March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dukxdog, Ian Forrester, Perry M. Kissam, Roundsworth, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I'm looking at a Charles Daly Lindner Diamond Quality (similar to model 275 but not sure they were called that in 1893) 10 gauge.

It was once a beautiful gun. However there are some key problems that won't be easily addressed. I am in discussions with the owner (not a shotgun guy but very familiar with vintage firearms) and both of us are having a hard time coming up with a sensible number given the current condition. The fact it's a 10 gauge is also complicating things.

Please note, I am not asking whether this is a restoration project that is worth undertaking. I'm simply trying to figure out a fair market price for a gun of this kind of original quality in this kind of current condition. Photos below.

The gun was made in 1893 and sported "Finest Quality Damascus Barrels". No idea what length or chokes because they have been cut to 22". This was done quite a while ago and the new muzzles have been somewhat damaged in the meantime. Not bothering with photos as you can all imagine that crime scene. The gun currently weighs 7 pounds 8 ounces, so my guess with complete barrels is that it would have been close to 8 pounds even.

There is a large chip (missing) from the left cheek. Clearly it had been repaired once before but is now long gone. A little damage to the chequering on the cheeks. Rest of the wood is restorable. Original butt plate is on the gun.

Action is tight and on face. Second trigger is not working. Gun hasn't been apart in years and neither the owner nor I are making a guess as to why not. Ejectors seem fine. Few gouges in the metal work. Engraving is still sharp. Here are some pics. I have more if there is something specific you want to look at. Although none of the cut end of the barrels. Just the markings and top rib.

Easy to think about price if the barrels were whole. There was an interesting thread on the 16 gauge forum about how barrels cut to 24" would affect the value of a M21. your thoughts about pricing would be valued.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

My question to you would be why would you want to buy this anyway?

JOhn Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
My question to you would be why would you want to buy this anyway?

JOhn Boyd

Thanks for responding John, but I tried to be clear. Not looking for a discussion of the wisdom of buying it, simply a price.

I suspect we could all agree we might buy it as a curio for 25 cents and we wouldn't buy it for $10,000. So it has a value somewhere between those two extremes. I'm simply trying to find out if there is a consensus as to what that value is.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

CB,

You are describing a gun with a bad stock (someone may repair the missing piece), barrels that are bad (cut poorly to 22"), and an action with some issues (2nd trigger doesn't work--may just need a cleaning or something got lost with stock piece). It's a 10 gauge with 22" barrels. Other than home defense, maybe slug deer hunting or a turkey with open chokes--what other uses would it have?

The action engraving is nice. What is a suspect Linder 10 gauge action worth?

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 05/21/18 05:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, you could repair the wood for a reasonable amount, but sleeving the barrels is a $3-4K job plus the price of having new ribs made and fitted, and when you're done, you have a sleeved Lindner Diamond Quality Daly, which probably doesn't have half the value of what you've put into it. I wouldn't pay more than about $1500 for it, and then only if I really wanted to restore it to some of its past glory and didn't mind losing money on the deal.

That it's a 10 gauge wouldn't bother me (I own a Hollis hammer gun and a Darne in that gauge), and it could be a wonderful waterfowl gun with sleeved barrels, which would also let you use modern shot.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
CB,

You are describing a gun with a bad stock (someone may repair the missing piece), barrels that are bad (cut poorly to 22"), and an action with some issues (2nd trigger doesn't work--may just need a cleaning or something got lost with stock piece). It's a 10 gauge with 22" barrels. Other than home defense, maybe slug deer hunting or a turkey with open chokes--what other uses would it have?

Ken

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Spot on: what is the intrinsic value of a Lindner - Daly frame, along w/ ejectors, being a piece of high art by Fritz Heimbeck, student of Hugo Kolb, H.A. Lindner's Uncle I believe?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
CB,

Ken

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm closer to 25 cents than $10K. Rem40x has a good number, but maybe $500 unless you can fix the wood and action as your own project.

Ken

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yup.....maybe a grand or so.

I passed up a stunning Pape project gun this weekend. I may regret it but at the same time I am not low on projects.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The gun is worth precisely whatever someone will pay for it.
Mike

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.