March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#517951 07/08/18 06:42 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

According to the writings I have of V M Starr, the grand old man of m/l shotgunning, he choked his old original English m/l shotguns, though I cannot find where he actually said he jug choked them. I always assumed that's what he did, because I cannot think of another way he would have choked them himself. He commented that he had an 11 bore Moore that would shoot 80% patterns with duck loads. I have always had a question about how he overcame the problem of swaging the wads as they passed through the choke, then having loose wads in the load.

Does anyone have any other writings of Starr's that would address the actual jug choking, and the wads he used and how he overcame the aforementioned problem?

Thanks much, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, my 60 year ago memory is that he said he jug choked them. I had his little booklet back then but long gone. Gee, where have the years gone!

Go over to American Longrifles and post the question. Surely one of those old toots will have a frayed copy of Starr's. http://www.americanlongrifles.com/

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, Joe. I just went there and registered, and will post the query when I am allowed to do so.

Good idea. SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, there are a lot of very fine and knowledgable folks over there. And some of the best gunmakers in the country. You might also check out the Contemporary Longrifle Association, https://www.longrifle.com

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can read V M Starr's book on line here;
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/starr.html

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I recall, Mr. Wm Brockway used to post on here occasionally, years ago. Sure wish he was still around to ask.

Maybe someone here or there will know.

SRH

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Miller. I have that already, but was hoping for some further things he may have written on jug choking and loads.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the honor of talking with Mr. Starr over the phone many years ago, most of what I remember about the conversation was about hunting and the then new steel shot, I did call to ask about jug choking because he was the master, however that part of the conversation is rather misty.
He was very generous with his time, such a nice guy!

TM

Sidelock
Sidelock

He jug choked them. As I remember he went back 8" to start the choke and continued forward 6". The last 2" in front of the muzzle were left alone. I read his book explaining it and it's what I've always done when jug choking a gun. First it was muzzle loaders in the 70's and now SxS's that use shells. It was a book I got years ago from a county library.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jug choking works well if you do it 5-6” long instead of the 2” I’ve seen tried which does very little to tighten a choke. Not enough bore for the shot to open up so you can squeeze it tight again.

I have had one gun jug choked and had several we could not do it because the barrel walls were too thin. If you have a set of barrels, which are .020’s 4-6” from the muzzle, you don’t have enough metal to work with. One set of barrels looked great from the muzzle end with .030-.035 metal to work with but six inches back they were .022-.026. The bores were straight but the exterior was struck thinner away from the muzzle. I wanted .020 choke added but taking .010 per side away would have left them .012 and .016. Time to measure wall thickness and let that be your guide.

I guess a card or wad will pass through the choke area, jump across the back bored area and fit snuggly down the rest of the bore. On the way out you might get a trivial amount of blow by in the back bored area but it should have little effect on the pattern. Those guns with termite holes along their muzzle, proported to clay target hunters, seem to suffer no ill effects with that gas loss. The Russians bored a lot of their Olympic Skeet guns that way but the fad never caught on here in the US. Tulia chokes was the name as I recall. Two versions, one with a Olympic-wide muzzle type and straight choke type with the intent to keep chokes tight and eliminate all fliers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.