

That 7˝lb 12 gauge is choked ,012" R & .024 L. By varying the load it has killed woodcock, quail, rabbit, dove , duck, a few squirrels (I mostly use .22 LR SV for these) & a few turkey. The short barrels were never a handicap.

Like the old Owl I didn't really care what the trap & skeet shooters liked, I was always a hunter, never liked the taste of Clay. That 25"er out to be a dandy in Grouse & Woodcock country.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's impossible to evaluate something so special and unique from pictures alone it must be held and examined in person. If brace of guns was for single "rough shooter" I would expect choke combo for one 1/-4-1/2 or 1/2-full or something similar, but for two person team 1/4-full makes very good sense taking very good advantage of two triggers and two barrels. One does not come across charmer sold by family members of original owner a lot making it a little more special, but if the "shoe doesn't fit it doesn't fit". How the guns fits and feels to the shooter is also important because bringing down birds is also important.

PS. If you don't buy it I would think it would be worthwhile to find another Canadian buyer. It would be a shame to export something like this out of the country if it can stay there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have several 26" barreled bird guns. I can't tell the difference between shooting 26" barreled guns and those with 28" barrels. I can tell the difference between 26" and 32" guns though.

I think that if you happen to shoot that Purdey well you won't even notice the barrel length.

Don's moment of inertia measurements don't rule out a 25" gun and a 29" gun having identical MOIs.

The clays shooters won't like the 25" barrels. But they won't like the 28" either.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hint: Purdey bbls have tube numbers on them, usually stamped around the forend loop. These numbers are usually 5-digit and consecutive (one for each tube). They also differ from the gun's serial #.

Do the barrels on this Purdey have tube numbers?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

That Purdey dates to a time when short-barreled guns were all the rage in England. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Hint: Purdey bbls have tube numbers on them, usually stamped around the forend loop. These numbers are usually 5-digit and consecutive (one for each tube). They also differ from the gun's serial #.

Do the barrels on this Purdey have tube numbers?

OWD

Yes they do. 60625, just where you suggested they would be.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

James,
Try not to be such a disappointment to the board like the recent Boss incident wink

I shot a loaned 50's vintage short barreled Purdey at a few rounds of trap. We bonded nicely. Give it a go and let us know how you shoot it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LOL Steve, I'm doing my best. I haven't said anything about the disappointing Lindner Daly Diamond Grade I saw the same day as the Purdey.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.