May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, Lloyd3, ClapperZapper, 3 invisible), 602 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,481
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
How much of the ejecta (length of shot and wad) has entered the cone at .0003?
I would say between 1/2" to 1"

Why is the pressure falling at .0005 with ejecta still in the cone?
Because it has traveled approximately about 2" at that point and is exiting the forcing cone. If you remember your fluid dymanics you would know that pressure drops when matter exist a nozzle. It also increases velocity, but good luck measuring that inside of a gun barrel. I wish we could.

What does overcoming inertia vs. friction vs. some degree of constriction on the ejecta upon entering the cone have to do with the pressure curve?
I don't know. My position is that it does to some, as of this point, unknown degree. As far as I can tell, your position is that it has no effect on it.

I said nothing about crimps, or wad seating pressure, or internal ballistics of the shotshell.
All of those things are not exclusive of this topic, nor can they be excluded when discussing peak pressures or time curves. My contention is they all have a factor to play, which sets shotshells apart from the muzzleloader.

Neither one of us KNOW the effect of the ejecta entering the forcing cone, nor can we answer (with numbers) the OP's question. Do I have that correct?

I'm not sure. You seem to be very disagreeable to the idea that it has any effect. I'm simply stating it must have some, which I don't think is a reach.

I know from reading your many posts over the years you seem to have made contacts with experts in this field over the years, and have access to testing equipment most of us do not. This might be an interesting experiment to take on if you are truly curious about it. However, I would agree the outcome of those tests would mostly be academic without much real world demand, i.e. pressure curves in muzzleloading vs breechloading shotguns . I think this one will most likely stay in the realm of theoretical debate, probably for good reason and not be worth the time or money.

Now coming up with experiments to test the effects of different forcing cone shapes/lengths in regards to breech pressures...that might be a different story wink

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

" The Modern Sportsman's Gun and Rifle" by Dr J H Walsh ("Stonehenge"). 1882.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks greenerguy. Hadn't thought about "Stonehenge"

The Modern Sportsman's Gun and Rifle: Including Game and Wildfowl Guns, Sporting and Match Rifles, and Revolvers
John Henry Walsh ("Stonehenge"), Volume 1, 1882
http://books.google.com/books?id=OLwUAAAAYAAJ
Vol. 2
https://books.google.com/books?id=kLwUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah Stonehenge! Read About him for years but never read his book. Thanks for that link Drew, have downloaded it to my computer, just haven't had time to read much of it yet. Will do so soon.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.