April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ithaca1, eeb, Jim H., Jtplumb, buckstix, 1 invisible), 989 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK. I checked the Parts manual that gives instructions for changing the safety from one hand to the other. First off, There is a part number for a right hand and a part number for the left. Same part numbers for all gauges and all years. Second you have to pull the stock, remove the trigger plate (Bottom screw near the wood end of the receiver) drive out the hammer pin, then the trigger pin. Pull out the old safety and slide in the new one being careful to control the detent and spring. REASSEMBLE IN reverse order. You will have to deal with the hammer spring.
Be sure to use the correct screw drivers. I have seen a ton of buggered screws over the years.
Good luck!

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 07/08/18 03:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Did the safeties change at some point during the run of the 37? Any idea on what I should look for to know which safety will work?

Woody, what year was your gun made?

Interestingly enough, this gun came a seller in western NY.

I have several righties so i have something that will work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Not sure but I think changes were made in 1964 so that barrels were interchangeable and that was also when they messed with the safety design. Mine was pre-64 and I swapped safeties with a guy who wanted a righty for his son and I wanted a lefty for one of my sons. Wouldn't fit.

There is a metal tab in the back of the trigger on the older ones which prevents the safety from the newer ones from fitting. Or at least that's what I think I remember...Geo

My older one fit his gun but his safety from the later (press checkered) gun did not fit mine.

post script: Woody, if you need a left handed safety from the newer model, I'll give you the one I have if I can remember how to take it out of the gun.

I will take you up on lefty safety. I have a tendency to push a right safety on with
My trigger finger. Especially if its a longer safety. I dont Like to switch my guns but donwith Ithacas. Dangerous with others using it,Im used to a right hand safety etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Woody402,
You have the king of M-37 repairs and parts right there in Ithaca--Les Hovencamp-Diemond Gunsmithing.
ps In spite of Geo's experience, the design never changed. You have a choice of a right or left hand safety. Independent of gauge OR year.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 07/08/18 09:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love 37s and have had about a dozen. But since I started using doubles about 3 decades ago, pumps have become single shots for me when the situation requires instant muscle memory. I guess I should still shoot one just in the interest of "conservation"....I know the birds would thank me!

You'll enjoy yours, I'm sure. I've always thought them the best designed pumps (I include their Remington ancestor in that). But, my Remington Arms buddies always say: "You've never owned a 31!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Woody402,
You have the king of M-37 repairs and parts right there in Ithaca--Les Hovencamp-Diemond Gunsmithing.
ps In spite of Geo's experience, the design never changed. You have a choice of a right or left hand safety. Independent of gauge OR year.

When I offer gun-smithing advice, you must all remember that I'm about as good at gun-smithing as I am at rocket science. Nevertheless I'll stand by my statement that my older 37 has a tab on the back of the trigger that is not present on the newer ones.

That tab is what prevented my insertion of the lefty safety in place of the righty. I never took anything apart on the guns to do it, just depressed the detente, pulled one safety out and stuck the other in. Worked in the new model didn't in my older gun...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 07/08/18 06:08 PM. Reason: added final par.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love 37's. Took a solid rib 12 ga. Sporting Clay shooting yesterday. It is still choked full and smoked birds with authority, when I did my part that is. I forgot how light they are and was glad I had one ounce loads to use in it. They are as slick pumping as you could ever ask for. Almost working themselves.

Les has fit a couple barrels for me on the older pre-interchangeable guns. He is great on these 37's.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Les can fit the old barrels to the old guns without having to modify with an adapter and re-blue the receiver as does the Ithaca factory at Upper Sandusky. On one of my newer 20 gauges, a 1957, he fitted a barrel from 1942 which he also opened to IC to complement the original modified barrel. The only modification was to the barrel threads and not the receiver as does the new group. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone dealt with this company? It seems I could get into a relatively cheap English stock (uncheckered of course) through them.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Ithaca-Stocks/ithaca-37.htm

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Caleb, why a straight stock? Gil

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.