May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Borderbill, Kolar Dickson, 1 invisible), 323 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,690
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Stretching the budget, but really nice with some weight:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=100564606
JR

The only reason I can envision for owning a .410 is "Lack of Weight".

Then you should broaden your vision, 2-piper. Never assign certain weight parameters to a shotgun gauge, but only to its purpose. A well-balanced 7 1/2 lb. long-barreled .410 is pure fun on clays and doves. A serpentine little marvel with no recoil.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ryman Gun Dog
JR,
It says L.C. Smith on the gun, Marlin Contracted Zabala in Spain to make/supply a modern L.C. Smith double gun, not a reproduction. Marlin had the rights/ownership to L.C. Smith, and now Remington has purchased Marlin giving them ownership of L.C. Smith.

It is legally an L.C. Smith Zabala made gun for Marlin.

Ryan Gun Dog

Ok, Ill go along with L.C. Smith Zabala made gun for Marlin, but it ain't an L. C. Smith. You know it, I know it, Marlin knows it, Zabala knows it, everybody knows it. End of story.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JR,

You are certainly welcome to your own opinion, I understand your thinking and I agree that the Zabala engineering on the modern 28 Gauge L.C. Smith is not only different from the original Hunter Arms L.C. Smith guns, the quality is definitely not even comparable.

If Marlin would have contracted Uggie to make a true Side Lock, with the Brown Rotary Bolt, the modern 28 would have been accepted more readily, by the owners of the original L.C. Smith double guns.

Now that Remington owns the rights to Hunter Arms L.C. Smith, it would be great if Remington Contracted Tony G to produce a real 28 Gauge #5 Hunter Arms L.C. Smith Double Gun, with all the correct Hunter Arms Engineering. Including the Krupp Barrels, Brown Rotary Bolt, DT, or SST, Jeweled Side Lock Internal Works and choice of either single or double safety, and screw in chokes only as a special order option. I do believe Remington received the last of the original Hunter Arms French Walnut Wood when they purchased Marlin, so original wood stock should not be a problem, at least for a limited run.

I know at one time Tony wanted to make the L.C. Smith, as he has done with the Fox, he may not even want to now, the cost today could be staggering and prohibitive, and contracting the engraving to be similar to Kraus's would be a serious challenge.

We can only dream that it might happen. Where and when do I send my down payment!

Ryman Gun Dog

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 07/19/18 11:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not used a 410 on wild game since I was a kid, but I have used a 16 with 410 inserts on preserve birds with good effect. You found just buy an adapter set to play with a bit before going whole hog into another gun.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To the OP & in the FWIW Dept. I've had good results on dove using the 3" Fiocchi ammunition loaded w/ 11/16oz. #7.5 shot in a model 42 w/full choke.

Stan's previously noted distance limitations are accurate in my experience as well. Flukes happen, but you can't take them to the bank.

I'd say to use what points best for you; dove can be fleeting targets and use the above ammo if you are using a 3" chambered gun or the newer 2.5" WWAA sporty clays rounds in #8.5 for best results. I'm not a fan of the smaller shot sizes for bagging dove, but that particular ammo has printed some very nice patterns on the grease plate for me & produced some impressive scores in sporty clays competitions for others. Dove are not hard to kill, but they can be difficult to hit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
I have a bunch of .410s and my favorite is a Browning Feather XS Sporting with 30" barrels. It is almost perfect, also discontinued, sometimes available around $2K. I have heard that Browning now has a Citori .410 with 32" barrels. 42s are nice, but I get tired of chasing those tiny hulls in the brush.

A good option if you can find it would be the Ruger Red Label 28ga in 28" with a set of the Ruger-labeled Briley .410 tubes. Gun is light enough that the tubes don't matter much, you get two gauges, and the Ruger tubes have 3" chambers.

I hav e a Red Label 28 gauge Ruger. Does anyone know where I could find a set of these Briley .419 tubes?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah,l let's make that ".410 tubes"!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I hav e a Red Label 28 gauge Ruger. Does anyone know where I could find a set of these Briley .419 tubes?

Briley made the tube sets for Ruger. with Ruger labels. At that time the Ruger sets had 3" chambers for hunters, while the Briley-labeled sets came with 2-1/2" chambers for skeet shooters. Pretty sure they came in both 26" and 28". I have a Red Label 28g/28" (sweet gun) and I don't recall ever seeing a set of Ruger tubes in the secondary market. With the discontinuation of the Red Label, it's probably worth calling Ruger to see if they have any tube sets sitting in the warehouse. I'm just guessing that if you call Cheaper Than Dirt, they will tell you they don't actually have any of those tube sets. Seems to be SOP for them the last few years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My collection houses many .410s, but the ultimate for doves and pheasants is a 30" Iver Johnson Skeeter with Miller trigger and ejectors. Yes, 30" barrels heavy on the chokes. Don't make me any offers on it, since I have told The Lovely Linda to send it to Stan if anything tragic ever happened to me. He is a great guy and knows which end the shot comes out.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.