Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Chicago #51934 08/10/07 09:07 AM
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To try and answer some of these questions I'm going to run out at lunch today and pattern it again just to see where it shoots for sure. Luckily, I've got a gun club about 15 minutes from my office. I have shot it once at clays and shot the lowest score I have ever shot. When I patterned it after I purchased it I was not happy with the POI and that's when I noticed the cast on. That's when I sent it to Mike O. Moving the stock helped but didn't move it far enough towards POA. I just can't remember if it was shooting high right or left because I did this in April and then forgot about it for a while until I shot it at clays.

I'll talk to you guys soon. Thanks for all the help.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Tom C #51962 08/10/07 02:35 PM
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was wrong. (It is hard to say!) I patterned the gun at 16 yards today. I took 5 shots from the right barrel at one target and then 5 shots at another from the left. The right barrel shoots about 4 1/2" left and 2" high. The left shots 3 1/2" left and 2" high. All 5 shots for each barrel were very consistent and it was very easy to see where the gun is shooting.

When I put an extension on of about 1/2" it dropped the pattern almost perfect. The extension was just a pad that compressed to about 1/2" thick.

So I would think that I need to add about 3/8" to 1/2" to the LOP and put about 1/4" cast off on the stock. Correct?

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C #51969 08/10/07 03:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd suggest you make a shootable pad and shoot some before committing to bending or a finished pad. Pattern some more, too. BTW, patterns are much easier to keep up with if you photo them with a good digital camers - include details in print on the pattern sheet.

Tom C #51970 08/10/07 03:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds right to me except you need to add 1/4" cast off to what you already have. If there is no cast at present then you are correct.

Enjoy your gun!

So many guns, so little time!
builder #51974 08/10/07 04:24 PM
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did take a few photos with my phone which turned out OK. If you want I will email a couple direct to you. I used graph paper made for an easel. It has 1" squares drawn on it and is about 2' x 3' so it makes evaluating your patterns simple.

The stock is cast neutral now. When I purchased it, it was cast on.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C #51992 08/10/07 06:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Add the extra pad and shoot the gun. In fact I would shoot if for several months. When it gets cold and you start wearing a heavy coat you may find that you do not need the extra pad. I tend to shoot two different guns in hot and cold weather.

Be aware that all guns do not have a point of impact that relates directly to the sight picture. Some hit high and some hit low or to one side or the other. I had a Parker that had barrels which did not converg at any reasonable range. The right barrel hit consistently about a foot too far to the left. When made the barrels were not well regulated.

KY Jon #52173 08/12/07 11:08 AM
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering having it shoot slightly high in warm weather so that when I am wearing a heavy jacket in cold weather it will shot dead on. Currently it shooting 2" high at 16 yards.

As far as left or right I would like it to shot where it points for me. Both barrels are shooting high and left (3-4 inches)almost to the exact point. I have shot it a number of times and have shot trap and clays with it. In fact, I shot the lowest clays score I have ever shot with it - kind of embarassing. Based on the pattering at 16 yards I can see why I can't hit anything with it - it's very obvious.

One question I still have is "am I asking too much to have the guns I shoot the most often, shoot to approximately the same spot? If I am shooting my Rizzini O/U for clays, my Gamba for pheasants or my Stevens 5100 for grouse shouldn't they all shoot to the approx. the same spot? Don't forget I have a short memory! How will I ever remember where to hold when that grouse pops up if they all shoot differantly?

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C #52185 08/12/07 12:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, it is not too much to ask and the answer is apparent to me. Send to Mike and add 1/4" cast off and that is it. During the summer use the slip on pad to lower the POI and in the winter take it off and your clothes will add the difference. Sounds like it will be to dead center for both seasons.

Tom C #52186 08/12/07 12:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, it is not too much to ask and the answer is apparent to me. Send to Mike and add 1/4" cast off and that is it. During the summer use the slip on pad to lower the POI and in the winter take it off and your clothes will add the difference. Sounds like it will be to dead center for both seasons.

The alternative would be to add a pad that is adjustable like the Morgan but that seems more trouble and expense than it is worth. Besides, the summer pad will protect the butt end when put in a rack.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.