April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (eightbore, Jtplumb, Jimmy W, FlyChamps, skeettx), 1,073 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,136
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Caleb, why a straight stock? Gil

Same here. Shoot it a while as is before changing grip style.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

+ 1

Looks is the only reason to have a straight gripped gun, IMO. No way do most shooters have as good control of a recoiling gun with a straight grip as they would with a pistol, or at least a POW, grip. I accept straight grips on some of my 410s because, it's next to impossible to get some of them otherwise, a little slender gun looks good with a straight grip, and there's next to no recoil to contend with. But, to me, they look funky on a pump gun or a jammamatic. But hey, if you shoot it lights out, that's what counts.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't dealt with that stock company, but, I have bought new wood for an older gun from Ithaca, in Upper Sandusky. They offered to put new wood on my model 17 Remington, which, was tempting. They also produced straight stocks for Ithaca 37s.
I can't speak to "control" differences 'twixt straight and pistol grips, but, my informal bird count over the years shows the very great majority were killed with straight stock guns. Yes, I hunted with both styles of stock, but, just do better with a straight stock. On grouse. Woodcock too, but, haven't shot any, recently.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Caleb, why a straight stock? Gil

Gil,

I honestly don't have much of a good reason - I wish I did. I just kind of like them. Ever since I saw a picture of Frank Woolner's Winchester Model 59 auto with the English stock (his grouse getter), I just thought it looked kind of interesting. To my eyes, it looks interesting on a pump as well. I've also owned two O/U guns with English stocks and I enjoy them.

I think someone else on the board has a Winchester Model 12 with an English stock... Ted perhaps?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not me. My first year model 1912 20 gauge wears a reproduction stock from an Italian company-Sile, perhaps? I've forgotten the name.
But, it is a full pistol grip. I do own about half a dozen pump guns, perhaps 5 more than I need, but, I like 'em all.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry Ted!

I remember who it was. It was Lloyd...

Lloyd, if you happen to read this thread, please chime in with your thoughts!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another Ithaca question...

The barrel on my gun has the same serial as the receiver, however it also has a "-4" following the serial string on the barrel. Did Ithaca make different barrel weights and could this represent which barrel weight it was? Just speculating...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Straight stocks on pumps.....I've tried both and both work. I sold my M12 in 16 and I do miss it. Probably not as critical on a pump but still nice (if it fits, it's all about fit...& weight).

Sidelock
Sidelock

-4 is the choke. Full in this case. 2 is mod., 1 IC. etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Another Ithaca question...

The barrel on my gun has the same serial as the receiver, however it also has a "-4" following the serial string on the barrel. Did Ithaca make different barrel weights and could this represent which barrel weight it was? Just speculating...

No, Dude. That indicates a full choke. No promise it still is, but, it left Ithaca a full choke.

Shorter barrels are lighter. Longer barrels are heavier. Not much more to it than that.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.