March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#518710 07/18/18 10:29 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

These are some pictures of a custom rifle that Herschel owns, he is posting them in response to a thread started by eightbore to encourage participation. I was glad to post these pictures for him and would be glad to do so for any member of this forum.

Can you guess the stockmaker?

irs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shelhammer?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shelhamer

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shelhamer restyled Armory stock. The plugged sling swivel hole on the toe, and the inletting are the dead giveaway that the stock is an armory stock. The checkering, brass thing around the forend screw, and horn grip cap are the Shelhamer indicators. I've yet to see a Shelhamer stock without the brass thing around the screw, and all but one Shelhamer has had that exact same horn grip cap.

Very nice rifle. These armory stocks made into very nice looking stocks if done right. If you compare the original stock to one of Shelhamers restyled ones, you can see that there are some places where he did little more than remove the original finish from the stock, and other places where 1/4" of wood had to be removed.

Thanks for posting.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to PhysDoc for posting the pictures. When I bought the rifle it was represented to be a Shelhamer/Neidner. When I went to Petrov's Volume 2 to find some characteristics to satisfy myself that it was indeed a Shelhamer/Neidner I found a picture of this exact rifle on page 31. The serial number is not given in the text but the knot on the left side of the the stock near the buttplate and the the brown streak on the right side of the stock prove it is the same rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Herschel, That's a fine 22. Thanks for the chance to see it. My son has a Shelhamer- stocked Model 52 Winchester. It has a much smaller action , of course, but it isn't any more graceful than this one.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would love to see that one Bill.

John

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Say, I've often wondered, did Tom Shelhamer mark his stocks when he worked for Niedner? In Michael's second volume, he wrote
"After the war when Tom Shelhamer left the Niedner Rifle Corporation and started working out of his home he begin (sic) the practice of not only stamping his name 'T. SHELHAMER' and a number under the buttplate in the wood."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only taken the buttplate off 4 Shelhamer rifles from the Niedner days, but none of those had his stamp. Every later rifle I had had a chance to take apart has had the stamp and number. It is a one piece stamp. For what it is worth, I have seen at least one rifle that said T Shelhamer under the buttplate stamped with individual characters. The workmanship on said rifle did not support it being made by the same Tom Shelhamer that we are familiar with.

John

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks John, I appreciate that clarification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.